Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 N/A Engine Swap

Views : 619

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2018, 21:43   #1
RamSwa

Default 850 N/A Engine Swap

I know this has been discussed before, but all I can find is american stuff or people just saying that its a waste of time. I have come into a situation where I picked up a 81000 miles 2.0 B5204FS (143HP) volvo 850 for £400.

Recently I have picked up a B5204T(210hp) engine from italy for £100. yes £100 and it is working and comes with the ecu, injectors, fuel rail and some selection of pipes and cooling pipes. I have also got the engine bay wiring harness with it as well.

The only other engine swap I have done was swapping an FTO V6 into a 1998 Colt.

As I got the parts and the car so cheap, how hard is it going to be to get this swap done. I understand that it would be cheaper to buy a turbo 850. But not where I am, and probably not for less than it will cost me to do this conversion.

I was curious if I could use the current N/A wiring harness and run wires for the boost gauge as they are the same block. Asking as the harness seems to have a connector cut off. Can get a picture if needed but it has all the connections for the engine parts.

Also anything else I need or need to look out for.

Thanks for your time!
RamSwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 17:23   #2
scouskie

Welcome to the fun! I've done a few of these over the years

From my experience if you have a 20v engine with a single ecu then as far as wiring goes you won't have much issues majority of not all will be plug and play for it

There's no shortage of us in Swansea and neath also so will be someone to help

Any more Q or if need to see a running car for comparison then feel free to give me a pm
scouskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 15:06   #3
RamSwa

Thanks,

Ive stripped the engine mostly and it seems its actually from the s70 not the 850. Just out of curiosity before I turn it into a coffee table or scrap, would it be worth hanging onto the pistons, crank and camshafts? Dont know if its possible to convert the B5204FS into a turbo engine with these parts. Yes im aware the oils channels will be missing but ive also got the sump with the oil pickup.

I have the 2 ecu engine.
RamSwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 19:37   #4
scouskie

It is possible and has been done in USA can't recall the forums but look for 850 +t conversion,
Out of preference I'd stick the turbo block you have into your car and go from there

I'm not completely clued up on the European 2.0 t5

Is your car auto or manual?
If do have twin ecu for fuel and ignition then you will néed to swap entire loom from fuse box forward (whole engine bay loom)
As there are a good few wiring differences

The motronic ecu will not plug into the current looms..
Having just done this myself I looked into adding the extra wiring but too many differences and dudderent plug connections
scouskie is offline   Reply With Quote