Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M66 drain plug thread size and pitch

Views : 3434

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 21:38   #21
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
Hello!

I went down to Volvo and I've finally got it from the horse' mouth: My 2014 M66 does not have a fill plug! Apparently you refill the correct amount back in via the reversing light switch...

What's odd is that their VIDA, when input with my registration number, should this in the instructions, where my VIDA, when plugged in to the car, shows a proper fill plug. Very odd, but there must have been an update at some point.

Thanks
Thanks for letting us know. Interesting but at least we have learned no fill plug remove the reversing light switch and use that.
Did they tell you what the correct amount is? My handbook says 1.9 litres but it lies, it actually takes 2.2 litres to fill to the bottom of my fill plug. That's with the car jacked and leveled with a spirit level across the slam panel.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 22:01   #22
morsing
Premier Member

Hi,

The instructions they have says 1.9l

Thanks
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:08   #23
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi,

The instructions they have says 1.9l

Thanks
That was my point, my instructions said 1.9l but the fact was that even the whole 2l did not fill the box to the full level that took a further.2l.
I ensured the car was level side to side with a spirit level across the slam panel as my drive has a side slope
It sticks in my mind as I had to buy a 3rd litre of oil. I used the standard method of fill untill it runs out of the filling orifice then let it stand untill it stops dripping before refitting the plug. Because of the discrepancy I measured what was in the waste container, 2.2l

Near 20k miles since I changed the oil and no evidence of leak so not overfilled to a harmful extent.

I would measure the amount that came out and replace with the same.

Paul.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:48   #24
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

I would measure the amount that came out and replace with the same.

Paul.
That's what the mechanic said as well, I just need to find something clean enough I can measure it in...
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 13:52   #25
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
That's what the mechanic said as well, I just need to find something clean enough I can measure it in...
I baught a 1 litre plastic measuring jug supermarket, 50p or something like. Any empty container can be used as a catch tank, pour from catch tank into measure and from there to empty jack for disposal. I keep windscreen wash containers for this purpose.

Paul.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 19:18   #26
TheLopez

Morsing. You still around these forums ?

Tried messaging but i'm not allowed, so here it goes

I went to change the trans fluid today and found out i have the plugless M66 box like you. I remembered reading this post, so knew what to do. (Thanks !)

Anyway, what i'm coming to, is that 3+ litres of fluid came out when i drained it, so wondering how much came out from yours, and how much you put back in?

Manual says 1.45L for my engine and 1.9L for later engines, so that confuses me even more as none is close to 3 litres... Ha, ha
TheLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 17:44   #27
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLopez View Post
Morsing. You still around these forums ?

Tried messaging but i'm not allowed, so here it goes

I went to change the trans fluid today and found out i have the plugless M66 box like you. I remembered reading this post, so knew what to do. (Thanks !)

Anyway, what i'm coming to, is that 3+ litres of fluid came out when i drained it, so wondering how much came out from yours, and how much you put back in?

Manual says 1.45L for my engine and 1.9L for later engines, so that confuses me even more as none is close to 3 litres... Ha, ha
Been around for 20+ years

I can't actually remember now, but pretty sure it wasn't three litres!
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 22:10   #28
TheLopez

Quote:
Been around for 20+ years
Ha, ha. That's awesome

Quote:
I can't actually remember now, but pretty sure it wasn't three litres!
Yeah thought so

Guessing someone thought the car was an auto and filled what they always fill... The scary part is that this car has a full Volvo service history, so someone at Volvo messed up big time, which from my experience of the one time i took my previous car to them i'm not surprised.

I filled it with the handbook's 1.45 litres and so far so good. Will be driving with the windows open for the next weeks straining to hear any little sounds coming from the box i think.

Thanks
TheLopez is offline   Reply With Quote