Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I be worried?

Views : 1799

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2018, 22:44   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I've done around 4,000 miles in my "new" S90 now, and it really does feel as though it's here to stay....but one thing is starting to niggle me a bit.

If the engine has been stood for more than a couple of hours, on starting up the oil light is the last one to go out - perhaps one second after all the others. At the same time there's a definite light rattle from the top of the engine which as with the light, lasts for no more than a second.

Start the engine within an hour of the last switch-off and the oil light goes off immediately.

I've only noticed this phenomenon within the past few weeks, although it is perfectly possible that it's been like it all along but that I've just never noticed.

The car has done 92,000 miles and has a full Volvo service history. The oil and filter was last changed about ten days ago, before that at about 84,000 miles.

The engines ticks over smoothly and quietly, and in the time I've had the car, there's been no drop in the oil level - it's stayed comfortably close to the upper mark on the dipstick.

I'm aware that the car has hydraulic tappets, and the hand book does say to expect a little rattle from the top of the engine at first start-up, that could last for up to 15 minutes! It also says that it would be normal for the oil light to come on whilst the engine is idling after what's described as "hard driving". I don't thrash the car, and it rarely gets to exceed 3500rpm as there is absolutely no need. It's a hugely powerful engine and easily keeps pace with the traffic without ever having to try hard. The oil light has never come on whilst the engine is running. The toughest drive it's had in my ownership was a straight drive from Guildford to Yorkshire, 5 hours without a break, including a considerable period sat idling on the M25 car park, and all on one of the hottest days of the year.

I guess that a laggardly light could be as simple as a tired pressure switch, it could all be normal for this engine, or it could be that there's a problem brewing.

So, should I be concerned? Or am I worrying without good reason?

Thanks in advance

Jack

Perhaps I should add, it's the 2.9 litre 6-cylinder 24v 204bhp engine, with an automatic gearbox.
It may help if you use a genuine volvo oil filter and 5w/30 oil .
however the most likely cause is the rubber seal rings in the oil pick up pipe in the sump , there are several which seal the pick up and other oil pipes in the sump , they allow air to be sucked in instead of oil .
You could fit a mechanical pressure gauge in the oil light switch hole to measure the pressure and get an idea of what is going on .
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 07:07   #12
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It may help if you use a genuine volvo oil filter and 5w/30 oil .
however the most likely cause is the rubber seal rings in the oil pick up pipe in the sump , there are several which seal the pick up and other oil pipes in the sump , they allow air to be sucked in instead of oil .
You could fit a mechanical pressure gauge in the oil light switch hole to measure the pressure and get an idea of what is going on .

^What he said
Before the 1st engines death on my dads v90, That was one of the things that was evident. Dissection of buggered engine, found knackered and perished o rings.
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 16:42   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

Finally got round to buying a new pressure switch. Then I started to look for the old one. Finally found it towards the back of the engine, about as far away from the oil filter as it's possible to be without being on the gearbox! It's just about visible from under the car and pretty much totally inaccessible without some serious dismantling.

Now changing the switch would be great, as would be the fitting of a pressure gauge, but given the location of the switch neither option is immediately practical.

My worry is that even if I get the old switch out, getting the new one in, oil tight and working would be seriously challenging.

I might ask a garage if they can help. IF the car was on a ramp, and IF a very flexible socket extension was to hand then it MIGHT be do-able.

I really don't know what to do now - still, the switch was only £8!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 19:49   #14
rwdkev
VOC member

Did you see this thread.....?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284755
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 19:03   #15
capt jack
VOC Member

Well fitting the new pressure switch never happened. I asked a couple of garages who just couldn't easily get to the old switch, and weren't prepared to spend hours trying.

So I decided to change the oil and fit a new filter, and rather than trust a garage I made up my mind to do it myself.

It was of course a breeze. Drained the old oil - surprisingly dirty after just 3,000 miles, and removed the filter. It was marked TJ - which I think is a Quinton Hazell brand. I checked the QH website - which was broken, but I did find several other on-line sources, some that said it was the correct filter, and some that said that it wasn't! When I looked inside it was definitely different to the one which I bought to replace it.

That replacement was a Mann filter - the brand I'd always used for my 300k mile V70.

For oil I've used fully-synth 5w-30 Petronas.

Since then I've seen that the old light definitely doesn't delay going out, so I have to work on the assumption that the old oil and filter were simply not up to the job.

Jack
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 19:14   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

With that information Jack, i'd suggest keeping an eye on the oil level and when it drops (if it drops) top up with some Carlube ATF-U to help clean the engine internals, revive the oil seals and help your hydraulic tappets to stay quiet.

I suspect the oil/filter changes have been neglected more than somewhat so you may find for the first year or two you need to change the oil more frequently than you'd expect, just to keep it clean.

The Petronas is a good oil, i know several people that use it, if i had an engine that called for it then i'd probably use it as well. Mine need a 10W40 semi-synth so i use Gulf which so far has done very well but as a friend put it, "smells a bit 1969" because it's a bit pungent (not as bad as Castrol GTX though!) although not as nostril-achingly pungent as Castrol!

Glad you seem to have it sorted!

PS - i always thought TJ Filters were a sub-brand of Fram, don't know why!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 19:20   #17
T5Sweep
Master Member

What engine? Whiteblocks are known for a bit of top end rattle.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 20:55   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
What engine? Whiteblocks are known for a bit of top end rattle.
It's a white block, S90, 3.0 i think. If you have one and haven't tried some ATF, preferably synthetic, added to your engine oil to quieten the noisy tappets, you'll be amazed when you do!

I've been using it for about 20 years in anything i've owned that has had hydraulic tappets for that reason alone and have also used it on some with solid tappets, just to clean the internals and revive the seals.

Had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0HO a few years back and that had 3 very noisy tappets. It sounded like 3 pile-drivers inside the engine! Did an oil/filter change and as it took about 6.8L i substituted 1.5L of engine oil for ATF-U and ran it.
Over the course of 1000 miles or thereabouts, the tappets got quieter and quieter until they were totally silent. It pulled a lot better, was better on fuel, started easier and the oil leaks it had went.
As you'll see from my signature, i also have a Rover 827 - these are known for top end rattle as well, especially when cold. I also used to have an 827 Coupé which sounded almost as bad as the Jeep when i first got it. When i sold it, the tappets were silent, as are the tappets in my Sterling. Once in a blue moon, one or two will tick a little during warm up, usually when it's getting near an oil/filter due date for change.

I have also used it in my 760, which although it has solid tappets, sounded very tappety when i first got it, the oil was filthy and the filter was blocked. Like the Jeep, the 760 takes more than 5.0L of oil so i substituted 1L of ATF-U for 10W40 semi-synth to make up the 6L it needs to slurp. The engine got quieter (the tappets still need adjusting but sounds nicer now), the oil leaks have gone, it runs sweeter and nicer overall and the oil is staying cleaner with less blocking of the PCV system.

You wouldn't put up with a new white block with top end rattle, why put up with it just because it's got a few miles on the clock?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 15:48   #19
capt jack
VOC Member

Thanks Dave. Yes, I'm going to change the oil every 5,000 come what may, and use a Mann filter. Previously the car had been serviced by Volvo, with every serviced from new recorded. But at just 89,000 when I bought it, that's only 4,500 per year, and I reckon it's probably suffered from under-use a bit. However, I'd like to keep it for a good long time, so a 5k interval with fully-synth 5w-30 is what it'll get from here on. I'll try the ATF trick too, although the top end doesn't really rattle at all now.

The other thing I've "cured" is the squeaky front suspension. A squirt of PTFE spray on the wishbone bushes, and on the ARB ones as well, seems to have sorted it. I'm going to get some poly bushes for the ARB though, as the originals certainly don't look to be in good shape. The bushes themselves are not available from Volvo, but there is a SuperFlex alternative listed. The car has a hefty 24mm ARB, the bushes for which look to be a special order from Superflex.

But it's a fabulous car!

Sadly I managed to clip the rear bumper on a low gate post, but I'm sorting it out myself. The damage is very low down on the OSR quarter of the bumper, and well within my rattle-can capabilities.

Last on the list for now is a possible LPG conversion. I was made redundant last month, so the luxury of a 6-mile commute has been lost. Am starting a new job tomorrow but it's 25 miles away, so the fuel bill is going to climb a bit. I had a p1 V70 on LPG for 10 years and 250,000 miles, and so I'm perfectly happy with doing the same to the S90. I might just include a top-end lube kit though. The V70 had the 10v engine and was very happy on LPG, but this 24v beastie might just do a bit better with the lube kit. We shall see.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Sep 30th, 2018 at 15:51.
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 16:26   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd be jumping all over getting the LPG conversion ASP with a 50 mile a day commute! Making the figures simple (not necessarily entirely accurate but ball-park close enough) that's a gallon each way at 25mpg and £6 a gallon so £12 a day or £60/wk just in fuel. That's £3k a year to all intents and purposes!

With LPG about half the price of petrol, that's roughly £1500/year or £30 a week saving.

Glad you found another job so quickly too!