Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Full software update

Views : 4261

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2018, 21:24   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
Picking mine up on Monday - surely I don't have to ask if software is fully up to date - or maybe I should!
If it is brand new yes , it is part of the PDI but as it takes 50 minutes some may skip it as the maps take about that time too ... you should have a copy of the PDI sheet anyway ..
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 10:24   #12
S90
IT Guru

Sadly we are all at the mercy of the dealers and the apparent 'black magic' of software updates.

I do find that PA likes the left hand side of the lane, and I really don't believe the crap that it not possible to calibrate it!

Saying that, sat in a queue of traffic yesterday and PA worked amazingly smoothly and literally required no steering or pedal input for 20 mins or so, all under 10mph, so the system feels better, curves on the road are handled better, a new BIG icon in the dash saying Input Steering.

Im not sure why Volvo with all their safety bumph can't have the car do what every other car with autonomous does, if you don't touch the steering wheel after and extended period the car will initiate a procedure to slow the car and stop. What happens in the Volvo if you ignore the warnings?? I assume it just turns the system off an plows you into the next object possible??
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 21:06   #13
AdamC86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
Picking mine up on Monday - surely I don't have to ask if software is fully up to date - or maybe I should!
I picked mine up last week and it was spot on software-wise.
AdamC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamC86 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 23:46   #14
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Sadly we are all at the mercy of the dealers and the apparent 'black magic' of software updates.

I do find that PA likes the left hand side of the lane, and I really don't believe the crap that it not possible to calibrate it!

Saying that, sat in a queue of traffic yesterday and PA worked amazingly smoothly and literally required no steering or pedal input for 20 mins or so, all under 10mph, so the system feels better, curves on the road are handled better, a new BIG icon in the dash saying Input Steering.

Im not sure why Volvo with all their safety bumph can't have the car do what every other car with autonomous does, if you don't touch the steering wheel after and extended period the car will initiate a procedure to slow the car and stop. What happens in the Volvo if you ignore the warnings?? I assume it just turns the system off an plows you into the next object possible??

I am so addicted to Pilot Assist. Every time I hit a dual carriage way or a motorway, I switch to the left lane and hit the PA button. I can drive for hours with PA on and arrive feeling pretty fresh. I do forget to touch the steering wheel often though, thankfully the warning is loud enough to make me pay attention again before the car comes to a halt on its own presumably.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 08:37   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted View Post
I am so addicted to Pilot Assist. Every time I hit a dual carriage way or a motorway, I switch to the left lane and hit the PA button. I can drive for hours with PA on and arrive feeling pretty fresh. I do forget to touch the steering wheel often though, thankfully the warning is loud enough to make me pay attention again before the car comes to a halt on its own presumably.
looks like a lot of poor drivers here , PA does NOT drive the car for you .. YOU are supposed to be driving and in full control of the car at all times , just like we have since motoring began .PA is what is says, an ASSIST for if you fall asleep or otherwise get distracted , to drive no handed is foolish and called "driving without due care and attention" ...
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 09:23   #16
Fursty Ferret

I found that tapping the steering wheel every 10 seconds got annoying quickly, and was actually more tiring than just keeping my hand on it. YMMV.

Only problem now is that my lane keeping is terrible on motorways when in a car that doesn't have Pilot Assist. Irrespective, the difference it makes to fatigue on long journeys is remarkable.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 15:49   #17
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
looks like a lot of poor drivers here , PA does NOT drive the car for you .. YOU are supposed to be driving and in full control of the car at all times , just like we have since motoring began .PA is what is says, an ASSIST for if you fall asleep or otherwise get distracted , to drive no handed is foolish and called "driving without due care and attention" ...
Calm down. It's ok, you are a great driver! Alright!
The Following User Says Thank You to Converted For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 15:53   #18
Goodshot

Quote:
If it is brand new yes , it is part of the PDI but as it takes 50 minutes some may skip it as the maps take about that time too ... you should have a copy of the PDI sheet anyway ..
Thanks I'll make sure I get a copy of that.
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 16:06   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted View Post
Calm down. It's ok, you are a great driver! Alright!
I hope so . I do my best to be :-) no accidents yet ...
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 16:16   #20
Converted

Quote:
I hope so . I do my best to be :-) no accidents yet ...
You're definitely a better driver than me then! I've had 2 accidents in my life!

Have a nice rest of the weekend!