Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG for a 65 plate - What do you guys get?

Views : 2091

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:52   #1
Yelper85

Default MPG for a 65 plate - What do you guys get?

Hi all,

What kind of MPG values do you guys get on a 65 plate, so the new engine variant?

Officially it's around 70mpg, but even on long runs I'm not getting above 38-39mpg.

Got the car from a main dealer, had a major service and it's been in for other repairs, both safety and oil leaks from the rocker so was hoping it would fix, alas not!

The car has come up with a 'Reduced Engine Performance' warning one, but the dealer said it self reset so not to worry . . . .

Any input would be much appreciated.
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:58   #2
TeamG
Master Member

You don’t mention the model, engine, gearbox or drivetrain.

My ‘17 XC-60 D4 AWD is currently averaging 24mpg, but only on the second tankful since lockdown (the March one) and haven’t gone further than 4.5 miles in 8 months so not too surprising.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 19:09   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Not sure how similar our vehicles are, but over two years of ownership I've been getting around 48mpg (calculated fill-to-fill) on a fair mix of short, medium and long journeys. This fits in pretty well with the mpg findings on the Honest John website.

If I reset the trip statistics display while gently cruising at 65/70mph on a motorway then I can achieve a displayed 65+mpg average for that part of the journey. But that's really cheating and I know the trip statistic average reading is about 5% over- optimistic!
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 19:33   #4
Yelper85

Apologies, I really should have been more specific.

Mine is 65 plate D4 with automatic transmission. FWD only. Engine model i'm not sure, but I know it's the later model as the tax was only £30 for the year compared to the D4/D5 of earlier models.

I know it's winter and it's got winter fuel in (less than half a tank), however this V60 replaced an 07 plate VW Golf GT Sport FWD 200BHP which got 45-50 in winter running winter fuel and winter tyres (calculated fill-to-fill as well).

Given I've only had the car a month and it's travelled basically nothing due to the pandemic, I wonder if a few tanks of premium diesel and an Italian cleanup will improve things.

Power wise it's not sluggish, however I wonder if it's only ever been fed basic supermarket fuel so the the injection system could do with a good cleanup.
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 21:36   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Apologies, I really should have been more specific.

Mine is 65 plate D4 with automatic transmission. FWD only. Engine model i'm not sure, but I know it's the later model as the tax was only £30 for the year compared to the D4/D5 of earlier models.

I know it's winter and it's got winter fuel in (less than half a tank), however this V60 replaced an 07 plate VW Golf GT Sport FWD 200BHP which got 45-50 in winter running winter fuel and winter tyres (calculated fill-to-fill as well).

Given I've only had the car a month and it's travelled basically nothing due to the pandemic, I wonder if a few tanks of premium diesel and an Italian cleanup will improve things.

Power wise it's not sluggish, however I wonder if it's only ever been fed basic supermarket fuel so the the injection system could do with a good cleanup.
Pretty sure that yours must also have a VEA engine like mine, although my VED is only £20.

I always run mine on whatever diesel is cheapest when I'm passing. Never been convinced about the benefits of Italian tuneups!
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 21:42   #6
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Pretty sure that yours must also have a VEA engine like mine, although my VED is only £20.

I always run mine on whatever diesel is cheapest when I'm passing. Never been convinced about the benefits of Italian tuneups!
What diesel is it though even though you say cheapest? Are we saying you’ve ran on nothing but supermarket basic and Gulf chip fat oil?
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 22:11   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
What diesel is it though even though you say cheapest? Are we saying you’ve ran on nothing but supermarket basic and Gulf chip fat oil?
I honestly don't know what it was that I last put in... local indy is very cheap and doesn't say what fuel is being sold, at least on any of the signs I ever look at. Happy to buy supermarket stuff as necessary though, it all meets BS/EN590 and surely must come from the same refineries?

Considering the decent performance the engine can muster when ragged, I reckon the economy is very good.
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 22:14   #8
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

I get regular a 40 mpg overall on mixed driving when not towing. More than happy with that and it has proved a good tug as well. Runs on pretty much 100% supermarket fuel; lets face it, it's a diesel and I have never been convinced of the high cetane fuel arguments. I would however be more concerned with the increase in 'FAME'(look it up) fuel when left in tanks for long periods of time particularly if a vehicle is sorned for a period of time. Diesel bug is a major issue within the marine diesel using community.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 09:05   #9
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
I get regular a 40 mpg overall on mixed driving when not towing. More than happy with that and it has proved a good tug as well. Runs on pretty much 100% supermarket fuel; lets face it, it's a diesel and I have never been convinced of the high cetane fuel arguments.
Same here, averaging around 40mpg on supermarket diesel for mixed driving. Can get near 50mpg on a long run.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 19:33   #10
Yelper85

Just to be clear Dash300 and spaceman2844, are you running V60s as your signatures say XC60/90?

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar