Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Running out of fuel

Views : 2497

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2016, 03:11   #1
cstone

Default XC70 Running out of fuel

Twice now my 15 plate XC70 D5 lux has run out of fuel despite it showing more than 30 miles left in the tank. I am aware that at one point, Volvo had issues with the sensors and would repair/replace when it got serviced but i checked with Volvo and mine has indeed been done. The problem is aswell that it has the digital display so apart from the fuel bars down the side showing every 8th, I have no other way of knowing.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Just annoying that I am having to drive around not really knowing how much fuel I have left in the tank
cstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 07:43   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I never have that problem I treat half a tank as needing fuel and top up as soon as convenient.
1/4 tank is empty and fill as soon as possible.

I have no faith in electronic gauges, my oil level gauge was happily reading 100% when in fact the oil level barely reached the min mark on the dipstick. Half a litre of oil later and I was happy to tow the caravan 430 miles to Scotland.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 10:07   #3
Billggski

The read out is an estimate based on the fuel used in last fifty miles or so. Not a definitive prediction of how far to go. I never go below 100 miles or two bars. (If I can help it)
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 10:16   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Why oh why do people insist on running the fuel tank so low .

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 11:35   #5
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Why oh why do people insist on running the fuel tank so low .
Because they do alot of miles and otherwise would be constantly visiting fuel stations?

I used to do 800 miles a week. Three trips to work at 260 miles a trip. The difference between filling up at about a quarter tank and lower was probably a refill each week extra. Plus of course quarter tank might be on the motorway at extortionate prices....

I now fill when I pass a decent priced petrol station - that might be at a quarter tank or before as I do much fewer miles and its not the issue it once was. However, I wont worry if it goes below a quarter tank and only feel a need to get fuel when range is below 70 miles and warning light comes on....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 12:31   #6
cstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Because they do alot of miles and otherwise would be constantly visiting fuel stations?

I used to do 800 miles a week. Three trips to work at 260 miles a trip. The difference between filling up at about a quarter tank and lower was probably a refill each week extra. Plus of course quarter tank might be on the motorway at extortionate prices....

I now fill when I pass a decent priced petrol station - that might be at a quarter tank or before as I do much fewer miles and its not the issue it once was. However, I wont worry if it goes below a quarter tank and only feel a need to get fuel when range is below 70 miles and warning light comes on....
This is exactly what has happened to me twice. both been 150 miles plus trips and i am closer to a cheeper fuel station rather than the 20p plus more expensive motorway ones, i will always try and wait to get to another, especially if my car has only just told me I need fuel.

This was more a post to see if anyone is still having fuel inaccuracies after volvo have apparently fixed the issue they admitted was there?
cstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 14:13   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
...... The difference between filling up at about a quarter tank and lower was probably a refill each week extra.
That's kind of understandable but your strategy of playing fuel level chicken isn't exactly saving the time that's so precious to you.

Time at the pump to fill up is <5 minutes versus the time taken to sort running out of fuel which is considerably longer I imagine.....

When I was regularly doing big miles (2000 a week), I just accepted that fuelling up was par for the course.
Now I do small miles like your 800 a week and fuelling up doesn't even register as a concern.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 17:27   #8
V70Zig
Master Member

Wink

Treat yourself to a Jerry Can......I've got one in the boot but never needed it !
Use it a couple of times a year then fill it with fresh fuel...

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 18:25   #9
big square car

I'm afraid I don't understand this either I never go below a quarter. The time wasted and hassle outways any saving. You also run the risk of getting dirt into the system. Be thankful your car has a self priming fuel system otherwise you'd be paying for recovery as well!
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 19:41   #10
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I've got the added advantage / complication of an LPG conversion in my XC70. On the plus side, if I run out of gas I've still got a tank of petrol to fall back to, but I've only got two petrol stations that do LPG on my route to work, and the gas tank is relatively small so I end up filling up every two days. For around 55p / litre, it's an inconvenience I can put up with.

Habitually running a fuel tank low can result in premature failure of the in-tank pump as it is not cooled as it should be, plus you are more likely to pick up the crud in the bottom of tank.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote