Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My car value?

Views : 581

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2018, 17:43   #1
volvo always
Premier Member

Default My car value?

I'm selling my 1989 240 GLT auto estate and have put a price of £395 for it.

Looked on ebay and this one isn't perfect, but not holed with a much longer MOT and already at £1000. with 5 days to go.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...IAAOSwWuNbayOw

What would you say is a fair price for mine?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...66#post2436866

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 20:16   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Its always very difficult to value a car, especially one that isn't too rare. My friend bought a manual 240 estate last year for about £800 with a fresh Mot: I know as he asked me to drive it back for him. Only vice - slight front-wheel wobble at about 50 (balancing needed).
However due several reasons he never used it - currently in his barn-full of classics so now SORNd. A few months ago he decided to sell it, and thinking it had increased in value due no use (!) doubled its valuation - not one taker so still storing it as we speak.
I sold a 240GLT project with some sill rust for under £500 recently, but only because the buyer pestered me! Otherwise it would still be stored, waiting for me to get it fixed
BUT
he approached me.... Its all about finding a prospective buyer. Nobody knows who will look at the likes of ebay and when - it is a game of luck. However, if in very good condition it can warrant putting on a classic car sales website, or even entering it in an auction so it gets seen by genuine classic-hunters, but for that to work it has to be very good, very rare or very competitively priced or nothing will happen again.
On ebay one sees good-looking 240s up for well over £5k but they have to be top-spec, ie GLT, manual gearbox and low-mileage. Personally I consider that a far more practical car than a 40+ years old 140 at the same sort of money (one been on ebay for ages)....but one has to want a 240, and there are lots advertised. In that case location comes into play: I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't get to see or collect easily due location. So you can see, a lot of luck comes into it too: it HAS to be more attractive than the rest to move quickly.
That's frankly why I haven't managed to sell my fully-restored P1800 at a realistic price yet: lots of people want cheap so they can personalise it's restoration. Therefore its still in my garage!
Nevertheless good luck with its sale.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 22:18   #3
volvo always
Premier Member

Thanks for your reply. I fully agree it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. It needs issues sorting out and auto puts some people off, a GLT.
Short MOT and rust puts people off, but it still drives well.
People want immaculate, low owner/ mileage and rust free. 240's and mine is a workhorse.

Need it gone by early September, may auction it on ebay with no reserve and let the auction/ buyers find the market price for it.

To be totally honest someone may view the work too much and buys it to break for parts. It would be sad, but enable others to live. I'll try an ebay auction and see how it goes.

Any other good free advertising sites for cars?

EDIT. listed it on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Volv...e/273405922217

James

Last edited by volvo always; Aug 13th, 2018 at 23:39.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 09:31   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My opinion.

That is a car like my own, needing a list of quite small things doing at the moment to arrest the risk of decay. e.g. yours has a couple of sill holes. Mine is about to have the welding done under the tailgate. &c. &c.

That heater fan will be a pig to sort from what I hear. And one hopes the water loss is not the gasket but if it is, then it can be done.

It sounds like a fundamentally good car to me.

Oh. And I quite like automatics. You only need one buyer. And if there might well be someone who wants or even needs and automatic.

Can you possibly find somewhere to keep the car and sell not quite so fast?

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 12:59   #5
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
My opinion.

That is a car like my own, needing a list of quite small things doing at the moment to arrest the risk of decay. e.g. yours has a couple of sill holes. Mine is about to have the welding done under the tailgate. &c. &c.

That heater fan will be a pig to sort from what I hear. And one hopes the water loss is not the gasket but if it is, then it can be done.

It sounds like a fundamentally good car to me.

Oh. And I quite like automatics. You only need one buyer. And if there might well be someone who wants or even needs and automatic.

Can you possibly find somewhere to keep the car and sell not quite so fast?

Good luck.
It is a fundamentally good car. Driven it for 10 years and around 18 months ago took us on holiday to County Kerry, Ireland with no issues and served me very well in my 10 years of ownership.

Unfortunately the Marina has issued car parking permits and as I have three cars have been asked me to get rid of one to make space for other moorers. They have asked for it to be gone by the 4th of September.
The 240 was my first Automatic and I have to say I like autos. My 940 is auto too. The heater fan needs a weekend of dash removal so a big time consuming job! It has never overheated or pressurised the cooling system and engine and gearbox work well. Its tidying and welding the holes on sill and heater fan and see where the very slow leak on heater pipe is. Found a little drip but couldn't see great as no torch.

Storage isn't an option for the car as it really needs to find a new home. If I had a house with drive I would keep it and do it up. Hope it finds a buyer on ebay.

James
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 19:38   #6
volvo always
Premier Member

New listing, as added interior pictures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273407401635

James.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 19:49   #7
volvo always
Premier Member

Had to relist to get new internal pictures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273407401635

James.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 21:39   #8
volvo always
Premier Member

Sold!

Buyer collecting Friday.

James
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: