Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Calling Mike Alder!!! Do I have ETM issues?!

Views : 2140

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 08:40   #1
dmrider

Default Calling Mike Alder!!! Do I have ETM issues?!

*Mike! This is Doughy who works in 31H! Just bought a V70 estate which you might have seen outside 31?!? Ive spotted your volvo about. Came on here looking for advice, saw you were based in blackpool and then saw your name! ha. Seems like your pretty up on these ETM issues? Im trying to work out if thats the problem I have at the minute. Guessing the one you have now is not your first volvo then?! Tried to PM you but cant until I have 30 posts*

For everyone else on here:

Hi first post. Ive not long bought a V70 Estate 2.4 non turbo with 110,000 on the clock. It was fine for the first few weeks but now all of a sudden seems to have idling issues, Ill try to describe them best I can:

From cold, the idle is up and down and the car feels close to stalling, pulling away is pretty jerky

Once warm, the idle only hunts slightly up and down,maybe from 950-750rpm

When knocking it out of gear, it will overshoot idle and then go up again, but never stalls

If you leave it in gear and go below around 2000rpm, it starts to feel a touch jerky, and below 1400rpm is noticably jerky

Above 2000rpm it drives fine

When accelerating hard or lightly at any rpm, it drives fine.

From that info, does it look like I have ETM problems?

Cheers
dmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 09:25   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Sounds like it just needs a clean up. Best thing is to take if off and clean up the inside and throttle flap. Refit with a new gasket, not expensive from Volvo

Most of the ones I have seen with idle problems can be solved that way
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 09:29   #3
dmrider

That was going to be first port of call really. Im guessing the worst thing I can do is to remove the TB itself as it then needs recalibrating to the ECU?
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 20:38   #4
Thanatos
VOC Member

On the 2.4 na engine it's 4 10mm bolts remove the throttle body and use some carb cleaner and clean both sides with carb cleaner and a tooth brush

You won't be able to full remove it from the car as the wiring goes behind the starter motor

Does the ETM light come on and go off and has it ever stayed on
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 20:39   #5
Thanatos
VOC Member

On the 2.4 na engine it's 4 10mm bolts remove the throttle body and use some carb cleaner and clean both sides with carb cleaner and a tooth brush

You won't be able to full remove it from the car as the wiring goes behind the starter motor

Does the ETM light come on and go off and has it ever stayed on

The other thing is you might want to get the codes read as it could be something else
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 09:35   #6
dmrider

Thanks for the input.

Well the check engine light has been on since I bougth it but as it drove fine and wasnt using excessive fuel or anything I ignored it (bought the car from a friend cheap). So your right I could do with getting codes read really.

Does it have a designated ETM light? Nothing comes on and off no, only the engine light stays on
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 10:00   #7
Thanatos
VOC Member

Yeah the car will have a dedicated etm light that should come on and go off if not check the bulb as the eml is on it needs the codes read
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 12:56   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

Get a can of carb cleaner and we can try cleaning it out at lunchtime Thusday, I assume you have the silver V70 that I noticed SS recently, can also plug the diagnostics in to see why the light is on, give me a ring on the office number once you read this - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post: