Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine swap from S40 T4 to V70

Views : 1680

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2018, 17:08   #11
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Why do you want to do that? If your V70 engine is broken, then it would probably be much easier and cheaper to find a used V70 engine.

Steve
I'll rewrite that for you Steve, what you were thinking rather than what you wrote, you really meant to say...

Why do you want to do that? If your V70 engine is broken, then it would probably be much easier and cheaper to find a new V70.

Steve

We do love these f**kwit questions really. Sometimes you might wonder how they can remember to breathe

Don't ever mind me. All part of the service.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 24th, 2018 at 17:20.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 04:47   #12
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm View Post

How would you go about doing that. Low pressure water hose? In the cooling system?
Undo the radiator hoses at the connection to the radiator of the, put a garden hose connected to a tap into the lower hose and stuff tightly it round with rags, turning the tap on "back flushes" the system - the water will flush everything around the system and bypass the thermostat via its bleed and also via the heater matrix.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 09:35   #13
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Undo the radiator hoses at the connection to the radiator of the, put a garden hose connected to a tap into the lower hose and stuff tightly round with rags, turning the tap on "back flushes" the system - the water will flush everything around the system and bypass the thermostat via its bleed and also via the heater matrix.
NB addition to post above. Leave the heater turned on to maximum heat. when flushing.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 10:10   #14
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
NB addition to post above. Leave the heater turned on to maximum heat. when flushing.
Sorry, don't want to sound like a smart-ass here, but actually, on these vehicles the heat control operates air flaps to vary the amount of heat entering the cabin, it doesn't operate a valve in the coolant flow, so it makes no difference where the heater control is, this is irrelevant.

Some older cars have a valve in the coolant flow, but on these it's irrelevant.

Cheers!
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 13:49   #15
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Sorry, don't want to sound like a smart-ass here, but actually, on these vehicles the heat control operates air flaps to vary the amount of heat entering the cabin, it doesn't operate a valve in the coolant flow, so it makes no difference where the heater control is, this is irrelevant.

Some older cars have a valve in the coolant flow, but on these it's irrelevant.

Cheers!
Good point....

The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 18:10   #16
dtm

Hello,

I drained the oil and water, and did not find any signs of oil in water or water in oil, the oil came out just oil and the water came out just water. There was no coolant in the system, just water.

I added oil into spark plug holes and the engine turned just fine. All ignition coil boots where damaged, all plugs where loose, and the turbo looked like it was loosing oil from drain or something.

Will know more once I remove the exhaust manifolds and turbo. That should happen some time next week.

The engine that lives in the V70 is a B5204T4. Anything I can do to make more like the B5204T3?

The compression rate is 1.1 higher then in the B5204T3. I know the head gasket is the same, so how did they decrease the compression in the B5204T3?

Chears,

Daniel Mota
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote