Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reconditioned engine

Views : 3362

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2018, 21:25   #1
Ed Mac

Default Reconditioned engine

First post, so here goes.

V70 2.4 diesel 163bhp 2009

I have just fitted a working 2nd hand engine to my car, specifications as above, following an aux belt failure. (You know the rest of the story when that happens)

Anyway, sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. I keep getting a camshaft position error message. I changed the timing belt before fitting the engine and I'd put my mortgage on the fact the crank or cam never moved. Ive also swapped the sensor about for another one - but it happens with both, so it's not the sensor.

Anyone any ideas? (I'm told the engine has to be mated with the existing ECU - but cant find anything on that)
Ed Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 22:31   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

This has cropped up before when people fit second hand engines. Did you get an engine with the same engine code? What car did it come out of?

I remember a post on here where it turned out the camshafts or the head was different. There are a lot of similar engine codes but there are differences. Perhaps have a search it may bring the post up.

I would also make sure the injectors are coded to the ecm or fit your original injectors in your new engine.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Mar 15th, 2018 at 22:45.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 22:53   #3
Ed Mac

The engine codes are exactly the same - as are the injectors. All came out of another 2.4 diesel, 163bhp, V70. Both are from Mk3's.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 20:40   #4
Semnoz

Mine developed a starting problem with camshaft position sensor DTCs.

The fault was with damage to the wiring.

Unwrap the plastic tape off the long cable that connects to the camshaft position sensor and injector solenoids and look for any breaks in the wires, or worn through insulation due to wear against engine.
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 18:55   #5
Ed Mac

I'm told the wiring is ok - but I'll have it double checked. The loom was fine prior to the 2nd hand engine being installed so I'd have thought it was unlikely.

I should also say, when mating the gearbox to the new engine, initially I didn't support it adequately, causing the plastic housing of the crank sensor to break. So I replaced the whole sensor with the one from the old engine - again, I'd have thought it unlikely that the sensor has failed.

Other than that, when the engine starts, it runs ok-ish. (Not completely smooth) Starting it is a bugger though. It wants to turn over for ages before starting. Could this be related??

I've been told that the ECUs may have to be re-programmed - not sure if this is bulls**t or not - would be happy to hear from anyone with knowledge on it?
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 19:05   #6
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I would also make sure the injectors are coded to the ecm or fit your original injectors in your new engine.
Just noticed this - the engine codes etc are identical - I'd have thought this was unnecessary as the injectors are surely therefore the same, no?

As a precaution I took the timing belt off and refitted it from scratch - the end result is the same though. My mate has also checked the belt out and he's pretty satisfied the marks etc line up - so it's not as if the belt is a notch or so out.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 18:15   #7
Ed Mac

Does anyone know if the ecu has to re-programmed to accept the engine - and if so, any advice?
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 19:31   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mac View Post
the engine codes etc are identical - I'd have thought this was unnecessary as the injectors are surely therefore the same, no?
No.
Some injectors need coding to the ECM when replaced on some D5 variants but we still don't know what D5 engine code is being asked about so can't advise on your specific issue.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:23   #9
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
No.
Some injectors need coding to the ECM when replaced on some D5 variants but we still don't know what D5 engine code is being asked about so can't advise on your specific issue.

It's a 2nd hand engine - the scrap merchant declined to pass on the reg. no. of the donor vehicle citing company policy - but I am assured it's the same as mine. (I supplied them my reg. no, they then checked compatibility).

So I suppose the next best thing is to ask, how do I go about finding my original engine code?
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 09:23   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mac View Post
It's a 2nd hand engine - the scrap merchant declined to pass on the reg. no. of the donor vehicle citing company policy - but I am assured it's the same as mine. (I supplied them my reg. no, they then checked compatibility).

So I suppose the next best thing is to ask, how do I go about finding my original engine code?
I do not know a scrap merchant supply an engine code without looking up Volvo databases ?
what's the VIN ?