Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5, '52, Knock from rear

Views : 1519

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 18:10   #1
DaveL485

Default S60 D5, '52, Knock from rear

I have a knock from the rear drivers side when I go over bumps. S60 D5, 2002.

I have already changed all 4 drop links around the car. Knock is just like a shot drop link though (yes they're tight, yes the wheel is tight)

What would be the next most likely culprit? I plan to do the front wishbone bushes next (front N/S, front bush is goosed) and would like this rear knock resolved at the same time

Thanks in advance!
DaveL485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 19:31   #2
Ben Bhraggie

Default Knock from rear.

I have just had my S60 MOT'd. Bought it without MOT, it needed some work, the bottom front ball joint is quite easy.
Now that I am using the car I am hearing the same knock you describe. The links on mine have been done and the MOT was very thorough, so I would be surprised if something was missed.
I will reply during the week with my findings.
My main concern with the car is smokey exhaust. Black smoke when pulling even some smoke on light load. I checked [roughly]the turbo and induction system by having the engine reved and feeling the intake rubber hoses for swelling and for any fall off in pressure, all OK. I wondered about the EGR valve but that is usually a great loss in power along with black smoke, mine goes very well. Air filter is OK but not new so I may replace tomorrow.
Ben
Ben Bhraggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 21:04   #3
Coventry
Master Member

After narrowing down a rear knock on our S60 to the spring/shock/mount area and replacing the top mount first (because it was cheapest), it turned out to be one shock absorber.

They are very quick and simple to remove, take them off and check the travel/feel of each unit. Our shot one was very easy to identify!

2 new Sachs units later and all was quiet.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 21:10   #4
DaveL485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
it turned out to be one shock absorber.
Hmmm. Was hoping for something cheaper lol!!
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 16:01   #5
Ben Bhraggie

Default Knock from rear.

Just back from looking at the rear suspention on a ramp. All looks well, the antiroll bar bushes are a bit loose but would not make the knock I have.
Thanks for the insight that it could be the shocks, never thought of them, I figured shocks would knock with every bump as they work. My s60 knocks when the nearside hits say a drain it the side of the road but if you go over a sleeping policeman I cannot hear anything. I am not worried so will keep an eye on it.

Ben.
Ben Bhraggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 14:48   #6
DaveL485

So this is still bugging the living **** out of me. Ive changed the topmount, shock, drop link and still it knocks.
Ive driven it without the droplink on and it still knocks.
Ive stripped the rear brake off and made the handbrake shoe retaining springs tighter, greased all the movement points, checked the footbrake caliper and sliders, the pad anti rattle springs and all that is OK.
Ive loaded up the wheel with it in the air (put weight on suspension) and I still can't detect anything loose.
There is no play in the wheel/bearing. There is no lateral play. The spring is seated properly and not broken. The bushes are all intact and show no signs of obvious wear, certainly not to cause this noise like something is loose.

It knocks whether the footbrake is on, or the handbrake is on.

It knocks when it's 'jarred' so to speak, a simple, smooth hump in the road for example will not make it knock. When it's jarred the knock is multiple times like a rattle or there is a resonance or vibration involved, almost like a loose wheel or badly worn wheel bearing, or something loose in the boot (no, there isn't I checked, inc the spare and tools). It's essentially a rattle, but the noise is a knock.

It's directly related to the back drivers side wheel and what its doing.

Impacts on the back passenger side in the same vein do not make a noise/knock.

What else could it possible be???!!! Help me pleeeeeeeease!
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 15:00   #7
RM955I
Premier Member

I share you pain. Luckily I have no knocks but the crashy ride of my V70 and the rattles are starting to irritate me. I've gone round the entire car spraying silicone behind trim joints and tapping all of the panels to try and isolate anything that rattles or knocks.

As for yours, have you ensured the spare and the toolkit/jack are properly strapped down? Mine wasn't which was making a lot of noise.

For what it's worth my car copes fine with the more gentle bumps but sharp bumps in the road cause it to jar and I also think that it's worse on dips/man hole covers when the wheel drops into the void. Now that the initial 'honeymoon period' is wearing off I'm starting to wonder whether it's just a question of the ride being inherently cr*p.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 15:02   #8
RM955I
Premier Member

oops..double post.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 15:10   #9
DaveL485

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
As for yours, have you ensured the spare and the toolkit/jack are properly strapped down? Mine wasn't which was making a lot of noise.
Yup. Stripped every last thing out of the boot in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
For what it's worth my car copes fine with the more gentle bumps but sharp bumps in the road cause it to jar and I also think that it's worse on dips/man hole covers when the wheel drops into the void.
Yes same as...but one side makes a rattle the other doesnt. Its defo not supposed to do it, it really sounds like something is badly knackered.
NOTHING I have done has made even the tiniest bit of difference. It's crazy.

Ironically, my Renaults are putting the big Volvo to shame in the reliability stakes. Alternator, driveshaft, two sets of wishbones, DIM failure, rear knock, front bottom balljoints, front discs and pads, tyres... it's getting tedious.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 15:44   #10
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Have you checked the exhaust hangers....sometimes it's the obvious things that can be missed.
stephenevans99 is offline   Reply With Quote