Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar upgrade

Views : 26166

Replies : 153

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 11:48   #21
Mrjon
Master Member

This is great, thanks.It shows I'd get my money back in a little over 2 years with a 9% increase in mpg, or only require a 3% increase if I keep the car for 5 years.
Its worth noting though for anyone buying a new car and taking advantage of the £300 for 3 years service deal that only the polestar upgrade is allowed.

I'd personally buy the polestar for increased drive rather than economy,but its great to know it would pay for itself .The bigger power to weight ratio the better for the tactical driving required on todays motorways is how I see it.

I think I'll run the standard engine for a while first, that way I'll feel the benefit of the upgrade more
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:06   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
This is great, thanks.It shows I'd get my money back in a little over 2 years with a 9% increase in mpg, or only require a 3% increase if I keep the car for 5 years.
Its worth noting though for anyone buying a new car and taking advantage of the £300 for 3 years service deal that only the polestar upgrade is allowed.

I'd personally buy the polestar for increased drive rather than economy,but its great to know it would pay for itself .The bigger power to weight ratio the better for the tactical driving required on todays motorways is how I see it.

I think I'll run the standard engine for a while first, that way I'll feel the benefit of the upgrade more
Thanks to Darb for explaining what i meant ..

If you think you will get better economy with this upgrade please think again . volvo themselves claim the same economy ,(The engine control system upgrades offer a power increase of 20 horsepower to 205 PS, without affecting the car's fuel consumption in normal driving.) which further explains what i meant in my above post, Note they say "Normal Driving" which is the area of the map which remains the same ,dont you think that if there was the slightest reduction in fuel consumtion they would take out full page advertisments promoting this ? No , its not an economy upgrade at all .. and to be honest the 20 bhp and torque increase is certainly not worth £650 or the difference you will feel . best get to drive the car in standard form first , i'm sure you will find it entirely adequate :-)
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:16   #23
Mrjon
Master Member

I'm sure you're right.I see someone has spotted the upgrade for £515 which is a bit better.Still its going to take me 3 years to scrape up 500 quid, after buying this car I'm going to be broke,got a new motorbike on order as well which may have to be cancelled, unless I can get a good price for the wife on Ebay (which I doubt)
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 08:45   #24
richy2

It's actually not uncommon for these types of upgrades to result in improvements for 'normal' mpg, the increased engine output and ease at which it will get to and maintain a speed can result in less throttle input and therefore more mpg. Whilst the Volvo/Polestar information is likely to be correct about not affecting the mpg who actually manages to reach manufacturer mpg data on a regular basis, especially in many of todays diesel cars, what would be entirely feasible is that it's easier to reach the mftr numbers with it fitted than without.

Personally I'd only fit it with the performance in mind however again the same principle applies, as someone who'll be towing a fair amount with my XC60 when it arrives I'd expect the Polestar to ease my mpg whilst towing somewhat.

I've had half a dozen remapped cars, petrol and diesel, and I've yet to have one that doesn't perform this way.
richy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:39   #25
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm sure you're right.I see someone has spotted the upgrade for £515 which is a bit better.Still its going to take me 3 years to scrape up 500 quid, after buying this car I'm going to be broke,got a new motorbike on order as well which may have to be cancelled, unless I can get a good price for the wife on Ebay (which I doubt)
Lol.Just put a decent reserve on her.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 12:00   #26
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Personally, I always use unwantedharem.com to sell surplus spouses. Perhaps you'll get a better price for Mrsjon there. Apparently Andy Gray is a big customer, and he does have some time (and plenty of cash) on his hands at the moment.......

Last edited by Matteus XC60; Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:10.
Matteus XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matteus XC60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 17:18   #27
Mrjon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
Personally, I always use unwantedharem.com to sell surplus spouses. Perhaps you'll get a better price for Mrsjon there.
LOL, just typed that in and am very disappointed to find it doesn't exist!, good business opportunity there,could become a internet millionaire !
Selling her on Ebay is obviously a silly idea,..there'd be no one to cook my dinner, best just rent her out by the hour!

(just a bit of banter ...don't shoot!)
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 18:50   #28
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
best just rent her out by the hour
An hour! That's still enough time for a 58 minute fag break LOL
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 19:05   #29
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60KEV View Post
An hour! That's still enough time for a 58 minute fag break LOL
Your good Kev, he he
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 19:22   #30
darbs
XC60 Owner

all this talk about mrs jon, extra torque, mid range power and fag breaks is very confusing!
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote