Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

two problems left

Views : 876

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 12:09   #1
Henners29

Default two problems left

so since owning our 2009 d5 I've had a lot of the problems fixed. Leaking windscreen... oil leak from rear diff etc.

But there's 2 problems left.
firstly the drivers door mirror cable has snapped inside from regular folding. So it no longer folds, It had stopped on the in position so it's currently just pushed out past it's lock position. At high speed it does fold back in a bit in the wind.

Ive stripped it as much as possible whilst on the car, and can see the snapped cable, but it goes down inside the unit. I know I need to take the door card off to get to the plug to remove the mirror. But I was wondering if anyone on here has fixed this problem, and has any tips. Or if there's a how to, to stripping it down fully, to get to the wiring. Or even to get the door card off. As I haven't looked at this yet.
Our volvo has BLIS so there's cameras on the bottom of the mirrors, otherwise I'd probably be tempted just to buy a second had replacement.

Then secondly, the power steering goes funny. Especially when parking, it goes a bit lumping, and seems to not work, when turning in to parking spaces. It's really hard to turn sometimes.
Especially on full lock. Some times it doesn't happen, and its more so when it's been driving, not when you start and do a U-turn out of our parking space on our street.
Any thoughts on this one? common fault? Something I could fix? Possibly a new power steering pump?

Also driving back down the motorway last night... I was getting 35mpg....
Is this about normal for a d5? fuel consumption seems really crap. I'm hoping to get it re mapped.. the company's data says I should get about 10% more. which would help! It does have winter tires on the back... since we bought it. I've been meaning to get them changed.. would these effect it that much? It's also strange when they only put winter tires on the back when its AWD

Last edited by Henners29; Sep 17th, 2018 at 12:13.
Henners29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 13:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners29 View Post
so since owning our 2009 d5 I've had a lot of the problems fixed. Leaking windscreen... oil leak from rear diff etc.

But there's 2 problems left.
firstly the drivers door mirror cable has snapped inside from regular folding. So it no longer folds, It had stopped on the in position so it's currently just pushed out past it's lock position. At high speed it does fold back in a bit in the wind.

Ive stripped it as much as possible whilst on the car, and can see the snapped cable, but it goes down inside the unit. I know I need to take the door card off to get to the plug to remove the mirror. But I was wondering if anyone on here has fixed this problem, and has any tips. Or if there's a how to, to stripping it down fully, to get to the wiring. Or even to get the door card off. As I haven't looked at this yet.
Our volvo has BLIS so there's cameras on the bottom of the mirrors, otherwise I'd probably be tempted just to buy a second had replacement.

Then secondly, the power steering goes funny. Especially when parking, it goes a bit lumping, and seems to not work, when turning in to parking spaces. It's really hard to turn sometimes.
Especially on full lock. Some times it doesn't happen, and its more so when it's been driving, not when you start and do a U-turn out of our parking space on our street.
Any thoughts on this one? common fault? Something I could fix? Possibly a new power steering pump?

Also driving back down the motorway last night... I was getting 35mpg....
Is this about normal for a d5? fuel consumption seems really crap. I'm hoping to get it re mapped.. the company's data says I should get about 10% more. which would help! It does have winter tires on the back... since we bought it. I've been meaning to get them changed.. would these effect it that much? It's also strange when they only put winter tires on the back when its AWD
you probably need a new power steering pump if the assistance comes back when you rev the engine a bit .. otherwise it will be a steering rack.

you are on the lower end of the mpg range , what is your average speed ? it should be over 40 mph for a much better figure and your tyre pressures should be upper 30's psi . It makes the difference !
it should be easy enough to fix the wiring , use special super flexible wire if you can , it has many more strands only thinner .
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 14:52   #3
Henners29

Thanks for the reply. My average speed on the motorway isn’t crazy air around 75 - 80 I’d say, I don’t bomb it around. I’ll check the tires.. a friend said winter tires might make a difference as well. It did seem low to me. Is there anything else that could be contributing?
It’s always been around this figure. I changed the oil recently and even cleaned out the egr, air inlet and intake. Got rid of all the gunk build up. Replaced the swirl flaps and link arm.. so was hoping that would get a few MPG
Would love to get it higher.

That’s a good point.. I hadn’t tried reving when the power steering plays up. Both sound a pricy fix!?
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 15:03   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My average speed on the motorway isn’t crazy air around 75 - 80 I’d say, I don’t bomb it around. I’ll check the tires.. a friend said winter tires might make a difference as well. It did seem low to me. Is there anything else that could be contributing?
It’s always been around this figure. I changed the oil recently and even cleaned out the egr, air inlet and intake. Got rid of all the gunk build up. Replaced the swirl flaps and link arm.. so was hoping that would get a few MPG
Would love to get it higher.

That’s a good point.. I hadn’t tried reving when the power steering plays up. Both sound a pricy fix!?
well there is your answer regarding fuel consumption 75 - 80 mph .. there is a huge increase in wind resistance once you get to 70 and more , even though the car still seems effortless to drive . Try 60 to 65 and your consumption will drop a lot .. Switch your fuel display to instantaneous and you will soon see where you are going wrong when it drops below 20 mpg …

any job these days on any make of car is expensive , either that or we have not had a pay rise for ten years ..
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 17:32   #5
Henners29

So I tried a bit of rev when the steering was feeling stiff and it seemed to help. Think I have a dodgy pump

Also something else I forgot to add, which may be a different problem,..

Since buying the car the steering wheel has always been off, Id say around 1oclock clockwise, I thought it would be tracking, so got it done. It needed doing and does feel better, however the steering wheel is still in the same place!!
Any thoughts on this, how would the steering wheel be off even thought the tracking has been done? can it be straightened to you think? Im guessing not as easy as it used to be in the old days of undoing the nut in the middle
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 19:20   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So I tried a bit of rev when the steering was feeling stiff and it seemed to help. Think I have a dodgy pump

Also something else I forgot to add, which may be a different problem,..

Since buying the car the steering wheel has always been off, Id say around 1oclock clockwise, I thought it would be tracking, so got it done. It needed doing and does feel better, however the steering wheel is still in the same place!!
Any thoughts on this, how would the steering wheel be off even thought the tracking has been done? can it be straightened to you think? Im guessing not as easy as it used to be in the old days of undoing the nut in the middle
first of all tracking alone on the front wheels is not good enough , you are unable to line up the front wheels to the vehicle centre line without doing a 4 wheel alignment , this process automatically straightens the steeing wheel .
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 15:16   #7
Henners29

so I got 4 wheels alignment done at national tyres, its a bit better but still slightly off clockwise. Is there anything else that could be causing this or have they just not done it correctly? should I take it somewhere else?
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 15:26   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
so I got 4 wheels alignment done at national tyres, its a bit better but still slightly off clockwise. Is there anything else that could be causing this or have they just not done it correctly? should I take it somewhere else?
the tyres could be pulling , try swapping the front wheels around . Did they clamp the steering wheel in the correct position before doing the 4 wheel align ? That really is a must ...
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 19:53   #9
Brankster

Quote:
I made the mistake of getting my 4 wheels done at National tyres and had to go to an independent Volvo garage who done it properly and there was a huge difference.