Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 d4 (190)

Views : 1244

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2017, 21:54   #1
850Chris
Premier Member

Default V60 d4 (190)

I have the option of a V60 D4 (190) R Design Lux as a company car. Can any existing owners with the D4 engine give me some feedback. Does it get the claimed 70mpg and feel relatively punchy?

If I take this, my lovely old V50 T5 will be going up for sale (to be replaced with a project car, Mk1 MX5 with turbo conversion being the current top choice) so the V60 would be my daily hack and workhorse to supplement our Skoda Octavia Scout.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 22:18   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
I have the option of a V60 D4 (190) R Design Lux as a company car. Can any existing owners with the D4 engine give me some feedback. Does it get the claimed 70mpg and feel relatively punchy?

If I take this, my lovely old V50 T5 will be going up for sale (to be replaced with a project car, Mk1 MX5 with turbo conversion being the current top choice) so the V60 would be my daily hack and workhorse to supplement our Skoda Octavia Scout.
loads of punchiness from the D4 it reminds me of the old T5's ...
Yes you could get 70 mpg if you wanted , stay between 50 and 60 mph easy ... but it's not going to happen is it :-) It is certainly going to average somewhere between 40 and 50 mpg i guess .
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 10:16   #3
craigv60
Master Member

The D4 motor is punchy, and goes very well. As Clan mentioned, you might get 70mpg if you drive like a granny everywhere.

My own V60 D4 manual has average a genuine 46.5mpg at the pumps over 2 years and 9 months / 27,500 miles. That is 30% motorway (cruising at 80 - 85) and 70% short journeys of less than 10 miles, and urban driving.

Last edited by craigv60; Mar 10th, 2017 at 10:18.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 10:49   #4
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
Does it get the claimed 70mpg and feel relatively punchy?

In the real world, no, 70mpg is a fantasy, same as with every other manufacturers figures. It will however be punchy and give you decent figures in relation to the power it gives. I'm pretty sure from memory of V60 drivers on here that somewhere between 45-50mpg is standard, more if you only drive on motorway contraflows but then who would want to do that. It's a good car, don't worry about getting one.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 12:24   #5
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
loads of punchiness from the D4 it reminds me of the old T5's ...
Yes you could get 70 mpg if you wanted , stay between 50 and 60 mph easy ... but it's not going to happen is it :-) It is certainly going to average somewhere between 40 and 50 mpg i guess .
D4 engines great, no doubt about that. 70mpg? In your dreams....on a motorway at a steady 60mph with no load you might get 65. Soon as you start using the brakes and gears it'll drop. Still economical, but not 70mpg long-term. But neither would a BMW 320d, or a Golf Bluemotion. If you like the car, don't be swayed by mpg claims. Follow your heart, nt your head. It's a car. supposed to be an emotional decision....
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 13:04   #6
civilservant

I have the old D4 but I have driven the current D4. I was concerned about the 4 cylinder engine but I was extremely surprised. It's a peach of an engine. But, as others have alluded to, you will not achieve a combined figure of anywhere near 70mpg. You may get near the figure on the motorway at sedate speed but nowhere else. 40-50mpg is more realistic for a combined figure.

There are not any diesel cars out there of a similar size with a combined figure of 70mpg.
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to civilservant For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 15:28   #7
andymcp
Premier Member

My fuelly profile shows what I got while I was doing proper miles - I've since stopped measuring but generally it's stayed consistent. The engine is a peach, plenty punch although I'd add one caveat. If the majority of your time is wafting gently along motorways and you're a sensible driver round town, the auto box can be a bit less enthusiastic when you want some oomph. If you regularly drive with enthusiasm it picks up better, but driving like that naturally hits your mpg. Apparently the polestar upgrade transforms it for the better.

Underlying the mpg part, the engine has a real sweet spot between 65 and 70mph where it will just glide along sipping diesel. Up to near 80mph, it's still very good. Above that you pay a hefty price. As much as speed though, your driving behaviour will reap the most benefit. If you drive cautiously and smoothly you'll get fantastic results.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 21:05   #8
850Chris
Premier Member

Thanks for the input chaps. I have a fairly smooth driving style which reaps the benefits of regularly seeing 31mpg average from my 'tweaked' T5 (claimed 32mpg average as standard), so by the sounds of it high 40's or low 50's should be achievable day to day with the D4.

I've asked my fleet department to prepare me a detailed quote, but suspect I will proceed with either R Design Lux trim (my preference) or SE Nav which has slightly lower company car tax but doesn't look quite as appealing as the R Design.

Guess the T5 may be coming up for sale shortly then

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 07:20   #9
Turnwood

See my fuelly - 51mpg over 65k miles in a V60 D4 R-Design

Last edited by Turnwood; Mar 11th, 2017 at 08:55.
Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 07:53   #10
RSVolvo

I’m due to swap my S60 D3 (136 - 5pot) Geatroninc for a new S60 D4 (190) Geartronic. Reading what andymcp says about the geartronic being a bit less enthusiastic, is it right that it ‘learns’ your driving style? Do you have to select sport to get the full oomph? I spend a lot of time on motorways where steady cruising and stop go rush hour traffic is the order of the day, but its nice to have the extra when you want it.

I did test drive the engine in a R Design and whilst it did perform better than my current D3 it didn’t quite give the back of the seat experience I remember in my old V50 D4 (177) – or is that my memory playing tricks on me... Still looking forward to it though.

On R-Design v SE Lux, as well as the looks there is also the ride. Personally whilst I like the R Design looks I do find the R-Design ride too harsh for me, so I’ve gone for an SE Lux. Personal choice though.
RSVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote