Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 324689

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2018, 22:27   #1501
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Obviously I spoke too soon and I got a worded warning regarding a failed headlamp bulb....
I have a stock of 10 bulbs hiding in the footwell. I’d bought them because I was sick of changing them and paying Halfrauds prices:- postmark on the package was August ‘15 and how there are three left. I still bloody hate changing them though.
Have you got them on all of the time DRL,
if so switch them off,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 07:29   #1502
petey
Master Member

Whilst it’s true to say that a bulb will only ever fail as you turn it on (rather than at some point whilst it’s on) and therefore the more times you turn it on the more likely it is to fail, I consider that a smaller risk than say encountering a BMW that just hasn’t looked properly and creams into the side of me because I’m less obvious than I used to be resulting in significantly more damage than a blown bulb.

DRLs seem to spark a lot of emotive responses here, but the fact is the more Christmas tree you are, the better your chances of being seen.
I disagree with the function of some vehicles where they illuminate the dash and front lights only but my Volvo doesn’t do that, it sensibly shows light to all corners and I don’t have to worry about leaving my lights on.
There is an argument that says having 2 off 55W bulbs plus a bunch of other lesser incandescents on all the time has an impact on fuel economy but bluntly if my finances are that close to the wire I should have bought a car I could better afford to run rather than whine about the one I have.

(When I drive other vehicles, and I drive a huge variation of other cars, I generally leave dipped beam on all day anyway. My wife’s ‘17 mini has groovy funky LED headlights and they haven’t complained or failed in 17 months)
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 10:49   #1503
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Agree with all the above... I'd much rather replace the odd bulb than have to find a replacement car.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 14:25   #1504
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Agree with all the above... I'd much rather replace the odd bulb than have to find a replacement car.
Agreed, the DRLs have a marginally lower current draw than the dipped beams anyway - anything that improves i.e. that which decreases the probable rate of impact is worth doing even if it comes down to an imperceptible decrease in mpg - if all else fails is has to protect the NCB on your policy simply because some other numpty sees you and so avoids hitting those seriously expensive bumpers aka fenders for our American friends

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 12th, 2018 at 14:28.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 20:51   #1505
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Just got back from a 200+ mile round trip to Leeds for the purposes of collecting an arcade talking parrot machine that drops plastic eggs with a gift inside... (it takes all sorts, and The Boss has always wanted one! Plus I may be able to swing my way into getting a 1982-ish B&O Beovision TV now )

The S80 drove beautifully, such a relaxing car for longer journeys & the cruise control was a boon. The two main things of note (aside from an exploding Mitubishi L200 engine halfway up that cloaked the M62 in acrid grey smoke!) are that I really want to replace the rear shocks sooner than later, and that I also want a proper mirror glass in the driver's door mirror. The stick-on "repair" that it came with has a hideous blind spot, such that when normally seated a car in the next lane out from us disappears from the centre RVM and can not be noticed until it's alongside and visible out of the corner of ones eye.

Very lacklustre, and caused me to give a poor lady in a red SUV quite the scare before I realised just how bad it was. Rest of the journey was spent leaning forward and making double-triple-quadruple sure the way was safe before moving out a lane... (incidentally, the SUV in question did not have any form of DRL active. Perhaps that would have let me know of her presence a little earlier!)
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 17:51   #1506
vorlon7

Default another V70

My old S reg 2.5 finally came to an end a whole selection of minor niggles + leaking steering rack and then clutch slipping very badly with what felt like the dual mass starting divorce proceedings so sadly even though I could have done the work parts cost just too much A quick train trip and now we have migrated to a lower mileage V reg 280000 2.4lx today fitted the rear taillgate trim repair kit to stop that noise and had a good look round for niggles so far osf door wont lock but will unlock on central locking speaker in that door u/s as well suspect someones been in there, rear os window I was told held up by wood as motor broken but in general car is amazingly tidy no rips or tears original rubber mats and so much quieter than the old one. Rest of day spent trying to undo crank nut on my daughters Yaris made up a lock tool and levering with a pole over a 5ft breaker bar no movement left to soak and get the torch on the bolt tomorrow then back to Volvo and/or my 1972 Saab 95
vorlon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 17:57   #1507
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Lower mileage, 280000.... Wow, what was the old one on?
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 21:55   #1508
vorlon7

Default milage

no idea of true mileage as abs rings and dry joints in abs module meant odometer and speedometer had been u/s for some time before I got it but last valid
mot mileage was higher 320000 if memory serves mileage is not the killer poor servicing is
Why do I buy old Volvos?
I am older than they are so they make me feel young
I can afford the Insurance because I have a large no claims bonus and have retired
They provide superb comfort (ok parking the QE2 can be easier) but cross winds etc don't faze them
They are easy to work on I have replaced drive shafts all brakes front back Sump O rings
Brake abs control unit (re-soldered) and rebuilt calipers and lots more with no special tools apart from Chinese Vardis
he last one in real terms cost me £200 excluding tax mot fees for 3.5 years
Whats not to love?
vorlon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vorlon7 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 22:26   #1509
Turbodave
VOC Member

I took the D5 to the jetwash this evening... hasn't been washed since April. Front wheels were basically black and even neat wheel cleaner has had little effect. Best dig out the old bog cleaning brush tomorrow and give them a scrub.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 12:54   #1510
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Yesterday at 89,100 miles.
1) A common oil/filter change. Leftover oil time it was. Half Mobil1 0W-40 European, half Castrol 5W-40. The car's 14th overall.

2) Sent off my very first oil sample for analysis.

3) Discovered a washer pump had popped out from the reservoir's base and shoved it back into place. Voila' WORKING WASHERS.

Today:
1) Transmission drain & fill

2) Installation of inline transmission filter. ACDelco version of a Magnafine styled filter.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote