Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

moving up from v70 to XC70

Views : 2193

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 08:09   #21
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
They've said they can do it and the water pump for £200
Don’t let them touch it. You can get an ultra cheap belt kit including a water pump, but you probably shouldn’t. The water pump will almost certainly be fine; non Volvo replacements don’t last as well. The proper* way to do the job is with a Volvo kit with a belt, tensioner and idler rollers, and to change the aux belt and tensioner at the same time.

If the car does have a FSH done at reputable garages, has had the same owner for a long time, and is on matching, good brand tyres, I’d be amazed if it hadn’t been replaced.

Personally, if I really liked the car, I’d get the best cash deal and take it away. Then I’d call the last owner to see what they knew about the belt. If it hadn’t been done with the proper bits, I’d change it, give the cara service and start enjoying it.

Proper* = what the collective wisdom on the Internet tells me. And having looked at how well built my car is and how reasonably priced Volvo cam belt kits are, I really don’t get why you’d want to risk an expensive engine for the sake of £100 or so.

Last edited by eternal optimist; Jul 6th, 2019 at 08:12.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 08:24   #22
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Don’t let them touch it. You can get an ultra cheap belt kit including a water pump, but you probably shouldn’t. The water pump will almost certainly be fine; non Volvo replacements don’t last as well. The proper* way to do the job is with a Volvo kit with a belt, tensioner and idler rollers, and to change the aux belt and tensioner at the same time.

If the car does have a FSH done at reputable garages, has had the same owner for a long time, and is on matching, good brand tyres, I’d be amazed if it hadn’t been replaced.

Personally, if I really liked the car, I’d get the best cash deal and take it away. Then I’d call the last owner to see what they knew about the belt. If it hadn’t been done with the proper bits, I’d change it, give the cara service and start enjoying it.

Proper* = what the collective wisdom on the Internet tells me. And having looked at how well built my car is and how reasonably priced Volvo cam belt kits are, I really don’t get why you’d want to risk an expensive engine for the sake of £100 or so.
Yep, I agree with that.

I'll ring around and see what my local garage will charge to fit with genuine parts
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 17:50   #23
Gazdkw
Master Member

Well it didn't go that well.

Took a trip to Peterborough to view 2.

First one I viewed had some issues. Lots of oil on the inside of the passenger alloy wheel and suspension spring/strut. Guy at the forecourt said it was because it's recently had a new wheel bearing and boot... Hhhmm. Secondly when running the knocking when the oil filler cap off was worst than mine. Engine mounts?

Also noticed what looked like smoke coming from oil filler cap. I walked away.

Second vehicle wasn't even available to view.

Wasted day really.

Going to swandlincote tomorrow to view another
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:06   #24
onyourbikenate

Unlucky mate, at least you spotted the issues and walked away.

plenty of motors about sure you can find what you want. noticed you was posting about getting a xc90 for 7 seats. i've seen some xc70 p2 with folded seats in the boot making it a 7 seater, was on ebay but i can't for the life of me find the car now. something to consider maybe.

best of luck though in the car search, at least its fun searching for new cars!
onyourbikenate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onyourbikenate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:10   #25
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourbikenate View Post
Unlucky mate, at least you spotted the issues and walked away.

plenty of motors about sure you can find what you want. noticed you was posting about getting a xc90 for 7 seats. i've seen some xc70 p2 with folded seats in the boot making it a 7 seater, was on ebay but i can't for the life of me find the car now. something to consider maybe.

best of luck though in the car search, at least its fun searching for new cars!
Yeh it is fun. Xc70's are few and far between around me. Iv found 3 locally to look at within the next week
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:24   #26
reggit
Premier Member

There’s a miss listed one on eBay. It’s an 06 xc70 se lux (listed as a v70). Don’t know if you’ve seen it.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323851365564
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:30   #27
Gazdkw
Master Member

That's defo an xc70. Its in Dunstable though which is too far for me
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 18:55   #28
Gazdkw
Master Member

Got a strange one, going to view one tomorrow and ran it through the MOT checks.

N 2013 (car is a 2008, so 5 years old) it failed on "centre rear fuel system component leaking"

Seems strange at only 5 years old (41k miles)

Thoughts?
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 19:11   #29
reggit
Premier Member

One of the gaskets on the tank hatches leaking and dribbling down the tank perhaps?
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 19:25   #30
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
One of the gaskets on the tank hatches leaking and dribbling down the tank perhaps?
Possibly. Just seemed odd