Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45261

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:03   #81
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Y View Post
Interesting thread, thought i'd offer my opinion. I own a 2004 V70 geartronic, which suffers the "lag" problem. I have to say it is the most stressful car I have ever driven and without doubt extremely dangerous. Stop, starting around town is an absolute nightmare but the most dangerous time is pulling off a side road on to somewhere like the A1 or anywhere that has a 70mph national speed limit. Unless you make allowances for the lag imagine how much closer a car travelling towards you at 70+ mph is when you loose between 1-2 seconds pulling off. I spoke to my local dealer before and they admit it is a problem but they had no remedy.
I emailed Volvo UK but never received a reply.
They are perhaps adopting the politicians way of doing things "bury your head in the sand" until such times as it starts to affect public opinion of them.
What really amazes me is for a manufacturer who's brand has been built up through its commitment for safety, they consider this an acceptable product.
As someone who has always had Volvo's and purchased Volvo's for a sales force, I would never entertain buying a Volvo again, it is simply the most stressful and dangerous car I have driven. Their standards seemed to have lapsed drastically over the last few years, which is probably why our local longstanding "stand alone" main dealer closed recently and it was merged with another of their vehicle franshises in the same town.
I can quite accept a product fault, provided its recognised and resolved, especially when it comes to matters of safety, but not to offer an answer/remedy to a real safety issue is totally unacceptable in my opinion.
Regards
Marcus
I phoned VUK and was promised a call back three times. Never did they actually call me back, so I emailed them via the website and still got no reply so in the end I phoned global customer services in Sweden, things started to move quickly once I did that, a senior woman from VUK called me, almost immediately after I got off the phone to Sweden and appologised profusely for not replying sooner. Call me cynical, but think they have a bit of a culture problem in VUK when it comes to doing anything remotely related to work. If you take your issue to Sweden I am sure you will get a response.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 13:22   #82
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Every time I emailed GCR in Sweden when I was getting nowhere they pointed me back to VCUk.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 15:04   #83
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miti View Post
We've had our XC90 for a month now... (53 Plate, MY04, D5 SE, 120k Miles)

Overall VERY happy with the car (Wife ecstatic..) but definitely something vague and "woolly" about it's low speed performance... We've both experienced the "delay" in pulling away (Tee junction onto main road at the end of the feeder into the estate where we live - glad it's not a BUSY trunk road...) I thought, at first, that it was turbo-lag, but it's more like the EMS is quietly considering the requests from the throttle pedal...!!

That's why I bought your DTE box Mike... Fitted it last night... Both "Her Indoors" and I have driven the car (only around the village, but that's where the "problem" shows up most..)

Initial impressions..? Well, we both agree that there has been an improvement... The box is set to "default", so should be 193 bhp at max chat... Starts as normal and no EMS problems indicated (always a good start, eh..?)

Pulling away from a standstill, there's a definite improvement and the car has a much more precise feel to the low speed throttle control... My wife commented that she felt she was getting "more revs" for the same amount of input on the accelerator... (Could be the diver's boot she was wearing though..??) I've tried to recreate the "delay" on pulling away, but the DTE box certainly seems to have "cured" that...

So... If the DTE box has this effect, surely this hesitation problem MUST be down to the programming of the XC's EMS..??

We're going to "trial" the DTE box for a week or so to get a good feel for how it performs and any effects it may have on fuel consumption (we're not car speed-freaks, we both have 2-wheeled toys for that kind of fun..) Then I'll switch back to test whether or not we're kidding ourselves, or if the improvement is "real"...

I'll post up more, as & when...

Hope this helps...

Miti
Jeff,

It IS definately a programming, rather than a hardware issue - As removing the box from mine has made it much worse!!! (I take it my instructions were ok, and you don't need the photos?)

Also, the fact that a lot of people have either had an "Ok" car, which after a dealer "update" has had a problem, or indeed - vice versa, then this MUST be attributable to software...

What really annoys me, is that if it's a simple plug, program and done issue with a software update - Why are Volvo being complete @rses??? I'd even be glad to pay for the technicians time ~(maybe 30 mins) to perform the update, but their attitude (Volvo) beggars belief..

It IS a SERIOUS safety issue, that seems to affect a proportion of pretty much all Volvo's using this drivetrain (in both 163 AND 185 form)

So, come on Volvo - live up to your safety conscious reputation (whilst you still have it) and get these cars sorted, before someone gets seriously injured - or worse....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 14:38   #84
Miti

Default Oops..! How Rude of Me... :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Jeff,

It IS definately a programming, rather than a hardware issue - As removing the box from mine has made it much worse!!! (I take it my instructions were ok, and you don't need the photos?)
Sorry Mike... No, I don't need photos - Your instructions were quite clear and I had no problem finding the Common Rail Pressure Sensor Connector... I've "temporarily" fitted the box/wiring whilst "Her Indoors" and I get a feel for how the car performs...

When does your new motor arrive..? Must be a right PITA having to cope with the delay after "curing" it..??

Miti
Miti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miti For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 15:22   #85
AB-UK
Premier Member

VOSA still haven't responded to my complaints about this delay probelm since they say they referred the issue back to Volvo UK.
There really should be an independent body to look at cars - VOSA obviously isn't that body.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 18:13   #86
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Ive never had any response from them either and mine went in months before ABs!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 21:18   #87
GSMGuy
Master Member

Joke aren't they - Bet you if one of their testers actually drove on e of our cars, then they WOULD pronounce it as dangerous!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 21:26   #88
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Too busy "self funding" off the haulage industry in road side checks to do anything else!! The old " you havent any cash sir?? No problem theres a cash machine up the road we'll run you to so you can pay us for that broken bulb on your trailer!" routine.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 02:20   #89
electrocoolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miti View Post

I thought, at first, that it was turbo-lag, but it's more like the EMS is quietly considering the requests from the throttle pedal...

.....Pulling away from a standstill, there's a definite improvement and the car has a much more precise feel to the low speed throttle control... My wife commented that she felt she was getting "more revs" for the same amount of input on the accelerator...
Hi one and all.....my first post on the forum...

Reading with interest about this delay problem. I had exactly the same problem on my V70 D5 163 '03 auto (not geartronic)....though it was much more noticeable on cold start pull-aways (better when engine warm and up to temperature)....

Went back under warranty several times and I believe they finally made the pedal much more responsive at the 'low' end. Not sure if this was done via software or by adjusting the physical alignment of the throttle potentiometer, but the pedal is very sensitive down at the low end of travel, so much so that I conciously have to 'lift up' my foot to ease back the revs.

Regards, ecm
electrocoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 08:38   #90
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I thought I add my thoughts on this as well.

In 2003 I bought a new V70 2.5T Geartronic and I never had this "delay" issue. I did with a previous S80 2.4 (170) that I traded in, however.

In fact, the V70's GT box was the best auto'box I had ever experienced, at the time.

This issue that many seems to have with the delay, can be (I have been told) fixed by installing a tuning box (like the one from Tunit that actually plugs in rather than doing the ECU). Of course, this will make the car more powerful and your insurance company needs to be informed. Expect a hike in premium.

I believe that Tunit do let you try first although I am not sure. A quick phone call to them would sort this out.

This is from their homepage:

XC90 D5 163bhp/342Nm gives 195bhp/396Nm - a 19% power increase.
XC90 D5 185bhp/400Nm gives 211bhp/450Nm - a 14% power increase.

Cost for these units (V-CR) is Ł469 incl del and VAT.

Perhaps worth a try to overcome this delay issue???
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote