Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45268

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 19:59   #141
bircham

The demonstrator (a 1000 mile Active geartronic) I tested last tuesday had absolutely no delay either. I was amazed at the way that it leapt off the line at junctions etc. Perhaps it is an individual thing to the cars? Although I have no idea what it might be.

Jon
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:30   #142
surf otter
Surf Otter

Default Pulling away in XC90 geartronic

It sounds very much like this is not a problem on new or recent cars, I also test drove then xc90 a few weeks ago. The car was a nearly new (less than one year old) greatronic SE and I was very impressed with how responsive it was. No delay from standstill and very lively on the road. I also tested a manual car which stangely seemed sluggish in comparison. I put this down to my driving style. On the manual car I think I was changing up a little early for the car resulting in a slight lag before the revs/turbo got working. The auto box seemed to keep the revs a little higher making the car seem livelier.

Anyhow, I loved the car and placed an order for a D5 Active geartronic.
surf otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 13:29   #143
vincentp
XC90 D5 RDesign

Default Still a problem with 2009 models

Hi All

Old thread I know, but I noticed some saying the problem doesn't affect newer XC90's :

Well I have a 2009 XC90 D5 RDesign, and the hesitation problem is making think about trading the car in, and that's after only 3500km.

This is the first diesel car I've owned, so when I noticed this issue during the test drive, the sales people said "oh, that's normal on diesels, it get's better when they have run in"... turns out that is sales bullsh1t. Needless to say I'm not real happy, for a $80K car to have such a fundamental problem. When I pull away from a standstill, the car crawls along as though it has a problem for a couple of seconds, and then suddenly it's like a rocket and the front wheels often spin.. it's especially bad in the wet. It's like a turbo lag, and I try to anticipate it, but it's not consistent. I've had passengers comment on my driving style as a result.. and I've had to let a couple of them drive the car to make them believe that it's the car and not me!

What annoys me most is that otherwise I love the car, but after almost being T-Boned a few times at intersection when the car just wouldn't go, I'm now driving it like the stereo-typical volvo driver, night as well take up lawn bowls and get the appropriate head wear.

I'm taking mine in to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do.. but I'm betting they will say there is nothing wrong with it.

Vincent.
vincentp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vincentp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 21:32   #144
chrisnjulie
Volvo & Victory owner

We've only had our XC90 D5 Geartronic for about 2 weeks, but have both noticed this delay when pulling off, and it has caused a few sphincter clenching moments.
Past - 480 1.7, V40 1.8
chrisnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisnjulie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 22:03   #145
AB-UK
Premier Member

vincentp's comments and feelings for the XC90 echo my own.
A real shame this problem still persists.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 00:14   #146
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Just unfortunate that nothing is or ever will be done about it!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 14:28   #147
AndyRaps

Add me to the list, I am new to the forum but I have had my D5 from new Sept 2004 and I just assumed it was a feature of an underpowered diesel - it was my first. I have had to endure many abusive hand signals and teeth clenching moments as I pull onto roundabouts - I'm sure there must be owners who have had accidents because of it.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 14:50   #148
chrisnjulie
Volvo & Victory owner

I mentioned this when I was at the local stealer last week, and they checked if it was up to date on the software - it wasn't, so they uploaded the new stuff and it doesn't seem so bad pulling away now - there's still a bit of a delay if you try to boot it, but that's only if you try to get away in a hurry. I've found 2 ways round it:

1. Once the car has started rolling, you can usually hoof it and it will go then (but it won't pick up immediately from a standing start)

2. Hold your left foot on the brake and put a few revs on, then let go of the brake (last time I did that I think I gave it a bit too much throttle and it took off like a scalded cat - lucky I was on a clear straight stretch of road just testing it to see if it worked, cos if I'd been pulling out of a junction I'd probably have pooed meself)
Past - 480 1.7, V40 1.8
chrisnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:03   #149
AB-UK
Premier Member

The difficulty in getting Volvo to address this issue is because we have all found ways to cope with the problem, and have changed our previous way of driving.

The point is - WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS - Volvo have messed up and refuse to admit there is a fault and do something about it. I have said previously, this doesn't happen in all makes of diesel SUVs.

However, because we have learned by experience and from near misses and other "sphincter clenching moments", we are unlikely to die as a result of this delay, and without fatalities Volvo (like its parent company Ford) will never get off their a$%es and fix the problem.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 22:48   #150
R-P
Master Member

Add me to the list (even though I'm Dutch and won't be able to be of assistance).

Volvo V70 D5 AWD geartronic. Former police car. Unfortunately I was very careful with it when getting it, so I do not remember if it was also this bad with the old engine (with one injector not working and this cylinder having bad compression). The 'replacement' engine certainly has this problem.

It's always simply dangerous, but with a cold motor is worse. Freezing temps made it absolutely unbelievable.

Had a Volvo guy and a Rica guy drive it. I think I asked them both if it was normal. The Rica guy said yes and blamed the AWD for it being slightly worse than normal. The Volvo guy said it was normal.

Flooring it does not change anything. It's only when reaching ~1800rpm that it jumps forward, whether slowly accelerating or putting your lead foot down.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote