Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dpf issue again

Views : 1532

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 18:11   #11
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattievrs View Post
Yeah, the 2 pipes that come from the dpf at the front and back are going to the same sensor. I’ve read on here that someone had similar issues and swapped out the sensor and made sure the pipes were clear using a guitar string! The other sensor is plugged into a connector for temp readings and isn’t throwing a code. I think I’ll get a sensor and see what happens.

Thanks for the help
Try very heavy guage fishing line, or line off a garden strimmer if you have one.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 18:50   #12
mattievrs
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Try very heavy guage fishing line, or line off a garden strimmer if you have one.
I’ve got some fairly heavy gauge fishing line actually, good call!

Just been out in the car and I’m convinced it’s stuck in regen mode. It’s really jerky and seems to be putting out blackish smoke from the exhaust all the time. Mpg is down considerably too, as well as it smelling really sooty from the exhaust. Read the codes again and it’s throwing the trap blocked again and the pressure sensor signal fault. I’ve ordered a sensor so will swap it out after cleaning the pipe work and then force a regen again and see what happens.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 22:39   #13
Whippy
Premier Member

If that doesn't work you're probably in for a recon dpf. Let us know how you get on.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 23:38   #14
mattievrs
Master Member

Sensor is here but won’t have time now till Sunday to fit it and get it back on Vida.

Thought I might get some more info if I can regarding recon dpf etc.

What do people recommend? Stick with new Volvo, or recon volvo or a good quality non volvo part? Anyone ever fitted one? Easy on ramps or a pain in the ar5e?
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 11:21   #15
mattievrs
Master Member

Replaced the sensor today and did another regen. Now not throwing the trap blocked fault or faulty pressure signal...... I’m still not convinced it’ll stay sorted but will see over the next week or so........
The Following User Says Thank You to mattievrs For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 18:13   #16
mattievrs
Master Member

Update time,

So it started playing up again so had the car on axle stands and ramps over the weekend. Had a good poke around and found a few issues! Both rubber pipes were perished and looked split so I’ve replaced them and also found the eolys tank was low so topped that up to. Cleared codes and had a drive and still stuttering so I had the dpf off which is 100% blocked, cant see a thing through it at all! Local garage had a look at it and said get a new one, which I’ve gone and got a new unit and fitted it. Cleared all codes and driven it and feels like it’s going better than it has for a long time, so hopefully finally sorted it.

Do I need to tell the car that there is a new dpf installed using Vida?
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 18:24   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Nice, finally sorted (we hope) tbh all things pointed to blocked dpf but as its the most expensive bit ya've gotta leave that till last! 👍
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:25   #18
mattievrs
Master Member

So......... playing up AGAIN.

Had new dpf, Eolys refilled, new pressure sensor, new pipes and rubber hoses. Been regened using Vida and had the counter in the ecm reset for the new dpf and the tank level reset. After 500 miles it’s showing dpf trap blocked again. Once warm it starts to jerk on throttle and eventually goes into limp mode.Think it’s time to move on from volvos....
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 13:05   #19
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Its not necessarily a volvo thing!
However it would seem to be the ecu as that is the only thing remaining...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 16:19   #20
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
Eolys refilled,
Did you reset the eolys counter using Vida Dice to let the car know it has been refilled?
Edit
Just reread and you have

Quote:
I had the dpf off which is 100% blocked, cant see a thing through it at all!
You won't normally be able to see through it as it is a honeycomb structure inside. So a visual can't identify a blockage normally

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Aug 21st, 2018 at 16:24.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote