Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel Nut sending me NUTS!!

Views : 4019

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 21:27   #21
Trem

I see the main problem in this is the rotating shield around the nut, if that wasn't there then all the tried and tested methods would work.

So tomorrow I am going to attempt to get the shield off, drilling or chiselling will be my approach, if drilling I must remember to oil the area to keep the bit cool.
Trem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 20:58   #22
toolbah
Master Member

Angry

Im going to try and weld a nut onto the offending lock nut so my question now is, apart from the battery is there anything else I should remove or isolate before welding??
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 21:33   #23
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Just take the neg terminal off the battery, it should be fine

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 22:35   #24
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trem View Post
I see the main problem in this is the rotating shield around the nut, if that wasn't there then all the tried and tested methods would work.

So tomorrow I am going to attempt to get the shield off, drilling or chiselling will be my approach, if drilling I must remember to oil the area to keep the bit cool.
Tungsten Carbide three sizes one pilot, second larger, really a pilot for the big one, third the size of the stud od (slightly bigger), by stud I mean the threaded section of the bolt that goes into the hub. I tried chiselling and only succeeded in slipping and damaging the wheel. The face of the bolt is the hardest metal I have ever had to drill, even cobalt wouldnt touch it. Untill you drill most of the head off clouting it will get you no where.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselDoNicely For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 23:17   #25
toolbah
Master Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDoNicely View Post
Tungsten Carbide three sizes one pilot, second larger, really a pilot for the big one, third the size of the stud od (slightly bigger), by stud I mean the threaded section of the bolt that goes into the hub. I tried chiselling and only succeeded in slipping and damaging the wheel. The face of the bolt is the hardest metal I have ever had to drill, even cobalt wouldnt touch it. Untill you drill most of the head off clouting it will get you no where.

DDN
Have you managed to remove the bolt??
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 08:17   #26
Trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDoNicely View Post

DDN
Are tungsten carbide bits not for masonary/ceramics etc only?

But yeah I broke 2 cobalt bits yesterday, didn't even mark the bolt after 10 minutes of drilling in the same spot.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:29   #27
pdr944

Quote:
Are tungsten carbide bits not for masonary/ceramics etc only?

But yeah I broke 2 cobalt bits yesterday, didn't even mark the bolt after 10 minutes of drilling in the same spot.
yo,

there is no chance of drilling them out.do as i did and get a bolt welded on to the end of the locking nut.when you get them out put ordinary bolt back in.locking nuts aint worth the trouble.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pdr944 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:29   #28
jtaw45

The first thing i do when i get an new car is take the locking nuts off and bin em, they're nothing but hassle. When was the last time you heared of anyone getting there wheels stolen?
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 13:21   #29
Trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdr944 View Post
yo,

there is no chance of drilling them out.do as i did and get a bolt welded on to the end of the locking nut.when you get them out put ordinary bolt back in.locking nuts aint worth the trouble.
peter.
I'm worried about doing that because of causing wheel damage from the heat of the welding, did it not cause any problem for you?
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:57   #30
pdr944

Quote:
I'm worried about doing that because of causing wheel damage from the heat of the welding, did it not cause any problem for you?
no there was no heat damage to the alloys just a sooty deposit which cleans off no prob.dont forget no flame is used for arc welding and its almost an instant job.also the guy who did the job was a first class welder and knew exactly what he was doing.dont let some cowboy do it.if this is done properly i,m sure you will get them out.that design of locknut is one of the worst i,ve ever seen and like someone has already said people dont pinch alloys anymore they take your car.this may sound like a harsh method but it works.

go for it.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote