Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lesser and Lesser ...

Views : 913

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2019, 13:54   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Or, as the late great Sir Winston said about a proposed grammar correction to a speech: this is interference up with which I will not put.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 14:28   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

P.S.

Sorry aardvarkash10. Your post triggered my reply but my pejorative comments were absolutely NOT aimed at you.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 15:56   #13
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Pedantry is an example of the wonderful English construct that is the irregular declension:

I use words correctly; you are a pedant; he corrects everyone's English.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 19:14   #14
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A rare sighting of the Lesser Spotted 745! Strangely there's a 1990 745 near me in Silver. .......................and the letters are the same - no surprise then to learn it was also originally supplied by Squire Furneaux of Chobham.

Other than that and occasionally a silver 240GLT on an F, there aren't many round this part of the world.
Me thinks you mean Cobham Dave as definitely not Chobham as there has never been a Volvo Dealership there. The nearest local Volvo Dealership is suggest to be in Guildford but actually it's in a village well outside Guildford at Pirbright. In the late 80's it was called Forum, and then it went through various owners trading as Romans, Lancaster, and maybe others I forget, until today it's part of Squire Furneaux. Not much changes down there still looks basically the same.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 21:25   #15
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
P.S.

Sorry aardvarkash10. Your post triggered my reply but my pejorative comments were absolutely NOT aimed at you.

Given and taken in the spirit of love and gentle ribbing.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 21:46   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Me thinks you mean Cobham Dave as definitely not Chobham as there has never been a Volvo Dealership there. The nearest local Volvo Dealership is suggest to be in Guildford but actually it's in a village well outside Guildford at Pirbright. In the late 80's it was called Forum, and then it went through various owners trading as Romans, Lancaster, and maybe others I forget, until today it's part of Squire Furneaux. Not much changes down there still looks basically the same.
I may well do Bob, i'll check the number plate tomorrow. Always used to get Chobham and Cobham mixed up, mainly because i used to cover that area many moons ago and people pronounced them the same - if they didn't give their postcode i could spend hours trying to find them in the wrong place!

I remember there was an Alfa dealer round that general area (somewhere nearer Alresford maybe but on the A30) called Quadrifoglio in the late 70s, i belive that became Forum at one point too.

Last time i was in Pirbright, my first point of contact was the muzzle of an M16!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 17:23   #17
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I see less and less 2/7/900 series cars about, although there is a beautiful dark green seven seater 945 that lives in my road, one of the NA ones with a B230FD in it. In lovely condition and owned by a retired couple who cosset it. They always give me a wave or a honk when we cross paths.

Speaking of sightings, I was driving down the M27 a couple of weeks ago in my 245 when I noticed I was being relentlessly flashed, which perplexed me as I was doing 70 in the slow lane!
It turned out to be a couple in a very nicely kept 480ES who pulled alongside, gave a very friendly hello and then proceeded to drive in formation with me, taking photos of my car!

It was a lovely moment. I often get flashes and toots from fellow drivers of old kit, in Bridport in particular there are several 740/940s, and two owners always look out for each other (and me!) And vice versa.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 18:24   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I may well do Bob, i'll check the number plate tomorrow. Always used to get Chobham and Cobham mixed up,
You were right Bob - 'tis Cobham with only one "h" on the number plate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Speaking of sightings, I was driving down the M27 a couple of weeks ago in my 245 when I noticed I was being relentlessly flashed, which perplexed me as I was doing 70 in the slow lane!
It turned out to be a couple in a very nicely kept 480ES who pulled alongside, gave a very friendly hello and then proceeded to drive in formation with me, taking photos of my car!
It was the CIA Phil! You are now earmarked for a top secret mission involving your 245..................this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds..............4....................3....... ...............2......................1........... ...

I'm just back from the monthly Rover meet and i saw more 700s (and other Volvos) than i did Rover 800s - i was behind the wheel of the only 800 i saw - several SD1s and a P6 but even the stalwart members who tunr up in 800s came in SD1s today!
Besides my own 760GLE that i saw as i left home and returned, near the venue there was a silver F reg 740 GL in very nice condition.
Other than that, no 2/7/9xx at all were spied!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 18:39   #19
Laney760
VOC Member

I often note sadly that there are the fewer and fewer 200/700/900 cars around although in my tiny village, population c2000, there are two 945's, mine and a turquoise one and in Henley on Thames, population c11,500 there are at least two 945s, a V90, an 855 and a 765. There was an aubergine 945 in the village of Harpsden for over a decade until recently. There is a lovely white 944 in Marlow which I frequently see.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 19:33   #20
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I know of a 740 estate and two 940 estates that are all within about 5 streets of each other in Worcester! Although the one 940 looks like it hasn't moved for years, it has a tan interior and dark grey paint.

There is a 360 literally three streets from me.

By my Auntie there is a guy who has a saab 96 rally car, his wife drives a 240 estate and he has a PV I believe.

I see a few 300 series and 240's around.

Last weekend I saw two Amazon's in one day!

I drive past another 940 estate about once a week in Droitwich but I get it over by them so I have given up.

Someone in Droitwich in either a v90 or phase 1 v70 (I haven't figured it out yet) does flash me.

I know of two other 940's in Worcester.

There are two 480's and I have seen a fair few 440's.

I seem to live in the mecha for old Volvo's

Oh and a white 760 GLE estate

Last edited by 360beast; Jun 1st, 2019 at 19:35. Reason: .
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: