Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General Forum for the Volvo x60 Series of cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA Start/Stop - Stalling & Lumpy running

Views : 603

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 15:36   #1
Craig S
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Oct 8th, 2018 14:22
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dumfries
Default D4 VEA Start/Stop - Stalling & Lumpy running

I have been having a few issues with my 2015 D4 VEA stalling after the start stop has engaged.

It tends to happen when the car has not fully warmed up, but enough that the start/stop function kicks in. So the temp guage is rising but not at full normal operating temperature.

As the car starts moving, the car can without warning just completely shut down as if it's not getting enough fuel. Occasionally I have managed to catch it but if it happens I have to apply a lot more revs than normal to pull away (about 1500+ rpm) otherwise it stalls again.

Also when the engine is in that kind of temperature range it can be very lumpy when going back on the throttle after a period of being off the throttle. It feels like a misfire, as if one of the cylinders is getting no fuel then all of a sudden it bursts into life. Occasionally it needs a bit of Italian tuning for it to return to sensible running again.

There are no check engine lights or any other signs that there is a problem.

The car is run exclusively on V-Power Diesel/BP Ultimate/Esso Supreme as I find it runs very lumpy on ordinary diesel. That and the fact that with premium diesel economy goes up by around 10-15%.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 18:00   #2
Zebster
Senior Member
 
Zebster's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:54
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ludlow
Default

Has it had any of the common attention to the EGR/cooler/software?
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 13:58   #3
Craig S
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Oct 8th, 2018 14:22
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dumfries
Default

Zebster, I'm guessing it has, but I don't know.

It is a 2015 D4, with 105k on the clock and a full main dealer history. I would need to check. There are no other issues with the car in the 9 months I have had the car.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 16:45   #4
Fursty Ferret
Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:18
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Manchester
Default

Quote:
The car is run exclusively on V-Power Diesel/BP Ultimate/Esso Supreme as I find it runs very lumpy on ordinary diesel. That and the fact that with premium diesel economy goes up by around 10-15%.
This implies that there’s always been a problem somewhere with the car. Premium diesel has always sounded just as bad as cheap diesel in my V60.

You really need an expert to look at live data from the car while this happens, as it could be one of many, many, things.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 15:57   #5
RichardXC60
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Sep 5th, 2018 16:09
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Brighton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
I have been having a few issues with my 2015 D4 VEA stalling after the start stop has engaged.

It tends to happen when the car has not fully warmed up, but enough that the start/stop function kicks in. So the temp guage is rising but not at full normal operating temperature.

As the car starts moving, the car can without warning just completely shut down as if it's not getting enough fuel. Occasionally I have managed to catch it but if it happens I have to apply a lot more revs than normal to pull away (about 1500+ rpm) otherwise it stalls again.

Also when the engine is in that kind of temperature range it can be very lumpy when going back on the throttle after a period of being off the throttle. It feels like a misfire, as if one of the cylinders is getting no fuel then all of a sudden it bursts into life. Occasionally it needs a bit of Italian tuning for it to return to sensible running again.

There are no check engine lights or any other signs that there is a problem.

The car is run exclusively on V-Power Diesel/BP Ultimate/Esso Supreme as I find it runs very lumpy on ordinary diesel. That and the fact that with premium diesel economy goes up by around 10-15%.
Think you need this checked out, I was running my D4 only on Premium Diesels (BP Ultimate mostly) swapped about 15 months ago to Shell ordinary and there has been no change in the running or fuel consumption at all.

My VEA D4 has had other problems, but never rough running and none associated with the stop start system, which shouldn't activate until the engine is up to full running temperature.

I had a similar problem to the one you describe on my diesel Subaru, they had to replace the injectors at about 75,000 miles, and that had always been run on BP Ultimate.
__________________
MY2015 Ice White XC60 D4 Polestar R-Design Lux Nav - Manual Box.
RichardXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 19:16   #6
Zebster
Senior Member
 
Zebster's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:54
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ludlow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardXC60 View Post
...My VEA D4 has had other problems, but never rough running and none associated with the stop start system, which shouldn't activate until the engine is up to full running temperature...
My VEA D4 (2015 V60) stop/start system becomes active within a minute or two of first starting.

It becomes inactive for 20-25 minutes whilst performing a DPF regeneration, which is a useful indicator.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 21:41   #7
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 20:47
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
I have been having a few issues with my 2015 D4 VEA stalling after the start stop has engaged.

It tends to happen when the car has not fully warmed up, but enough that the start/stop function kicks in. So the temp guage is rising but not at full normal operating temperature.

As the car starts moving, the car can without warning just completely shut down as if it's not getting enough fuel. Occasionally I have managed to catch it but if it happens I have to apply a lot more revs than normal to pull away (about 1500+ rpm) otherwise it stalls again.

Also when the engine is in that kind of temperature range it can be very lumpy when going back on the throttle after a period of being off the throttle. It feels like a misfire, as if one of the cylinders is getting no fuel then all of a sudden it bursts into life. Occasionally it needs a bit of Italian tuning for it to return to sensible running again.

There are no check engine lights or any other signs that there is a problem.

The car is run exclusively on V-Power Diesel/BP Ultimate/Esso Supreme as I find it runs very lumpy on ordinary diesel. That and the fact that with premium diesel economy goes up by around 10-15%.
The main cause of one of these diesels idling poorly or stalling is the egr valve sticking open intermittently , has it got the later improved type I wonder ? see your dealer for stored fault codes , you could well have a free fix if it is this ..
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:18   #8
mbrain
New Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 09:57
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kings Sutton
Default

My 2014 D4 181 auto has a similar issue.

Pulling away after the Start/Stop has initiated is working 100%.

The problem arises when the engine hasn't been on for 30+ minutes. Select D, pull away with the handbrake being auto released and it shudders and stalls. Restart it, and it's fine. This is occurring every 250 miles or so.

It has the revised EGR fitted.

It's a Volvo Selekt vehicle, with 8 months warranty remaining I spoke to a service desk person and he said to run it on premium fuels and see what happens. It doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm going back there in a couple of weeks once I've emptied the latest tank.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:28   #9
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 20:47
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrain View Post
My 2014 D4 181 auto has a similar issue.

Pulling away after the Start/Stop has initiated is working 100%.

The problem arises when the engine hasn't been on for 30+ minutes. Select D, pull away with the handbrake being auto released and it shudders and stalls. Restart it, and it's fine. This is occurring every 250 miles or so.

It has the revised EGR fitted.

It's a Volvo Selekt vehicle, with 8 months warranty remaining I spoke to a service desk person and he said to run it on premium fuels and see what happens. It doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm going back there in a couple of weeks once I've emptied the latest tank.
Is that the 4 cylinder or the 5 cylinder ? if the 4 cylinder then highly likely the egr valve is sticking open ..
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:35   #10
mbrain
New Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 09:57
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kings Sutton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Is that the 4 cylinder or the 5 cylinder ? if the 4 cylinder then highly likely the egr valve is sticking open ..
Hi, yes the 4 cylinder model.

The EGR has already been replaced, so could this still be the problem?
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:11.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.