Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA DICE Problems

Views : 1936

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 20:57   #1
IainG
Premier Member

Default VIDA DICE Problems

Hi
I have had a DICE unit for about 5 years and has, up to now, worked perfectly.
I have done a lot of searching but not found similar faults.
It is the unit with 4 blue lights.
I have VIDA on a laptop on a dual boot running on XP that has worked perfectly for the 5 years with the DICE.
There is no network connected on the laptop for XP, so there has been no updates or changes to the OS or programs.

I also have VIDA on my mac. Again running dual boot with XP within a VM. Again no network connection so no updates.

Vida stopped working a while ago as the date had expired, I updated both the VIDA programs with the patch(linked on here) to allow it to carry on working. Both VIDA programs still work

Now neither the laptop nor the mac will communicate with the DICE.
When I check within XP(Device manager) on both the mac and laptop, it says the device is working correctly.
When I test using the DICE test tool there are various errors, see screen shot below.
I am not actually sure if I have actually used the DICE since getting the VIDA to work again with the date patch or not.

What is the best way forward? any ideas.
I have thought of trying to do a firmware update on the DICE but have heard some will accept an update and some will get trashed.
Just after suggestions to find a way ahead to fault find to see if can get it working again.
Reluctant to reload VIDA as it was working on both machines and I will end up in the same place again as I will have to do the Date patch again.

Any ideas?
Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4082.jpg (247.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by IainG; Sep 23rd, 2018 at 21:00.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:49   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi again

I suppose a couple of the questions I am asking are,

Has anyone successfully updated the firmware on a DICE with the blue lights?

and

Does the firmware of the DICE have to match the specific version of VIDA software?

hopefully
Iain
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:44   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Most cloned DIVE units fail if you try to update their firmware.
You'll likely brick the device.

So try if you want, but be aware of the risks - you might brick it and have to throw it away afterwards...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 15:31   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Most cloned DIVE units fail if you try to update their firmware.
You'll likely brick the device.

So try if you want, but be aware of the risks - you might brick it and have to throw it away afterwards...

Iain
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:49   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Think I have found something to try.
Found this

I have Vida 2013A and the patch I used was for 2014.
This (below)makes sense. I have just reapplied my 2013 patch and VIDA has stopped working due to the date, as expected. I am now going to try and edit the 2013 patch and reapply.

From here

https://www.volvov40club.com/forums/...-expiring.html

Quote:
However, the license file changes for each version of VIDA (certainly between years but also I think between the quarterly releases, so the 2014D patch won't work on 2013D and may not nork on 2014A either). You can modify the license file and apply the patch data manually, but you do need the original patch file you ran when you installed the version of VIDA you have. You also need to download a program called WinRAR to extract files from the original executable that you need to modify and run.

Rename the patch executable from .exe to .rar and use WinRAR to open it. Inside you will see a file structure - navigate down from 'VIDA' to 'patch' and you will see the 3 files you need to extract.
A windows batch file called filldb.cmd
An SQL database query script file called filldb.sql
the VIDA license file called license

These files need to be copied into a new directory called 'patch' in the VIDA home directory (normally C:\VIDA\, i.e. C:\VIDA\patch)
You then edit the license file in Notepad and search for the string 'subscriptionExpireDate', you will find a date after it ("2017-12-31 23:59:59"). Change the year to whatever you want (within reason) and save the file.

Stop the VIDA service from the task bar by right clicking on the icon and selecting Stop, and run the filldb.cmd command file (preferably from a command line window while in the C:\VIDA\patch directory). This then creates an SQL script file to write the data from the license file into VIDA's SQL database and runs it using the MS SQL script interface.

Restart the VIDA service by right-clicking on the task bar icon, and once it's status shows as 'Running' try starting and logging in to VIDA All In One. The expiry warning should have gone.
Iain
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 06:47   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
So far no success.
Went to my mates house as he is very good with computers.
Last night we modified the 2013a patch and applied it. VIDA works again but still won't see the DICE.
Windows is happy with the DICE but VIDA can't see it.
Our thoughts are that the 2014 patch has modified something else apart from the date. So reapplying the 2013 patch has caused VIDA to work again but something else has been altered with the 2014 patch that has not been reversed.
Plan B
I will un install VIDA.
Then reinstall but only apply the modified 2013A patch.
To be continued!

Iain
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:20   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

A screenshot of the problem would really help.....
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 17:20   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Screen shot on first post.
I have the 2013a software but I put on the patch for the 2014 (link from this forum)to get it to work with the new date.
The 2014 patch did get VIDA working but we think caused the problem with the communication with the DICE.
Windows says the DICE is fine but VIDA can't see it.
The 2014 patch is the only thing I have done, to both the MAC and the windows laptop.
Another forum has said the 2014 patch causes problems with the 2013 VIDA.
Quote:
However, the license file changes for each version of VIDA (certainly between years but also I think between the quarterly releases, so the 2014D patch won't work on 2013D and may not nork on 2014A either). You can modify the license file and apply the patch data manually, but you do need the original patch file you ran when you installed the version of VIDA you have. You also need to download a program called WinRAR to extract files from the original executable that you need to modify and run.
I did reapply a modified 2013 patch. VIDA is still working but still can't see the DICE.
We wonder if the 2014 patch has modified something and reapplying the 2013 patch has not sorted it totally.
Just going to reload VIDA from the original disc and then use the patch(modified for the expiry date) that came with the 2013 Disc.
Will have a go tomorrow.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Sep 26th, 2018 at 17:28.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 18:07   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Screen shot on first post.
I meant more a shot of the vehicle profile screen where the Dice isn't being recognised.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 19:45   #10
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Just going away for a week so can't do it tonight.
On the mac the DICE is still listed in the window and the diagnostics can talk to the DICE and came up with those errors on the screenshot.

On the laptop when I had problems I clicked on "disconnect" for the DICE hoping to re connect. Unfortunately VIDA can't see it so won't reconnect and therefore can't run the Diagnostics. It does not show in the "communication tool window" that should show the DICE number
And the DICE number does not show in the DICE diagnostics program, so therefore can't test it.
Will be at parents house tomorrow so will spend a couple of hours just reloading it from scratch as if it were a new install.

It worked on the laptop before and the laptop does not get connected to any network so should just reload again.
Will know tomorrow evening and let you know

Iain
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post: