Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 D5 (185)....Excessive Oil Consumption & Soot Filter Ful

Views : 32440

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2017, 13:38   #11
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
If you have oil in the inlet and the Turbo is definitely good then yes it must be carrying over from the breather system. I would guess that there is probably nothing wrong with the breather and the reason for the carry over is high blow-by.

It could also be the valve guides and stem seals. Does your car smoke a lot when started after being sat for a while?

I'm in the same boat and I'm resigned to the fact I probably need a new engine.
Why would high levels of blow-by cause carry over, strangely enough my car hardly smokes at all....

I wonder how hard it would be to change the rings with the engine in place, seems good access to take off sump....

what would it entail Head Bolts, Gasket, set of rings, re-hone cylinders,,, lots of oil in the face.....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 13:56   #12
jamie1131

The DPF does a good job of hiding any smoke. Mine barely smokes at all despite burning through 2 litres/1000 miles, last week it went straight through the MOT with only emissions readings.

High blow-by means more case getting into the crankcases therefore more gas passing through the breather back into the inlet. As the gas speed increases oil more oil gets carried with it as it doesn't have time to be separated and drop back into the pan.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 14:15   #13
HiFlyer437

JRL - I get the woes with the DPF, but I'm sure they're symptomatic of the oil leak/consumption?
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 14:38   #14
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer437 View Post
JRL - I get the woes with the DPF, but I'm sure they're symptomatic of the oil leak/consumption?
It may well be symptomatic. Does your oil level rise or is the car just using excessive amounts of oil. If the latter then I may well have interpreted your initial post wrongly. If I see any mention of DPF I tend to lose all sense of reason!
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 14:56   #15
HiFlyer437

No rise, just consumption! We had no issues with the DPF until about a month ago, but the oil consumption has been steadily increasing for about the last 6 months.
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 21:52   #16
osullivant

Quote:
The DPF does a good job of hiding any smoke. Mine barely smokes at all despite burning through 2 litres/1000 miles,.....

High blow-by means more case getting into the crankcases therefore more gas passing through the breather back into the inlet. As the gas speed increases oil more oil gets carried with it as it doesn't have time to be separated and drop back into the pan.
that makes some sense but it amounts to a major overhaul? or is there an alternative.

I have a scrap s60 which I maight swop the oil separator off and chance that....

what about one of these there must be a reason why these are made, does the valve wear out thus allowing the gases and oil to bypass the separator....http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ather/1033347/

Would a compression test show rings to be an issue?

Last edited by osullivant; Apr 26th, 2017 at 22:31.
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 22:29   #17
jamie1131

A compression test might show it up but it could be worn/blocked oil control rings which wouldn't affect compression but would let oil into the chamber.

When an engine burns that much oil a rebuild is inevitable!
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 22:37   #18
osullivant

Quote:
A compression test might show it up but it could be worn/blocked oil control rings which wouldn't affect compression but would let oil into the chamber.

When an engine burns that much oil a rebuild is inevitable!
Would worn rings not reduce compression, is the blow by not passing down around the worn rings, Have I got this wrong?

The thing is that the engine is not burning oil in the conventional manner ie by having it drip down past the valve seals or bypass the oil rings, it seems that it is blowing it from the crankcase into the air intake and burning it almost as part of the fuel/air mix..

Last edited by osullivant; Apr 26th, 2017 at 22:40.
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 09:11   #19
jamie1131

The piston will probably have 4 rings (not sure exactly how many on this engine), 3 compression rings and an oil scraper ring. The job of the compression rings is to seal the piston to the bore. The oil scraper ring as its name suggests, scrapes oil from the wall of the bore and insures that the correct amount of lubrication is applied to the piston/rings without allowing too much into the bore.

In your case if there is oil in the intake due to high blow-by causing carry over from the breather, then yes it will be likely due to worn compression rings which would be more likely to show up on a compression test.

You could try a compression test on each cylinder and then repeat it with a drop or two of oil in the bore. The oil will help the compression rings to seal if they are leaking and in this case you will see an improved figure when you repeat the test.

If the oil is passing the scraper ring into the chamber then its possible you will still have a good compression figure anyway.
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 12:42   #20
diro

Clogged DPF can be a reason of high engine oil consumption and it is most likely in many cases.
What happens...
when DPF is reasonably clogged but still operative and everytime regeneration is activated engine oil is diluted with diesel becomes thinner and thinner and thinner. It goes through the piston rings and especially turbo seals to the engine combustion chambers and burns. When that oil burns DPF clogs much quicker hence you all guys have a message - DPF is Full.

DPF issues is the first reason of the turbo seals failure.
Even DPF is not full, it gets regenerated randomly and you change engine oil within intervals but still have high oil consumption - suspect turbo.

1st step - sort out DPF untill its not too late
The Following User Says Thank You to diro For This Useful Post: