Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new Version of Polestar?

Views : 3504

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2018, 00:47   #41
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I actually think engines in the 80's and 90's did pretty well if ran correctly, and serviced, better than many of today for me
All New:-
Nissan Sunny GTE 230k miles from new to sell, no engine issues at all,
many a Renault 5 turbos, last one 100k in 2 years not one issue in that car except clutch cables. saw that car 5 years later with 60k on the clock Owner still said it drove like new
Peugeot 205 1.8D Van went like a rocket, up to 70 MPG 120k Miles before selling it.
Even my Triumph 2.5 PI when I was 17 I did in it 50k miles before getting rid of it and that was an old car when I got it, and that was abused.
The List is endless tbh MK3 Cortina's, Renault 21's D and Petrol all did high milage no issues with engines or a lot else for that matter.

List is endless but one thing in common, all very high milage was done over a short period of time long distant journeys, I was driving at peak 75k miles a year

Cars recent:-
New S3 new engine after 10k
New AMG GLA new gearbox required after 3 months
New RX8 New engine rebuild required after 50k miles

Have had a coupe of Vito vans, 120D and Sport V6 3.0 (still have this) 120D got to 130k no issues still got it but sorted as it is a pile of rust, V6 Vito 9yr old now is in excellent condition pretty much with 110k no engine issues, Glow plugs a problem not that it needs all of them, but mechanically engine and gearbox it is spot on, and this is a van that is serially fast as remapped, even with a ton in it gets over 30 to a gallon, often see 35 mpg
80’s and 90’s engines were much improved. They had to be, because Japanese cars had already shown how dire British and some European engineering was.

High milage vehicles, like taxis that never really have many cold starts, typically last for two or three times the miles of your typical family car. Even family cars today last at least 150,000 miles on average. Taxis and courier use may extend that to 350,000 miles easily. Back in the early 2000’s I knew a rep who ran Audi Allroad diesel and covered around 85,000 miles a year around the UK and Ireland. He changed his oil every 20,000 miles and the car every 250,000 and never had an engine issue. Automatic gearboxes would start showing wear at around 200,000 but he never changed the oil in those.

Even these days you get the occasional dodgy engine design or individual engine of course. Emission controls have also added complexity and the potential for iritating faults and the need to change expensive parts that have a long, but finite life, like particulate filters. Certainly the cost of running current vehicles long term will be far higher than engines from around ten years ago, because when say an injector fails, not only will the new injector cost maybe three times the cost of a mechanical one, but it might also take the DPF out with it and possibly even a piston. But we should not worry about such things, because they may never happen.