Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DRL and side light fuse

Views : 5420

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2016, 11:34   #1
Gumball427

Default DRL and side light fuse

Hi all,

Have a small problem which I was hoping would be a quick fix, however.....

I'm trying to locate the fuse for the passenger side DRL and side light. They both stopped working yesterday so assume a fuse.

Checked the owners manual and can't find any mention of a fuse (or even where the headlamp fuses are either, come to that!). Any ideas?

Not sure if they would be in the lower (hidden) fuse box C in the engine bay (beneath fuse box A) but can't get access to that - can see 3 clips to loosen, but can't get further than that.

Any ideas anyone?

Car is a 2011 model S60

Many thanks

Sean
Gumball427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 12:09   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

change the incandescent bulb - they are wired in series
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 12:32   #3
Gumball427

Thanks for the quick reply, but I thought these were LED lights (the DRL on the front and the Orange / Amber "eyebrow" at the top of the headlamp??)

DRL like this -

DRL.jpg

"eyebrow" in headlamp like this -

2011-volvo-s60-headlight-photo-333717-s-1280x782.jpg

It is both of these that stopped working yesterday.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks

Sean
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 02:02   #4
Agouti

The eyebrow light is incandescent I believe, and what wimorrison is saying is that they are inter-dependent - so if one fails it will stop the other one from working.

Since incandescent bulbs blow all the time if that one has blown it would match your symptoms. Hence check that first.

As a side note, these days fuses very, very rarely break on their own - to put it another way, a blown fuse is almost always a symptom of a short somewhere rather than the cause of a problem, so replacing a fuse without fixing what blown it will just result in another blown fuse.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 13:15   #5
Gumball427

Many thanks for the reply,

So..... I take the headlamp out and try to find the offending bulb....

headlamp rear.jpg

Can't find any bulb for the Orange "eyebrow" as it seems pretty deep within the headlamp. Go to internet to look at potential cost of replacement headlamp as assuming the worst, just in case the "eyebrow" is not replaceable and get shock at price!

So.... switched the DRLs around left to right just to eliminate them as possibly being faulty and it all works. Switched it all back again and all works again. Can only imagine there must have been a bit of corrosion on a connection of something.

Thanks for the help both.

Sean
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 20:02   #6
alf27
Alf27

Unhappy

Or by removing the units, the filament has moved to remake the circuit, but will fail again when next being subject to a bump !

XC60 2008 Auto Grey
alf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 20:39   #7
Gumball427

If that has happened I'll be amazed!!!

Anyone care to point out on the photo how I get to the incandescent eyebrow light bulb??

Sean
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 02:13   #8
Agouti

I checked my S60 the other night and it absolutely has an LED for the eyebrow light. I couldn't see any way to remove it, I think it's glued in place.

I've not heard of incandescent filament going only a little bit dodgy - it's always been either working or permanently dead for me.

The problem with things that magically fix themselves is they tend to magically break again before long. I'd be testing the wire crimps in the plugs that go to those lights to make sure none of the connections are loose.

Last edited by Agouti; Aug 4th, 2016 at 02:17.
Agouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 13:26   #9
jasmith44
jasmith44

I know this is an old thread but can anybody tell me where is the fuse for the DRL's as mine are not working but the indicators are.Thank's.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 15:43   #10
Fat Magpie

I changed my orange eyebrow bulbs a few months back, its easy.

The whole headlamp assembly comes out.
You need to disconnect the one large electrical connector carefully. The headlamp unit is held in by two large black plastic prongs located directly above the headlamp unit.
Once out, look at the unit rear right behind the orange light fixture, there is a small plug that rotates 90 degrees and comes out, it holds the tungsten bulb.

Its a 15 min job to do both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxHinz92eE
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Magpie For This Useful Post: