Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

Views : 84956

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY AWD ISSUES
YES I HAVE HAD AWD ISSUES 231 53.35%
NO I HAVE NOT HAD AWD ISSUES 202 46.65%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11th, 2016, 21:22   #281
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBee View Post
MY car is a 54 reg T6, running on LPG (not that that makes any difference).
A message keeps appearing on the dash saying "Anti-skid needs servicing".
Took it to a Volvo inependent, who put it on the Volvo computer and it says that the DEM (differential Electronic module) has failed. It also says that every module after that one around the car's network has failed, but as that includes the BCM, ECM, CEM, MMM, PHM, SAS and TCM, and the car runs fine, they and I are assuming that it's the network that is the problem beyond the DEM, and not the modules themselves.

Here's my problem. I sent the DEM off to be repaired by ECU Testing, and it has come back beyond repair. A new one is almost £1500 plus VAT from Volvo. It is a 5 inch by 4 inch casting containing a single circuit board. I can get one off Ebay for sensible money, but I am being told that unless you marry it electronically to the car it won't work.

Simple question - does anyone know if an Ebay module will actually work, or is the car effectively not saleable? We know that all the module does is turn what is a front wheel drive car into a four wheel drive car when the ABS detects front wheelspin, but most punters out there think the XC90 is a permanent four wheel drive.
The split is 10% to the rear and 90% to the front all the time the traction control is not in use so it is permanent four wheel drive. Just set up for stability in a straight line. However when the front loses grip or you are in a corner or are accelerating it switches to 50% / 50% front and rear. Also switches left and right side depending on conditions.

The modules have a unique individual code number and the CEM has a list of the codes for each one and runs a check and won't recognise module numbers not on it's list. You may fit it and it will work until the car runs a check and then it won't work and the car may not run at all. I think it is possible to get the car to recognise the module with VIDA by a dealer or maybe an independent but I don't know the procedure.

It's all part of the security system I'm afraid. So good in one way and bad in another.
Old May 13th, 2016, 22:21   #282
mark239

Bought the wife a 185 D5 XC90, 4x4 wasn't working.

I needed to swap the pump and the pressure sensor in the haldex unit. It was reasonably cheap, as I didn't use volvo branded parts, I used land rover parts - search my recent posts to see.

Every other XC90 I've seen since that has a 4x4 problem has been either the pump, the pressure sensor or both. Very easy fixes.
mark239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 22:26   #283
mark239

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolie View Post
Can anyone recommend where to buy 30787988 service kit searched online but not much luck.
Get the filter kit on ebay, cant remember how much but I think it was under £20.

GSF have haldex oil for about £20 - thinkI used 1 and a bit of these
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/525vg0020

or
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/525vg0040
mark239 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark239 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 19:12   #284
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark239 View Post
Get the filter kit on ebay, cant remember how much but I think it was under £20.

GSF have haldex oil for about £20 - thinkI used 1 and a bit of these
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/525vg0020

or
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/525vg0040

I think genuine Volvo oil for my haldex was £16, I think that was a litre.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 20:14   #285
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Oil from Volvo £14.40 per litre, filter is £23.76.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 21:44   #286
sreviz
Master Member

How many litres we need please to change?
Thank you.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 22:18   #287
Robert2
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
I'm very interested as my Sister is looking at XC90 D5s

my poll is prompted by this thread
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66098

let's have a show of hands to get a clearer picture on this issue
feel free to add the cost of repair to your reply

if it is a problem but not a big ££££'s Problem, then not so bad in the grand scheme of things

thank you all in advance
It might have been better to have been specific around the age of the vehicle you're after. asking 'Have you ever had an AWD issue' to someone that has had an XC90 for 15 years will be different to someone that buys one three years old and sells when it hits 6. You won't get an accurate picture.
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 20:03   #288
2PEEZ

Yes me ( I think ) Could a kind soul please take a look at my thread titled "Issues" please 🙁
2PEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 22:37   #289
Piskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBee View Post
MY car is a 54 reg T6, running on LPG (not that that makes any difference).
A message keeps appearing on the dash saying "Anti-skid needs servicing".
Took it to a Volvo inependent, who put it on the Volvo computer and it says that the DEM (differential Electronic module) has failed. It also says that every module after that one around the car's network has failed, but as that includes the BCM, ECM, CEM, MMM, PHM, SAS and TCM, and the car runs fine, they and I are assuming that it's the network that is the problem beyond the DEM, and not the modules themselves.

Here's my problem. I sent the DEM off to be repaired by ECU Testing, and it has come back beyond repair. A new one is almost £1500 plus VAT from Volvo. It is a 5 inch by 4 inch casting containing a single circuit board. I can get one off Ebay for sensible money, but I am being told that unless you marry it electronically to the car it won't work.

Simple question - does anyone know if an Ebay module will actually work, or is the car effectively not saleable? We know that all the module does is turn what is a front wheel drive car into a four wheel drive car when the ABS detects front wheelspin, but most punters out there think the XC90 is a permanent four wheel drive.
I believe that the DEM is coded to the car (presumably to stop thieves undoing the two bolts and the electric plugs and making off with a £2000 unit)

You can get them repaired. I used a chap called Lukas at www.volvodiagnostics.com £110 for repair or £360 for a refurbished unit which will be coded to your car. Great service, just send the DEM off by post and get it back (or a new one) a few days later.
Piskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 13:44   #290
nish1013

Is this count as AWD issue?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266336
nish1013 is offline   Reply With Quote