Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Infant Seat

Views : 1921

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 17:30   #1
Chris Airey

I have just been trying rear facing baby seats in my 96 850 estate and the saleswoman has my seat belts are too short. She tried both the front and rear seats and stated I would need seat belt extensions. I'm not 100% sure she was fitting the seat correctly, however she was the alleged expert. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what did you do?
Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 19:20   #2
Mike Smith
Master Member

Default RE: Infant Seat

Hi Chris
not heard of seat belt extensions, and I would advice against this method, I had a similar problem in my 740, my local volvo dealer stocked longer seat belts and it wasn't difficult installing them, not sure if the 850 would be as easy, but might be worth investigating at your local dealership

Regards Mike Smith
------------------
'96 850 GLT Estate

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Gallery
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 21:35   #3
Richard Swinney

Chris,

As a former owner of a 96 855R I too believe the seatbelts were a bit short compared to many other cars.

I decided to purchase an original extended belt from volvo, but never got round to fitting it before I sold the car on.

It is a genuine volvo article - never used / fitted - ( don't have P/No to hand) and is in original box with instructions.
Its suitable for estate or saloon, and is the driver side version.
If it could be of use, let me know, perhaps we could come to a deal.

I have a piccy if your interested, email r.swinney@virgin.net.

Regards

Richard

Richard Swinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 22:13   #4
noiseboy
VOC Member

Its true,

The 850 has short seat belts.

Volvo sell both the extended seat belts listed above (best option me thinks) as well as specific child seats for the model (kinda expensive way of doing it).

Pick which way you want to go!!

Good luck & best regards,

Phil :-)
www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2002, 13:12   #5
Mark Pickering

Try the new Autobase from Graco. It fits in an 850 and then the child seat clicks in and away you go. Not sure about the seats for older children but if you want to have a look at http://www.graco.co.uk
Old Mar 25th, 2002, 22:08   #6
NIGEL REES

WE HAD THE SAME TROUBLE WITH OUR S70. THE BASE AND SEAT JUST FITTED WITH THE PASSENGER SEAT SLID AS FAR BACK AS POSSIBLE. (CHECK THAT YOU DON'T HAVE AN AIRBAG FITTED THOUGH). THE SEAT FITS A LITTLE EASIER IN THE BACK.
Old Mar 26th, 2002, 22:00   #7
sdevans1

I put a query about this a few months ago. Very few seats will fit and the Volvo one is about £400.

My wife eventually bought one from Mothercare of all places! It is a bog-standard Mothercare rear-facing infant (up to 9-12 months)seat that can be placed on the front or rear passenger seat and secured 1 of 2 methods:

1) the traditional way for which 850 seat belts are too short.

2) a second way that (JUST ABOUT) fits if the seat runs back as far as it can. this method uses less seat belt.

Our seat has to be fitted by the latter method, but is perfectly safe; anyway the sales people will tell you if they think it isn't.

I'll try and find the name of the seat for you

Stephen
Old Apr 5th, 2002, 20:58   #8
volvo850t5

Stephan,

Had same problem.
New baby, short seat belts.
Volvo wanted £90 for not pyrotechnic belts and £200 for pyrotechnic belts which have to be fitted by them.
Result: went to good old Halfords and got a rear facing baby seat which fitted first time.
They have slots underneath the baby seat for the lap belt.

Paul
Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:58   #9
sdevans1

My seat also has slots underneath the baby seat for the lap belt. It's called the Team Tex Baby One from Mothercare. However, I know that the more expensive Britax Rock a Tot seat also fits Volvo 850's.

Stephen
Old Jun 11th, 2002, 14:34   #10
The Top Lens

I had the same problem with my V70 and 850 - I bought the Britax Rock-a-tot seat and it fitted nicely. My daughter has now grown out of the seat and uses a front facing seat also by Britax.

The Rock-a-tot seat is sat in a cupboard at home - if anyone wants to offer a couple of quid they can have it!

The Top Lens
850T5 (N)
V70 (T)