Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new Version of Polestar?

Views : 3505

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2018, 22:18   #21
MaDProFF
Master Member

There may be the odd second or so that the back is pushing harder at the back, 0-1200 RPM but people would not complain of so much torque steer if the front was not dragging the back
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 13:59   #22
steladamo

I am just wondering why they don't mention that this rear wheel bias can be achieved by using dynamic mode and ESC Sport in all AWD models?

Last time I tried it the car did go sideways in a smooth way and it was fun to drive. Why spend a large amount of money for Polestar who now, that due to new emission standards, can no longer offer significantly increased horse power and torque, they decided to emphasize on the driving dynamics, just to justify the ridiculously expensive software optimisation of theirs.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 15:32   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steladamo View Post
I am just wondering why they don't mention that this rear wheel bias can be achieved by using dynamic mode and ESC Sport in all AWD models?

Last time I tried it the car did go sideways in a smooth way and it was fun to drive. Why spend a large amount of money for Polestar who now, that due to new emission standards, can no longer offer significantly increased horse power and torque, they decided to emphasize on the driving dynamics, just to justify the ridiculously expensive software optimisation of theirs.
ALL models don't have this feature

"The AWD optimisation is engaged simply by selecting the Dynamic drive mode, or when Electronic Stability Control is disengaged."
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:26   #24
don kalmar union
Trader

Default GKN Driveline.

An interesting article here on pistonheads:

https://www.pistonheads.com/features...workshop/33790

GKN driveline are, as you will read, suppliers to both Volvo of their rear electric drive and to Ford for their rear drive in their current Focus RS.

GKN DRiveline bought part of the old Volvo transmission plant in Skovde sold off under Ford ownership.......

Interesting that GKN Driveline took the trouble to mask out the Volvo logos on their XC 90 test car. Interesting also to consider whether Volvo might offer any of their cars with that 'twinster' set up that would truly make them handle like the RS..... in the geely age Volvo try to garner kudos for themselves and their shabby P* sub brand by annexing all the talent and innovation of their suppliers into a poorly resolved whole.

Problem is, as with their turnkey purchase of the whole, unresolved VEA engine project and their paying off so many of their own engineers they get into trouble when stuff hits the market and does not perform as intended.......

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Aug 21st, 2018 at 08:46.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:15   #25
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

GKN driveline are, as you will read, suppliers to both Volvo of their rear electric drive and to Ford for their rear drive in their current Focus RS.

GKN DRiveline bought part of the old Volvo transmission plant in Skovde sold off under Ford ownership.......

Interesting that GKN Driveline took the trouble to mask out the Volvo logos on their XC 90 test car. Interesting also to consider whether Volvo might offer any of their cars with that 'twinster' set up that would truly make them handle like the RS..... in the geely age Volvo try to garner kudos for themselves and their shabby P* sub brand by annexing all the talent and innovation of their suppliers into a poorly resolved whole.

Problem is, as with their turnkey purchase of the whole, unresolved VEA engine project and their paying off so many of their own engineers they get into trouble when stuff hits the market and does not perform as intended.......

Don.
So I take it that you aren't convinced by the whole VEA project? To me, given that Geely has rather expansive coffers , it seems more like a fiscal rationalisation exercise .I know that in Europe, where the VEA T6 is available even in the XC60, some truly horrific fuel consumption figures are being reported. Reliability is also questionable! Call me cynical but I feel that having a 'one size fits all ' approach to engine building is not the way forward.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:53   #26
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

Don.
It is my undertstanding that Haldex/BorgWarner supply 4wd systems to Volvo on all non-electric or hybrid cars. GKN supply to JLR for the Evoque, Discovery Sport and Jaguar E-Pace.

The GKN system only has a differential in the front transaxle. No diff between front and back axles and no diff between left and right rear wheels. Only clutch packs.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 13:02   #27
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
So I take it that you aren't convinced by the whole VEA project? To me, given that Geely has rather expansive coffers , it seems more like a fiscal rationalisation exercise .I know that in Europe, where the VEA T6 is available even in the XC60, some truly horrific fuel consumption figures are being reported. Reliability is also questionable! Call me cynical but I feel that having a 'one size fits all ' approach to engine building is not the way forward.
The T6 four cylinder engine has nearly 320hp and 300 lb.-ft torque. If that power is utilised it requires fuel to produce it, irrespective of the number of cylinders etc. Where the Volvo engine scores is in weight, packaging and pumping/friction losses compared with a larger swept volume engine. Driven gently I would expect significant economy gains. Driven hard I would expect its consumption to be proportional to the power and performance it produces. It has the potential to drink heavily with that power output.

Same goes with the diesel. Driven gently I get 47mpg from my diesel XC90 even in unfavourable road conditions. 43 is quite normal and more often than not my average for long periods. Driven hard though, exploiting its power and torque, consumption can easily increase to sub 30mpg.
It is my choice as to how to drive it, traffic permitting. In normal traffic-limited conditions I do get between 43 and 47mpg but I never complain when hammering on with a 2.2 ton sub-seven second 0-62mpg behemoth averaging only 30mpg, which is what I normally got, if that, years ago from a Fiesta 1.3S

Last edited by Quacker; Aug 21st, 2018 at 13:10.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 03:43   #28
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
The T6 four cylinder engine has nearly 320hp and 300 lb.-ft torque. If that power is utilised it requires fuel to produce it, irrespective of the number of cylinders etc. Where the Volvo engine scores is in weight, packaging and pumping/friction losses compared with a larger swept volume engine. Driven gently I would expect significant economy gains. Driven hard I would expect its consumption to be proportional to the power and performance it produces. It has the potential to drink heavily with that power output.

Same goes with the diesel. Driven gently I get 47mpg from my diesel XC90 even in unfavourable road conditions. 43 is quite normal and more often than not my average for long periods. Driven hard though, exploiting its power and torque, consumption can easily increase to sub 30mpg.
It is my choice as to how to drive it, traffic permitting. In normal traffic-limited conditions I do get between 43 and 47mpg but I never complain when hammering on with a 2.2 ton sub-seven second 0-62mpg behemoth averaging only 30mpg, which is what I normally got, if that, years ago from a Fiesta 1.3S
Couldn't agree more. My Golf GTi can give me 40+ if I toodle up the motorway at 70ish. Give it some serious wellie around the back roads and I can get sub 20. But a smile
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 15:04   #29
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post

The problem lies in the fact that to produce that kind of power from a 'small' engine takes a lot of boost meaning that you cannot run a stoichiometric a/f mixture whilst being 'on it'. So your efficiency is greatly reduced because you cannot extract all the power from the a/f mixture as you are essentially using part of it for cooling. So whilst you may suffer less frictional losses than a 6 or 8 cylinder engine you will require more fuel to extract the same power. My straight six diesel is giving me neigh on identical fuel consumption figures to your 2.0 albeit with a notable increase in power and torque.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.

Last edited by m2srt; Aug 22nd, 2018 at 15:10.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 23:47   #30
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
,,,I know that in Europe, where the VEA T6 is available even in the XC60, some truly horrific fuel consumption figures are being reported...
Does anyone know why the T6 isn't available in the UK?
macklij is offline   Reply With Quote