Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Gearbox

Views : 5438

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2018, 06:48   #11
ISW001

Well it’s happened again
After 2 months without any problem parked car on Tuesday night to go into a shop came out and gearbox will not move out of P position
All other parts of car work fine engine starts seatbelt is on all displays looked normal
Left the car locked again for 10 mins tried again still no joy
As I was only 10 mins from home locked car and walked home
Left the car for an hour and upon return to it got it to go into D position but a loud clunk from the gearbox and now have “gearbox service required error message displayed
Booked into dealers today will let you know the outcome
Read about the solenoid but didn’t fancy taking off the left side carpet panel
Anyone else had the gearbox service message?.
ISW001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 09:33   #12
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
got it to go into D position but a loud clunk from the gearbox
I don't think I'd be using those exact words at the dealer, as it reads as though you forced it past the solenoid lock.

"It moved easily into D, but then there was a loud clunk..." is how I'd be playing it. :-)
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 09:45   #13
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
I don't think I'd be using those exact words at the dealer, as it reads as though you forced it past the solenoid lock.

"It moved easily into D, but then there was a loud clunk..." is how I'd be playing it. :-)
It's an electronic shifter in the T8, so you can't force it into gear as you would a mechanical one.

I take your point about the dealer, but in my experience these days, they don't really care - the computer will simply tell them if something's wrong. If not, then "they can't see any problem with...xyz"
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 10:04   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Yes the T8 is a joystick electronic shifter.

My take on the issue is that there was a load on the box which made it too hard for the car to get the box out of park so it just didnt shift out of park. If it was me I would take the hand brake off with it stuck in Park. Try and rock the car back and forth and then put handbrake back on. Then try and shift it out of Park.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 12:49   #15
ISW001

Default Auto Gearbox Update

Hi Philip

Thinking about it you may have a point
Both times this has happened i have been parked on an angle
Will mention this to dealer when i collect car later
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 16:51   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

In autos of old I used to put the handbrake on, then let off the footbrake and let the car settle on the brakes, then put in park. This way there was little strain on the box and no clunk coming out of park.

If I just put it in park and handbrake at the same time, then released the footbrake then on occasions, especially if on a slope, it would clunk and thump out of park on starting back up and moving away.

That said on my XC90 with the auto handbrake and auto putting into park I am more lax. My drive is on a slope too and I have never had a problem. I cant actually think what I do on the drive at night so I will check what I actually do tonight and see if it is brakes first or into Park first and we can compare to what you do and see if that could be your issue.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 19:25   #17
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Ok so how I use my car is as follows:.

Car is permanently in auto handbrake.
Reverse onto drive. Stop. Foot off brake. Dash shows A in amber colour, then automatically switches to a P in red.
Turn off engine. Car automatically puts itself into Park. Car does seem to then settle a tiny bit forward.

I never press P on the side of the shifter.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 06:44   #18
dblogic

My wife had exactly the same problem on Wednesday with our XC90 T8. First time this has happened.
Normally I drive the car using my profile which auto handbrakes and switches to park when I turn the car off.
I'd used the car earlier but using her key and hence profile but can't remember what I did when I parked in our usual place at the office (slight downward slope after reversing in). She believes her profile doesn't do the handbrake as she says she manually applies it (she doesn't drive the car very often and often using my key) and press P
Locking the car for a few seconds didn't work but leaving it 5min or so did. I also connected the charge cable and checked that car warned about starting with cable attached so I guess locking was activated a couple of times so that I could remove cable.
Didn't notice any clunk when it did work though although I think I was just happy it worked
Would add some credence to gearbox park lock though.
It's due it's first service in 2 weeks so would be interested in what others have found to see if it something that needs to be checked or not.
I'll check my wife's profile settings at weekend.
dblogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 07:24   #19
ISW001

Hi dblogic
As per my posts I have had the locked auto gearbox twice now
Dealer had car for 2 days and could not find any fault in the gearbox or replicate the issue
Both times I have been parked on a slope and like you auto handbrake is always on so when I stop the car it engages and the when switched off park activates
The second time it happened I had the gearbox selector service required error but dealer says that does not give a specific problem just that the gearbox has a problem and the sensor has triggered
They say they have checked the gearbox and no issue found
They did ask if the glass shifter illuminated when trying to select gears but in daylight it is hard to tell so I don’t know
They have said if it happens again and I’m local to ring and they will send their tech out whist the problem is live so he can see what is happening
They say they contacted Sweden and they have not seen this issue but advised them to install full software update which they have done
So fingers crossed
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 07:36   #20
dblogic

Hi
Thanks for the update.
Didn't get any errors or messages but I'm certain it must be linked to using my wife's profile and possibly different auto hand brake settings but need to check.
So far no re-occurance so hopefully just a software glitch. Service in a couple of weeks when I've asked for a full software update anyway.
See you're in Birmingham wonder which dealer you use as I use Paul Rigby on the Chester road.
Cheers
dblogic is offline   Reply With Quote