Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential new v60 owner...

Views : 421

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 22:27   #1
pyro
Volvo V70 2.5D

Default Potential new v60 owner...

Hi all,

I'm normally lurking over onthe 850/v70 and the p2 v70 forums. But I'm looking for a change for various reasons.

Currently got a v70 d5 geartronic, which is great, but showing its age. Needing a few bits sorting.

Got my eye on a 62-plate v60, 2lt 5 cylinder R-design. on 110k miles. Manual, Cambelt done and basically immaculate. From a dealer i know and trust for a shade under £6k (v70 exchange for £1500, so 4500)

Is there anything I should be particularly looking for on these? THis will be my first venture into "newer" volvos. (240, 360, 740 and v70's I know well!)

All seems to work, I've pressed all the buttons etc, drives well.

What sort of mpg should I be expecting realistically?
DAB retrofit possible?

Thanks
Ben
pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 11:00   #2
Buckshot61

The boot is smaller. The R-design suspension is pretty hard. If in good condition i think it´s a good choice.
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckshot61 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 14:19   #3
GMcL
0's and 1's

Did it not have DAB ? I think the basic sound system has a 5" screen and no satnav, cars with satnav have a larger 7" screen and a few more functions built in.

A software update was available to allow map updates from USB. The updates for Sensus ended in 2020, the most recent maps will be four years out of date now. Use your phone and stream radio if DAB is not fitted.

Rear suspension bushes perish, have a good look around the suspension arms and shocks/springs for rust, boost control can go AWOL but you'd have noticed that very easily on the test drive, no boost. Check the rear discs and pads they tend to wear out faster than the front brakes.

Great, reliable five cylinder engine.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 16:20   #4
pyro
Volvo V70 2.5D

From what I could tell, no DAB. certainly no button saying DAB on it! But bluetooth, aux and I think USB.
5" screen iirc, no satnav.

From what I can tell on it's test history its had new rear arms 15k ago, fronts last year, new pads and discs all round last summer (5K)

The only thing I can find no record of - on the potentially large expense side is the DMF, do they fail or get noisy on these?

Thanks!

Ben
pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 17:31   #5
Broadbandylegs

Mine's a 2013 R Design D4. Had it for over 7 years and virtually nothing's gone wrong. Door locks were sorted under warranty - there was a bit of an issue with them in cold weather.

I've had to replace an ABS sensor, a bonnet latch & 1 ebrake motor - easy fix. Regular oil/filter changes + disks/pads/tyres and it's been completely reliable.

I will be refreshing front suspension this year due to an advisory at last year's MOT.

Nice to drive long distances in - so comfortable!

I keep thinking of changing for an XC70 but this one's been so good...
Broadbandylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Broadbandylegs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 17:55   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro View Post
From what I could tell, no DAB. certainly no button saying DAB on it! But bluetooth, aux and I think USB.
5" screen iirc, no satnav.

From what I can tell on it's test history its had new rear arms 15k ago, fronts last year, new pads and discs all round last summer (5K)

The only thing I can find no record of - on the potentially large expense side is the DMF, do they fail or get noisy on these?

Thanks!

Ben
There's no DAB button as such, press and hold the Radio button to see what it's available, mine lists:
AM
FM1
FM2
DAB1
DAB2

My car is 2011, still on the original clutch and DMF. The two 5 cylinder diesels I've had have not had any clutch or DMF issues.

I'll be overhauling the rear suspension on mine this year, the shock bodies have corrosion around the base, the springs will be replaced at the same time.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 14:47   #7
Wobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot61 View Post
The boot is smaller. The R-design suspension is pretty hard. If in good condition i think it´s a good choice.
Agreed the boot is way smaller. Love my '61 reg V60 D5 SE LUX, had it for 7 years now but often wishing I'd gone for a V70 for the boot <sigh>
Wobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 09:06   #8
Duncan Doenitz

I had a 2012 D3 auto which turned in 54mpg on the motorway. I could have seen closer to 60mpg if driving at 65mph. I changed to a 2015 D5 manual and with a heavy right foot, get 49mpg on a long run. I could probably get closer to 60mpg if I tried.
Duncan Doenitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duncan Doenitz For This Useful Post: