Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery Light flickering then staying on.

Views : 1161

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 09:31   #1
id101

Default Battery Light flickering then staying on.

hi there,

i'm thinking i may have a broken alternator what happened was i thought i noticed a light flickering whilst driving back form work but no error messages or anything. then driving to work the next morning i actually noticed it as it happened more often but also an electrical system error message but again it only flickered on and off so it didnt stay on long enough to read it. then on way home again it flickered some more and then stayed on for 20 minutes then flickered a few more times before staying on again. turned as much electrical stuff as i could whilst driving back but battery pretty much dead now as it wont turn over, ie starter clicking and all dash lights light up and dim when turning ignition, so battery dead.

in all the time driving it it never coughed, spluttered or anything like that.

my question is, is it likey the alternator dead or could it be a dodgy wire due to the way it was flickering and gradually gettting worse? or am i looking at something completely different.

ta.
id101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:30   #2
bertuk

hi id101 check the battery earth straps etc make sure they are tight and not corroding or loose, does sound like your alternator many need replacing or reconditioning, also have the battery checked
bertuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:34   #3
id101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertuk View Post
hi id101 check the battery earth straps etc make sure they are tight and not corroding or loose, does sound like your alternator many need replacing or reconditioning, also have the battery checked

cheers.

just had a look again, doesnt look corroded particularly, i'll try cleaning them up. tried starting it, there was a bit of charge caught by surprise otherwise i prob would have go it running, however the warning message and battery light didnt stay on or in the cae of warning message stay on afterwrds.

all very strange!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 19:06   #4
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Sounds like a charge fault.

get your multimeter out and make sure your getting 14v at the battery when the engine is running.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 20:49   #5
bombay121

Hi there,

When my alternator went the red battery light would come on as well as a warning message in the DIM and a red triangle. The message was 'electrical system failure stop safely' this happened quite a few times while on the motorway, I would pull over to the hard shoulder turn off the ignition and start it again and it was fine. Can you get a fault code reader as when mine went it was storing messages?

Cheers
Dan
bombay121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 22:41   #6
id101

jump started it earlier, started off ok no warning lights, then after a minute or so battery light returned and elec system failure msg. then a few minutes later the tickover went from smooth to not firing on all cylinders and gradually died till it stopped all in about 30seocnds to 1 minute whilst the warning lights on the dash appeared to go mental all flashing on and off! battery is on charge now overnight.

is it still most likely the alternator?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 15:38   #7
Georgey dee
Premier Member

It does sound like the Alternator.

Your battery will be shot now too as they don't like rapid dis-charging followed by a rapid re-charge.
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 19:02   #8
skorjancl

Hi id101 and the rest of the forum.

Don't want to spam the forum with same thread. I have an exact issue on my 2004 s60 d5. First the battery light appeared on the dashboard than went away. The next day it started appearing more frequently and lastly it stayed on to the part that ABS turned off and anti skid module etc. Clearly its running out of electricity. Checked my alternator and its charging with 14.2. So my question.. have you figured out your problem? Diodes, voltage regulator.. Some other beast?

Thanks and all the best,
Luka
skorjancl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 22:35   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Hi Luka,
Set your meter to a low AC voltage and check the charging. A small value like one volt is acceptable but 20 volts is not.
If a diode fails in the rectifier it can still put out 14 Volts at idle with low load but will not be able to keep the system voltage high under load and some modules will start to signal warnings if the voltage is too low..
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote