Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY17 XC60 - Volvo on call?

Views : 2150

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:55   #1
frazzle76

Default MY17 XC60 - Volvo on call?

Hi, Just taken delivery of my XC60 which we are very pleased with. Its an r-Design Nav and I had thought it would have been compatible with Volvo on Call but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks
frazzle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 09:07   #2
uro1

Short answer: If you did not explicitly order it you do not get it.

Volvo uses for on Call a special wireless modem with two SIM cards. One is for your use (Aps, RTTI etc) and the other one is exclusively used for the Car specific functions like remote start etc. That is a security measure so nobody can hack your connection and manipulate your car.
As far as I know there is no financially feasible way to retrofit that modem.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 09:08   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

It's always been a factory fit only option, unless that has changed.
Is it the new SPA vehicles that come with VOC? I.e. New 90's?
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 09:31   #4
uro1

No it is a factory only option in all models and series I know of. That retrofit answer was more in line of: You are better of to buy a new car with it then to try paying for a retrofit. So forget about it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 13:16   #5
frazzle76

Thanks all. Think I had assumed it was just part of the sensus connect system. Not the end of the world but it would have been good to have.
frazzle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 19:40   #6
pagan8c
Master Member

VOC is standard on new XC90 (I have just got mine) It seems to work ok but as I have only had the car for 3 days still getting used to it all. I like the 'Send Direction bit to the Sat Nav. I had a go today and it worked.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 20:05   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
VOC is standard on new XC90 (I have just got mine) It seems to work ok but as I have only had the car for 3 days still getting used to it all. I like the 'Send Direction bit to the Sat Nav. I had a go today and it worked.
Its a marvellous thing. My daughter took my [our?] XC90 for a spin today while her mother and I were on business in another car. When she came back I was able to tell her where she had been, which streets she had parked in, for how long, her milage and economy figures and average speed for each section of her journey. While this impresses me greatly, dear daughter and her mother were a bit shocked and have their doubts about having 'big daddy' know too much is a 'good thing'. LOL

I wonder how much a subscription costs after the three years included with the car are up?
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 20:55   #8
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Its a marvellous thing. My daughter took my [our?] XC90 for a spin today while her mother and I were on business in another car. When she came back I was able to tell her where she had been, which streets she had parked in, for how long, her milage and economy figures and average speed for each section of her journey. While this impresses me greatly, dear daughter and her mother were a bit shocked and have their doubts about having 'big daddy' know too much is a 'good thing'. LOL

I wonder how much a subscription costs after the three years included with the car are up?
I was told today that it is £85 for a 2 year extension but whether you can do it now or what they may charge in 3 years I don't know
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 22:24   #9
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
I was told today that it is £85 for a 2 year extension but whether you can do it now or what they may charge in 3 years I don't know
If that includes road rescue and so on, like and AA or RAC membership and covers the car with any driver, that sounds like being good value. Why do I think that maybe that isn't the case? Let's hope that if the car is dealer serviced, that it will indeed be for comprehensive roadside assistance.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 22:42   #10
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
..... I was able to tell her where she had been, which streets she had parked in, for how long, her milage and economy figures and average speed for each section of her journey. While this impresses me greatly, dear daughter and her mother were a bit shocked and have their doubts about having 'big daddy' know too much is a 'good thing'. ...
Yes, I am wondering whether to not say there is a Volvo App as I'm sure she'll be keen to do what she can to disable it from knowing where she's been. Not for any bad reasons, just cos.....

Saying that, it's difficult to not showboat the "I can start the car from my phone" feature so 2+2=4.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote