Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252T Oil pan / sump removal

Views : 4823

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 20:10   #1
kvcuijck

Default D5252T Oil pan / sump removal

Hello Volvo enthusiast!

I'm looking for some advice on removing the oil pan on a V70 2.5D / TDI 1999 with the VW 5-cyl diesel engine. Reason for removal is replacement of the oil pump gasket which is suspected of leaking oil...

I tried to remove the oil sump by following the steps as they are presented in VADIS. All this worked very well until I reached the last step (of which I thought would be the easiest step of all):

"Remove the oil pan"

That just isn't so easy.... because it's stuck behind the engine/driveshaft/mount support on one side (timebelt) and to the power steering lines on the other (gearbox) side. I tried several things but it didn't work out. Last resort for me is to remove the support that's seems in the path of the sump OR a great hint from you guys!

Anybody?

Regards,

Koen from The Netherlands
kvcuijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:01   #2
John97Tdi
Master Member

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but when I had the sump seal changed on my TDi at a local garage they had to move the power steering pipes to gain access to remove the sump. How do I know? Because the pipes were so fragile due to corrosion they fractured and had to be sourced from a main dealer and replaced. Hope you don't have the same problem.

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 16:09   #3
PNuT
MaDMaN

Nothing like reviving an old thread....

Have started this sump removal job as i need to replace the oil pump gasket, but i seem to have two bolts holding the sump on behind the flywheel...

I am assuming i need to remove the gearbox/flywheel to get to these bolts?

I also assume the oil pump cannot be removed without removing the sump?

It id defiantly turning out to be a bigger job than i hoped for!!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 17:44   #4
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

Having looked at vida

It says there are 2 bolts that are only accessible through holes in the bottom of the gearbox housing

You have to turn the crank in order to line up the holes in flywheel with holes in gearbox to get at them mate

2 person job with a big sod off light source required me thinks
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 18:13   #5
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO View Post
Having looked at vida

It says there are 2 bolts that are only accessible through holes in the bottom of the gearbox housing

You have to turn the crank in order to line up the holes in flywheel with holes in gearbox to get at them mate

2 person job with a big sod off light source required me thinks
trouble with that is the timing belt is off so i cant turn the engine

do you have any idea what position the engine should be in to do this? i would have assumed the position its in! i can see them but dont have enough room to get the allen key in.....
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 21:11   #6
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

It`s all to do with the gap in the flywheel pnut the one that is there for the flywheels sensor to figure out where the flywheel is at a certain point when the engine is running thats the only gap and that how you get into the holes to get the bolts so you need to be able to turn the engine in order to line the gap up with the holes in bottom of gearbox housing the tdc is only for the timing belt you need to be able to turn the engine
The Following User Says Thank You to XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:12   #7
PNuT
MaDMaN

Cheers i will have a play when i get home from work....

I guess the bolts are supposed to be removed first if you know you are removing the sump.... rather than half way through a job
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 00:26   #8
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
Cheers i will have a play when i get home from work....

I guess the bolts are supposed to be removed first if you know you are removing the sump.... rather than half way through a job
Let me know how it goes as it`ll be a job on my list of to do`s for my tdi
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 05:20   #9
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO View Post
Let me know how it goes as it`ll be a job on my list of to do`s for my tdi

so far it has gone ok, I am a little concerned about the oil pump gasket & if i should have used any sealant as its a completely different type of gasket to the one that came off! The old one was like an old school fibre type thing & the new one appears to be made from some kind of plastic or even metal that looks like it crushes when tightened.....

It is little wonder to me that these things leak.... probably not the best idea in the world having the sump join two separate items....
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 17:23   #10
Fancourt

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of getting the sump pan past the bracket for the right hand engine mount?
Fancourt is offline   Reply With Quote