Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My lpg installation on my 940 saloon

Views : 577

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 17:39   #1
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile My lpg installation on my 940 saloon

Firstly before I start on about my 20 month long LPG installation I want to thank two people, firstly my long suffering wife who has been confined to bed with terminal cancer for almost the last three years, that is why it has taken me so long to do it, at 75 and being her full time carer I've not had a lot of time to spend on it, just the odd hour or so now and then,
Plus needless to say there has been setbacks and mistakes made along the way,
Secondly I want to thank Dave Houston (Laird Scooby) who has been a invaluable source of help, freely giving his advice, Dave also repaired and altered the wiring harness for me, and made the aluminium adaptors for the injectors that you will see in the following photo's, I would not have done this without his help, (well maybe) Thank you Dave:
My installation consists of a used but almost new 70ltr Stako cylinder tank installed behind the rear seats, Now some will say how will I get at the in tank fuel pump, if needed, the Lpg tank is on brackets to its frame which can be easily undone to lift the tank out, the brackets are bolted through the wheel tubs with 50mm square washers behind the nuts to spread load bearing, I had to sit the car on level ground to set the tank at 30 degrees then finally secured it down with the straps.
I have fitted a new Tomasetto multivalve to the tank,
The reducer is a new Tomasetto Nordic XP,
The ECU is a LPGTECH 214,
I have used new Valtek type 30 gas injectors,
The pipework to and from the tank is 8mm Faro pipe, two reasons for this, at first I used copper piping but a schoolboy error saw me kinking it when going over the axle so I replaced it with the Faro which also allows me to disconnect it from the tank, should I ever need to remove it, plus its far easier to work with.
Another big mistake I made was when I went to fit the Valtek injectors, the front injector was fouling over the rubber hose going to the FPR, I gently took the bend out of the metal pipe just before it goes into the rubber hose, another schoolboy mistake, I found later I'd cracked the fuel rail causing a petrol leak, luckily Luke (360beast) provided me with another fuel rail, thanks Luke.
I then adapted the bracket for the Valteks to move them over thus avoiding the hose the the FPR, which I also renewed. (Iknow I need to cut that bolt down)
I ran the Faro pipe from the gas tank around the inside of the wheel arch then along under the car clipped every 400mm or less then ran the tank wiring along side it inside split trunking just for some protection.
With the petrol leak now cured and the LPG installation completed I booked the car in at CRD PERFORMANCE in Bolton who carried out the safety inspection which it passed without any issue's (in fact they commented that I'd made a good job of it) they then did the final setting up on their software and carried out further setting up/adjustments during their road test, they then put it on the UKLPG register, I've also notified my insurance and there is no extra cost, V5C/Logbook sent off to the DVLA to be changed to duel fuel.
I wanted to add comments below each photo, but being useless with computers did not manage it, the very last photo of the badge that will be fitted when I've cleaned the car.
Finally I just want to say I have not used the car much since it was completed due to my wife's illness, but my reason for doing the LPG installation was NOT for economy saving money on fuel, No it was done mainly has a hobby installation and to help take my mind of other issues,

827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 23:59   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Is it just me or are teh photos not working?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:21   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default They've gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
They were present when I looked the other day but all I get now is "Postimage image not found or was removed".

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:26   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I forgot to reply to this and say that it looks like a very tidy install you've done David, glad you got it all sorted in the end and I was of some help to you.

The photos were working but not now.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 12:41   #5
827Roverman
VOC Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
They were present when I looked the other day but all I get now is "Postimage image not found or was removed".
I've just opened my original post, the photo's are still there, after I'd posted them I deleted my gallery on postimages so perhaps that's why they won't open,I've now tried to put them back on postimages, if it does not work then accept my apologies, I'm downright useless with computers.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 12:43   #6
827Roverman
VOC Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Just tried my original post, photo's are still there, but may have cocked it up with postimages after deleting them there, sorry.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 18:03   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
I've just opened my original post, the photo's are still there, after I'd posted them I deleted my gallery on postimages so perhaps that's why they won't open,I've now tried to put them back on postimages, if it does not work then accept my apologies, I'm downright useless with computers.
Postimages will assign a different address to the second lot of images David. I suggest you copy&paste your words from this thread into a NEW THREAD and use the NEW LINKS from the second uploading of your photos to Postimages and this time, DON'T DELETE THEM!

They need to stay on Postimages as the forum sees the address of the pictures and goes to postimages to get the image then displays it here.
That means the forum doesn't get clogged up with images being uploaded to the forum, someone like Postimages does that for them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: