Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45255

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2009, 20:22   #151
ronecc

Default slow uptake

I was looking to buy an XC90 today, but thought I would check out any problems first, and came across this thread. It will not be much help to you all, but my daughter has a new Disco', and it has the same lag. I used to work at a Jaguar garage and the S type with the 2.7 diesel has the same lag. The problem is that most of the turbo diesels have a single turbo. You need a twin turbo that will spin the engine at low revs instead of waiting until the high boost at 15-1700 rpm. The ideal thing would be for manufacturers to supercharge their diesels. This would cure all the problems, but cheap single boost turbos is what they wish to use to keep costs down.
ronecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 22:10   #152
Deejai
I've Been Banned

It is a huge issue for my v70 D5.

I am unsure if it's normal behaviour for this car, or a problem with the turbo, such as a stuck turbo vane.
Deejai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 12:44   #153
R-P
Master Member

Let us know if you ever find out.

I recently was told my intercooler is leaking during an MOT at the stealers. Since I see no oil under it, which is my test to see if it is leaking*, it may (1) not be broken, (2) always have been broken or (3) recently failed.

If (2) is the case, there is still some small slither of hope I will improve on my problems when replacing it....

* Regarding it being my test to see if it is leaking: obviously engine error codes would also be a clue to it leaking, but I have no consistent codes worth mentioning.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 20:05   #154
danjo

My 2006 XC90 Ocean Race does this exact thing and also my brothers 2009 XC90 R Design so I thought it was just a character thing....

Is the re anything to check?
danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 00:26   #155
icaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
The difficulty in getting Volvo to address this issue is because we have all found ways to cope with the problem, and have changed our previous way of driving.

The point is - WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS - Volvo have messed up and refuse to admit there is a fault and do something about it. I have said previously, this doesn't happen in all makes of diesel SUVs.

However, because we have learned by experience and from near misses and other "sphincter clenching moments", we are unlikely to die as a result of this delay, and without fatalities Volvo (like its parent company Ford) will never get off their a$%es and fix the problem.
Agreed. Sad to say that I've also factored in "the lag" into my driving and and don't pull into traffic unless I've got time and space on my side.
icaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 01:07   #156
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
The difficulty in getting Volvo to address this issue is because we have all found ways to cope with the problem, and have changed our previous way of driving.

The point is - WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS - Volvo have messed up and refuse to admit there is a fault and do something about it. I have said previously, this doesn't happen in all makes of diesel SUVs.

However, because we have learned by experience and from near misses and other "sphincter clenching moments", we are unlikely to die as a result of this delay, and without fatalities Volvo (like its parent company Ford) will never get off their a$%es and fix the problem.
I don't have a lag issue on my XC90, never have had. Their safety record is second to none. Insurance is about one third of a comparable competitors car thanks to this.

For the last five years Volvo cars parent company has been the Geely Automotive. So far Volvo cars has had free reign to pursue their own car design philosophy.

The rest of the Volvo Group is still owned by them. Renault Truck, Mack Trucks, UD Trucks, Volvo Trucks, Volvo Buses, Volvo Commercial Vehicles, Volvo Construction Equipment, Volvo Financial Services, Volvo IT, Volvo Penta,
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 14:52   #157
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

When this subject pops up I always hope someones found a cure , my xc has done it throughout my 5 years ownership, like icaro I always wait for a good gap before pulling out into traffic , much to the annoyance of cars behind me and sometimes my passengers , but I've had way too many near misses in the past , leaving me virtually dead in the water half way across the carriageway with oncoming traffic, still love the car in spite of this .
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 13:26   #158
mads

I have it on my MY 2012 d5 R-Design and I think it can be dangerous.
mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 18:31   #159
ctreex1

Default ctreex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
I'm convinced that the lengthy delay between depressing the accelerator, and the car actually moving is a DANGER in my XC90..

There have been numerous threads about this in the forum, but I think it's time to raise the issue with Volvo, and the more people who find it a problem, the better.

So, if you drive an XC90 Geartronic D5 and think the delay when pulling away is an issue, please post here so I can gauge numbers...

Please don't post that you don't find it a problem or that yours doesn't do it, as I'd like to keep the thread to the point.

Would be grateful if a mod could sticky this too...

Thanks

Mike
Yes my 2010 XC90 D5 Auto with Polestar does it too.
ctreex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 20:43   #160
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Have you tried putting the gearbox into sport mode first before pulling out?

My 2015 XC60 hesitates if you are driving gently unless you put it into sport, or unless adaptive cruise is on and then when you signal the revs and power are immediately there. I allow for it if there is plenty of room or take the sport or the easier turn on adaptive cruise option.

It has different gearbox characteristics to my 2003 XC90 which always has the power available so I think it's down to the gearbox software program. I suspect it's to do with maximising fuel consumption.