Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering vagueness and wandering

Views : 21590

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 00:12   #71
Andy
Master Member

Default How to fit Powerflex bushes.

I'm running F1's, 235/45 R18 on my 103K V70 D5.

1500 miles ago (20 days ago!!) I fitted Powerflex front bushes and new front shockers (Bilstein F4-VE3-5221 B6's).

The car is totally different, it runs straight and true and is totally confidence inspiring.

Before I would have to make micro adjustments to the steering wheel just to go in straight line, driving down narrow roads with parked cars was a nightmare and I actually took detours to avoid a certain road!

I did a 'how to' here: LINKY

Just watch the off side drive shaft- it likes to come apart!! Gggrrrrrr
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:26   #72
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Thanks for taking the time to produce the wishbone bush replacing guide.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 19:26   #73
bricklayer1807

An update for my post... Today I finally got the replacement front wishbone powerflex bushes fitted, and the difference is totally incredible, difficult to believe such a small thing can make such a big difference, for the first time in two years it actually feels as if the front road wheels are directly connected to the steering wheel, it drives like a normal car and I'm not being pulled into every rut and groove that comes along.
bricklayer1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 19:29   #74
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Pleased tp here about the difference. Another job for me to do in the future. Everyone seems to recommend the powerflex pushes.
Thanks
Jim
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 18:12   #75
martin hill

I bought a 52 V70 D5 with 90K miles on the clock. It drove beautifully - steering great. Then I clipped a kerb and the steering went vague as described in this forum. I got the tracking done several times, changed the tyres and even replaced a rim (£360!) with no fix the the problem. Main dealer does not want to know. I am sure that wishbone bushes or fixings are flexing under torque or bent or something. Not sure what to do.. will try to get bushes replaced. Any more ideas?

Addition to message. Will try the Powerflex Bushes and let you know.

Last edited by martin hill; Feb 2nd, 2008 at 18:14.
martin hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 19:29   #76
martin hill

[/QUOTE]
My V70 with 104,000 miles behaved exactly as described above.
OK, Tried the Powerflex bushes and they were a nightmare to fit. My Mechanic only got one on before giving up for the day - so I went back to Volvo and got the police upgrade bushes. These are now on the car and have all but cured the problem. Better tyres and I reckon the problem is fully fixed! I am much happier now that I have genuine Volvo parts and not an unknown non-volvo part which may not behave as it should over time. Better for insurance purposes too I bet! The part you need is Volvo - 9465971 (police spec)
martin hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 13:25   #77
nouze

Very interesting thread indeed. I drive a 08 plate S60 D5 SE Sport which has 13k on the clock and it suffers from ridiculous wandering. How could Volvo release a car which is dangerous to drive?! I was looking forward to a visit to Germany later this year but after almost hitting the barrier on M11 yesterday I will not dare to do anything above 70mph!
The main issue is, I am not sure whether it's tires or bushes. I have Pirellis 6000 on 18" eudoras but I also have a 4C suspension. Does this mean I will have to go through even bigger hell to get my car set up properly?

I am somewhat worried to go on motorways and at the same time this car is utterly useless as a city car.
nouze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 19:50   #78
D5meister
Premier Member

Default vague to new

Hi all Ive had the old vague steering chestnut too. The wishbone bushes... the front one would have had a gel core and this is shed often very early so you have a floppy bag for the front bush.. The rear round bush is solid, really hard and cracks in a crescent shape on the top and underneath.

This leaves the wishbone able to flex laterally for and aft so the road wheel one moment is pointing left the next it pointing right .... Vague .. steering.

Tyre wear will not get tracked out, can wear both edges, if driven aggressive plus hard engine breaking.

I fitted powerflex to front and scantech quality to rear, I got them pressed in and out at volvo main dealer who have really big press 15tons is not uncommon.

Fiddly to reassemble - need to pull the two hub mounting bolts to ease wishbone assy to the ball joint.

Mine feel like new again and has no understeer and I can feel different tarmac grades in my hands now.

I just measured my front Toe out and each front wheel is toe-out by 0.42degrees each side Total Toe out then is 0.84 degrees.

Good luck all.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 13:37   #79
neal1

Default 2004 S60 D5 Heavy Steering

Firstly, I hope I am posting this in the right place.
I am a Forum virgin and dont know where to start really, so sorry guys.
I have recently purchased a 2004 S60 D5 (131K miles).
My steering feel so heavy it's liek I don't have power steering.
I have checked the obvious thing like the fluid and all seems to be ok.
The overall handling of the car doesnt seem like what a Volvo should be and I have to 'struggle' sometimes to keep it in a straight line.
The garage I bought the car from doesnt really want to know so I may have to go down the trading standards route, but with 3 kids and and a round trip of 100miles to work per day I just want the steering sorted before I laydown the law with the garage.
Could any of you please advise what the problem may be?
Many Thanks in advance
neal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 00:53   #80
Volvo444

My mate did the same when changing the wishbones, had to buy a second hand drive shaft. But the car now has another problem which is more noticeable when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd the car wants to pull to right. Somebody said the lsd in the gearbox had gone, which makes the car pull to the right. Had the tracking checked and the car brakes in a straight line.
Volvo444 is offline   Reply With Quote