Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High mileage tow cars

Views : 2413

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2018, 17:42   #1
MikeS100
Premier Member

Smile High mileage tow cars

Hi all,

Just interested to know if anyone has a high mileage car they still use for towing? My 1999 V70 tdi is on 196k miles now and although it doesn't miss a beat around town I'm worried it may be past it for towing. Last time we went away with our caravan was summer 2016, it was ok with the caravan on the back but it blew a turbo hose around 60 miles from home. It did still get us home with reduced power and lots of black smoke though! It was probably on 180k then.

We would like to go up to Yorkshire in the summer which is 249 miles each way. Doesn't sound a lot on its own but I'm worried that might be too much for it towing the caravan. I'm not sure whether to call it a day and try to get something newer (£4k-£5k budget). If I did get something newer my C70 would become a weekend car and I would use the V70 for work while the Mrs had the newer car.

It's got an additional gearbox oil cooler fitted but standard apart from that. I've spent quite a bit on it over the last few years. Had new cam belt and water pump etc last October, reconditioned steering rack probably 3 years ago, both front wheel bearings replaced, brakes all round and other basics.

So what are your thoughts on using it and what mileage cars have you towed with? Is it worth me doing an overhaul on hoses/pipes/suspension/gearbox oil change etc to keep it going?

Thanks,

Mike
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 17:50   #2
steadvex
Master Member

we got quite a few customers with excess of 200k used for towing, one has an xc90 with 250k and tow's to France quite frequently and that's a euro 3 one so got a few years on it too!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 17:58   #3
MikeS100
Premier Member

That's interesting, may be life in the old girl yet then!
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 21:22   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I think all our tow cars have well over 200,000 miles on them
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 21:36   #5
MikeS100
Premier Member

Maybe I am worrying over nothing then
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 22:11   #6
steadvex
Master Member

Just be prepared for any possible breakdowns with some decent cover, not saying it will/wont happen but even on a new car i will always recommend a safety net !
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 22:19   #7
MikeS100
Premier Member

Yes, I've got full cover. Did have to use it last year when the water pump went and it dumped it's coolant all over the road but that's the only time it's ever needed to be recovered. One of those things you have to have though, we were down on the coast and I don't know how I would have got it home without breakdown cover.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 21:02   #8
dped

Turbo pipe at the back of the engine on the P2 did have problems as they tended to go soft due to heat from exhaust over time. They sucks in on it's self cutting air as the turbo want's too suck more air as you use more power and you get a message on dash saying "engine maintenance required" and car goes into limp mode. If you replaced that last year you should be fine just give it a good service before you go
dped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 21:52   #9
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks. It wasn't that pipe that went, it was the top intercooler one that burst, but I have heard about that pipe collapsing in on itself. I did wonder about replacing it anyway just to be sure. It felt ok when I checked it but I think it was about £80 from Volvo when I enquired so might be a good preventative measure. Mines classed as a P1 (I think?), but I believe it is a weak point on both.

Is that the only weak point in your opinion?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:45   #10
dped

Not sure on P1 as not got any experience with one. But only problems that seem common on the P2 were the Auto box's been a weak point. If manual the DMF at can give up on a Volvo as they do on most cars with high mileage but at the end of the day the DMF is a serviceable part like the clutch . But if any car can cope with high mileage it's a Volvo but one day even they let go eventually. So enjoy it till it does because like my old P2 did not owe me a penny when I swapped it at 176k and I loved every minute behind the wheel.
dped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dped For This Useful Post: