Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45282

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2016, 22:13   #171
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
Spot on description ! Until you've experienced the problem its hard for members without out it to comprehend, its my only gripe with the car, but I'm wondering if curly may have something, I drive really sedately , but whenever the garage has given it a test run it comes back much sharper
Dave
when pulling away have you tried pressing the pedal down slowly rather than slamming it to the floor ? Also check the vacuum supply to the turbo control valve , should be over 25 in /hg preferably 28 in/hg
Old Feb 11th, 2016, 00:05   #172
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Clan
Yes pressing the pedal slowly gives the best acceleration, but if you suddenly need to get a move on and floor it the car seems to almost stop dead in its tracks for s few seconds , then race off like a scalded cat @
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2017, 20:34   #173
californiajim

We have a 2013 XC90 all wheel drive with a non turbo gas 6cyl.
30,000 miles
Delay from standing start is 8 seconds.
Stepping on gas while holding brake works and very slowly starting to depress gas works.
Fast acceleration from a stop sign or traffic light causes a delay of 8 seconds.
Had latest trans reprogram download, shifts better but hesitation problem still the same.
Anyone tried Replacing ETM (electronic throttle module)?
Thank's
PS If I find a cure I will post as (XC90 hesitation solved)
californiajim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to californiajim For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:49   #174
Music2ears

Default Hesitation

Yes i get this too... Was there ever a fix for this?
Music2ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:56   #175
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Turning TDC off does seem to help but have also found if I drive enthusiastically everything gets more responsive including lifting off from a standing start.

BTW - the delay in mine is small in the region of a second or so when at its worst, never 8 seconds, that suggests a definite problem as for me would be way outside normal parameters.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:43   #176
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music2ears View Post
Yes i get this too... Was there ever a fix for this?
I complained to the DVSA years ago about this being a serious hazard when exiting junctions into traffic.
All they did was refer the complaint to Volvo to look into.
Guess what?
Volvo said the cars' performance was as expected and there was nothing wrong.
End of DVSA's concern.

Just have to wait until a bigger gap in the traffic appears - usually to the frustration of other drivers behind you who don't understand the delay problem we have to put up with.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:03   #177
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Don't forget the system does not respond so well to the accelerator being floored but responds faster to a controlled throttle application. I never found acceleration to be an issue with mine bearing in mind you are shifting well over two tons of car.

Roy
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:31   #178
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Roy , you seem to be one of the fortunate owners that hasn't experienced the delay, mine sadly still does it at 170 k, over the years I just adapted my driving style , I try to never " floor it" but sometimes the situation overcomes my reluctance , and just results in a few seconds delay , then off like a scalded cat ! , or more often I always wait for a massive gap before pulling out into traffic ( much to the annoyance of my passengers and following cars )
Dave
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:56   #179
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Did Volvo alter something at some stage to rectify this issue because my recently purchased 2007 D5 XC90 Geartronic does not display this fault even with a heavy caravan on the back.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 21:12   #180
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

judging by this forum no definitive cure has been found, some cars do it and some don't , some people have reported a slight improvement with electronic tuning , some suggested its to do with the adaptive gearbox , ie drive like an old man and the car will drive like an old mans car ! . compared to my old s80's gearbox which was adaptive , Ive never noted any change in my xc's, this fault isn't restricted to xc90's , a friends xc70 behaves the same
Dave