Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent service engine warning

Views : 2616

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 23:21   #1
KATANA MAN

Default Urgent service engine warning

Hello

First let me introduce myself. Names Rob and im a Volvo V70 owner.

its my first Volvo too!

Im an ex mechanic / motorcycle mechanic

I recently purchased a 2001 V70 140 back in August with 79000 miles on the clock ( its now got 81600) and all seamed fine with the new car until last wednesday when I went to Preston a round trip of 125 miles.

Everything was fine then the cruise control stopped working and seamed to have a bit of a missfire flatspot when excellerating. Then when I pulled off the motorway it almost stalled and struggled to pull awayfrom a junction.
It got me home but it didnt feel like it was running right to me. It appears to have a bit of a flat spot low down and takes longer to start than it did.

When I started the engine again later that evening the AC compressor was making a grinding noise and I had a warning on my dash saying ENGINE SERVICE URGENT with the RED TRIANGLE WARNING LIGHT on the dash. The car did not go onto safe mode.
My warranty has run out from the car dealer who I purchased it from and he said he wouldnt fix it.

I therefore bought a new AC compressor for £305 + vat and fitted it myself along with a new alternator belt. I still had the warning message up on the dash though.
I went and got my friend to plug in his diagnostic machine to see if he could reset the code thinking the AC compressor was the offending component. It went out and I thought all was well.
When I came to start the car again the message was back.

I have just been reading on here about the problems with the ETS or ETM on the early V70s and think I may have one of the effected ETMs. I went and had a look at it and low and behold it says Magnetti Marelli on it and it also has a white dot. So it looks like the original one!

I think this is one of the dodgy units?

My friend plugged the diagnostic machine in again and read the code off and it said something about the throttle sensor.

What are my options ?

and is there an easy fix?

It still drives, but is it safe to do so?

Are Volvo now replacing these ETMs FOC pt Nos 87814786

and can I get an upgrade download that will sort it FOC ? SMB 5-155

I HAVE BEEN DOING MY HOMEWORK!

Any help would be most apreciated!

KATANA MAN
KATANA MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 23:18   #2
KATANA MAN

update;
I have the following fault codes showing on my mates diagnostic machine. They are P2121, P2120 and P2138. I think they relate to the throttle position sensor. Does anyone know where I can buy one or can it be fixed or cleaned?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 23:31   #3
saturnuranus
VOC Member

P2120 and P2138 are Accelerator pedal position sensor faults. P2121 is indeed an ETM code. I'm not a Phase 2 V70 guru so can't help much more, sorry!
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:59   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

P2121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “D” Circuit
Range/Performance

P2120 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “D” Circuit

P2138 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch “D”/”E” Voltage
Correlation

I'm a bit puzzled why you replaced the AC compressor.

All these codes could relate to the throttle body (which contains the throttle positions sensors) or the throttle pedal module (which contains the pedal postion sensors).

I would suggest you have the Volvo codes read at a dealer to confirm which it is, budget for a throttle pedal or an ETM, have a look at the ETM forum.
I don't think there are any more free replacements.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 23:51   #5
KATANA MAN

hello.
I had to replace the AC pump because the bearings went in it or at least the clutch had vertually seized up and was making a right old grating noise. there was no other option!
Got my car booked into PV Dobsons , cumbria for a software upgrade and diagnostic check. I cleaned out my ETM today with TB cleaner and it made no difference. At least they wont have to charge me to do it again. took 10 minutes!

Watch this space.
Also ordered some conductive paint from the USA to try and repair the ETM if it is Knacke*d!
I will try owt before parting with cash to a garage!

Katana man
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 08:01   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I don't think you will repair the ETM with conductive paint, the resistance of the tracks has to be linear over the length, conductive paint will introduce short circuits.

What you may be able to do is move the position of the wiper contacts along the shaft so that it wipes on an unworn portion of the track.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 13:24   #7
KATANA MAN

Hello Chris.
Have you actually done this mod / fix on an ETM or are you sermising that this may work.

I am sure there are a load of people desperately searching for a fix for their cars without lining the pockets of VOLVO UK.

I know I am!

They are quite happy to take our money without there being a permenant fix, because as you know they can only replace a part with another one which Will fail again in the future and try and fool the car into thinking there is not a problem when there is one! Im one of these people who will only take my car to the garage after all other avenues have been exhausted.I am a time served mechanic ( not been in the trade for a long time though) and do all my own repairs and servicing.

So why cant the later Bosch ETM be fitted to the earlier cars with and adapted wiring harness and system up grade? has anyone tried this?

What are the physical differences between the Bosch and Magnetti Marelli ETMs?

Is it wiring ?

Is it a software incompatibility?

Is it the mounting holes and maniforld that are different?

Someone must know!

Has anyone done it?

Sorry to witter on and on! Just dont like wasting my money on sh*te!

thanks again for your help!

Katana man
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 16:32   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

"Have you actually done this mod / fix on an ETM or are you sermising that this may work."

Not in this application but it's known method of reviving worn potentiometers, and has some chance of success. Using conductive paint definately won't.

"What are the physical differences between the Bosch and Magnetti Marelli ETMs?"

The Bosch unit is 'dumb' it is only a motor and dual feedback potentiometers.

The Magnetti Marelli contains part of the engine management electonics as well as a motor and dual feedback potentiometers.

There is no easy way to convert from the Magnetti Marelli to the Bosch unit.
To do so would require a new engine management ECU and new software for the whole car.

Volvo have not, to my knowledge, produced such a conversion package.

"Sorry to witter on and on! Just dont like wasting my money on sh*te!"

I hear what you say but is it really that bad that a 7 year old car needs a £400ish part to fix it, that's likely to be good for another 70,000 miles.

It's no worse than the clutch needing to be replaced.

If you had the diesel you may be looking at £1500 for new injectors for a similar aged car.

Other brands have similar or worse issues.

Last edited by Chris_Rogers; Nov 21st, 2008 at 16:45.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 18:01   #9
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

Ditto that, I know BMW have problems with there diesel inlet manifolds cos they are made from plastic and can break at a cost of min £700+ to replace or £8-10K for a new engine!!!!