Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Level problems!

Views : 911

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2018, 12:54   #1
broski

Default Oil Level problems!

Hi guys...apologies for long post, I will be as brief as poss...
Took my 2012 V60 D5 to Formula 1 autocentre for 2 new rears..and at same time they did a free "Summer Check".
On leaving the station I noticed I had a Message saying Engine System Service Required.
I looked this up and it pointed towards them having topped up the oil and overfilled it. Checked the oil readout and sure enough it was full beyond the max.
Unbelievably, the station denied that they could have done anything to cause this- even denied putting any oil in -purely based upon the fact I wasnt charged for it! Insisted it was because my engine needed a service (despite it being bought from a Volvo garage 6 months earlier and having done only 4000 miles since...and was perfect before they got their mits on it!)
After much heated debate, he agreed to take some out. They did this and couldnt stop it coming out he said (eh??) SO..agreed finally to totally replace the oil. (by now I am thinking he has some guilt here that he would not admit to)
They didnt replace the oil filter though.
Then he comes and says there is a problem.....they had put in 5.6L of the recommended 5.9L and yet the electronic oil read showed it already above Max!
He was admittedly concerned at sending it out with less than the recommended level- but I said to leave it at that as in my opinion the other .3L was probably retained in the unchanged oil filter (which he said would make no difference but hey ho..)
The Message was still there of course but I had previously read that it takes a few miles to disappear in these cases (thanks VOCF!) so took it for a run straight after.
And joy of joys the Message has finally disappeared!
The only niggle I have left is that the electronic oil read STILL shows it above Max..even though the Message hasnt come back...and of course that it may be 0.3L underfilled.
I am of the impression i should just run it at that and see how it goes despite my reservations....anyone agree or have any opinions which would be very welcome?
broski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 14:13   #2
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I think it may still be over full, you should only 3/4 fill the oil on these, as the level can rise due to failed DPF's, mine always shows 1 bar from full on the electornic guage I think this is where it's meant to be. My car was serviced 2 weeks ago checked the electronic oil level after and yup still showing 1 bar from full. This was the same on my 2012 C30 D3, and now my V40 D4. If you fill the oil to the full position failed DPF's can increase the level above the maximum
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 15:34   #3
Grimble
Grimble

What idiot decided that electronics were a sensible substitute for a strip of metal with some marks on it?
Has anybody, ever, had a problem reading the oil level off a dipstick??
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 16:04   #4
broski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
What idiot decided that electronics were a sensible substitute for a strip of metal with some marks on it?
Has anybody, ever, had a problem reading the oil level off a dipstick??
Couldnt agree more!!! I have more faith in reading a dipstick than an electronic readout
The Following User Says Thank You to broski For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 16:13   #5
broski

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
I think it may still be over full, you should only 3/4 fill the oil on these, as the level can rise due to failed DPF's, mine always shows 1 bar from full on the electornic guage I think this is where it's meant to be. My car was serviced 2 weeks ago checked the electronic oil level after and yup still showing 1 bar from full. This was the same on my 2012 C30 D3, and now my V40 D4. If you fill the oil to the full position failed DPF's can increase the level above the maximum
Must admit scooby, I am inclined to agree with you and feel unsettled about leaving it like that in a possible overfilled state(even if the usual Message hasnt reappeared)
Against taking some out however, is the contra that they put less in than recommended in the first place..so taking more out would still leave me feeling worried. UNLESS of course leaving the original oil filter in accounted for a reasonable amount of the original oil that was left undrained? Been trying to find out what they hold and most guesses are " half a quart"...whats that in litres?- say 0.6 litre?
Maybe if I get it drained off to the correct measure on the electronic readout..and then just keep an eye out to see if a Low Engine Oil warning appears? (although i dont even fancy this occurring either)
I guess what it boils down to in the end is what do I trust most? The level of oil put in or the electronic readout?

On last thought...it will be due for its full annual service in December..would it really do too much damage to leave it until I have a full proper change then??- bearing in mind I probably will only do around 4000 miles in that time?
Lesson learned here...NEVER let any tyre station do any work not within their usual remit!

Last edited by broski; Jun 26th, 2018 at 16:19.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 16:18   #6
AndyJudge
Premier Member

There is a dipstick you can check, just it's buried deep in the engine. You can buy a police spec dipstick kit to replace the lickle plastic one at the bottom of the engine.

I would be very cautious about the oil that Formula 1 had put into the car ? Does it meet the correct specifications for the car ?
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 19:04   #7
harveys
Master Member

My C30 D3 doesn't have a dipstick .
When I did a oil change I used VIDA to set the level ,Which requires the oil temp to be around 80~90 Degrees and the engine running at 800 rpm then the screen will say the level if low or high then it asks you if you want to recalibrate the dash display so max is really 70% ( 0-100% is like low to max on a dipstick) I can see why so many people get it wrong.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 15:31   #8
Mick787

Broski, may I suggest you invest in the police dipstick? Mine is now fitted with one, I never knew just how much I would miss not being able to use my eyes. Obviously there are some who enjoy relying on sensors. Each to their own.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 15:39   #9
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
...Obviously there are some who enjoy relying on sensors. Each to their own.
A piece of metal with notches on doesn't fail over time though, or rely on electronics

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 15:56   #10
ksmi
Master Member

Question If you want to know the level,ask a policeman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Broski, may I suggest you invest in the police dipstick? Mine is now fitted with one, I never knew just how much I would miss not being able to use my eyes. Obviously there are some who enjoy relying on sensors. Each to their own.
Perhaps we should ask the question,Why do the Police have a dip stick???????
Could it be the sensors are reading high?.......or maybe they are reading low?

Regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post: