Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newby query re "nice looking"145 sitting on fleabay.

Views : 3515

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2020, 13:38   #11
Nextmove

Back again after a night's zeds to do battle with the posting system here, which chucked me out unexpectedly last night (probably spent too long being long winded, and the system thought "enuff is well and truly enuff. Cut the crap and go to bed please!".

Anyhow, your responses to my query were much appreciated, and raised some reactions which I'll try to be brief about.

My BH (better half) and I have long reacted primarily to style and what we see as the "mature age sex appeal" of cars rather than practicality, but having said this we like old cars that were usually pretty pedestrian/boring/staid/ in their heyday. Hence two 30 year old - at the time of purchase - 1970 Merc 280s's (two), big old 80's Beemers (two), 80's Saab, 4 Morrie Minors and many more Jap cars including a beautiful old Toyota Crown. But they became attractive only as they aged beyond at least 10 years, and became a bit unusual. Some were hard or expensive to keep running properly, some just died altogether, some were reluctantly passed to new homes to make room for a replacement, and some had to go on when we migrated to Scotland from Oz, went back to Oz, then migrated back to Scotland a couple of years ago.

And this change of taste for something that's older (riper??) is what's happened to 144/5s and 164s. We both saw them (and also later Volvos like 240s, but definitely not Amazons) as boring lunch boxes on wheels back when they were common-ish. Now we really like the 140/160 style. Being solid, driveable, reliable, and supposedly easy to keep on the road helps, but looks come first before practicality. I accept that later models are probably a much better buy, but they don't float our boats (yet? Give them a few more years perhaps?).

We have two modern cars as daily drivers now. Boring but practical and comfy. I have a recently acquired fourth (57 year old) stock standard and rather ratty Moggie to satisfy some of the urge for ripened transport. We could offload a modern set of wheels and get something in between the new-ish but boring and old but dodgy extremes for in-between (ie not super long distance but OK for a hundred mile trip) transport. Hence the 144/5/164 search

I'm pleased that most comments indicated that the 145 I was looking at seems OK, apart from price. I feared I'd missed something obviously wrong with it.

I'm a bit worried at Laird Scooby's mention that a good 164 with PAS might be harder to find than I imagined, as a frustrating few hours of research had led me to believe that most RHD 164's (that landed in the uk at least) probably had it fitted (or at least 1971 onwards models?) So am I chasing the difficult if not impossible dream?

Fitting electronic PAS to a 144/5 seems to be a fairly reasonable option, but living over on the far west coast of the Highlands makes it a bit of a chore finding somebody to do it - it's beyond my now fading DIY abilities. Driving a stock one with no PAS might be OK for me, but almost certainly not an option for the BH.

Unfortunately even finding one to have a test drive in is a chore from over here. All the ones on the market are way down south. If anybody on this forum lives anywhere near Skye/ Kyle of Lochalsh/Inverness and would be prepared to let me drive around the block in their pride and joy, I'd be a happy chappie indeed.

So I'll keep my eye on what's going out there, keep doing more homework, and keep options open.

Thanks again,

Leroy
Nextmove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nextmove For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 14:32   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Interesting to hear the background of your reasoning and a potted biography of your lives Leroy.

On the 164, i'm fairly sure on early ones at least, PAS wasn't standard, i think it became standard around 1972 but was possibly optional before then. That said, they were only made for another year or so after 1972 so your target market was small when new.

Your criticisms of where the potential market in comparison to your location are well founded. Historically the people with the money and those that would often treat themselves to a new car on retirement have tended to move to the south coast, or at least the south in general as it's warmer than the north, particularly Scotland.
Usually enjoys more sun as well throughout the year but i digress.

This has left the majority of the sort of cars you're after down south. Perhpas the best way of doing it would be to arrange a few days away and some viewings while on those days. National Express coaches used to do cheap tickets if booked online in advance, even returns so you could potentially get cheap travel from Scotland to for example Bournemouth, put up in a B&B or similar somewhere and go hunting for your new chariot.

If you find the car of your dreams, sort the insurance and drive it home (but get breakdown cover just in case!), if not you've had (hopefully) a few nice days away and still have your return coach tickets. As they were cheap in the first place (or hopefully will be if NE are still offering similar deals) you won't lose much not using the return tickets if you drive your dream car home.

Just an idea to give you the opportunities you need to find the right car, i realise it might be easier said than done for whatever reasons but might give you an idea that would work better.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 16:08   #13
Triple-S
How Old?

L-S and the OP, the first year model 164s didn't have PS. My '68 model hasn't got it, and a heavy beast it is to park! My regular-use 164E (1972) does and is a pleasure to drive. However, my '69 model project has it too so should be OK when I set-to.
A friend has got a far-rarer '75 model (their last year) which has lots of subtle differences not easily spotted: most of these went to the USA pending certified introduction of the 264 there. As I've owned a couple of these, the 'states is the best place for them!
Its not just Scotland that is short of Volvo 164s - there aint many anywhere now. South of the Thames I know of about a handful; a very nice 164TE (top executive) is available in the Basingstoke area, but won't be cheap! There is a light blue 164E (injection) available in Milton Keynes - take a look on the Carandclassic website.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 16:15   #14
Nextmove

Agreed, Dave.

I've found that nice old classics either don't exist over in my neck of the woods, or are quietly tucked away in sheds/garages, and have probably not emerged for years. Most locals drive modern cars and obviously value practicality (must be a Highlander trait, or a result of too much porridge in the diet?) over having toys sitting around waiting for an occasional sunny Sunday drive (actually, I'm trying to remember when we last had a sunny Sunday! I drive my Moggie in all weathers, now that I've dammed the river coming through the windscreen).

But it's not because they don't really like old cars. When I started looking at Moggies some months back there were zero on the market in Scotland, or even nearby. And while there were seemingly hundreds selling down south, and thriving Moggie restorer businesses, garages, parts suppliers and owner clubs all over down there, there is almost zilch in Scutland (only one local branch of the huge UK MM owners club, and that's on the other side of Scutland).

So my choice was bought sight unseen after tremulous investigation of the "dealer' I got it from in Nottingham, and I had it trucked up to me (the driver took 11 hours). I thought this was wiser than my trying to collect and drive it back myself.

It turned out not as bad as feared, but not as good as advertised, with inevitable rust. But it looks OK, is now rust free, runs well, stops well, and has a pile of spares accumulating to give the suspension a big birthday. And to my amazement I then discovered an ex local Morris dealer who is a mine of info and skills after years of servicing them in his youth, and a local garage run by a young guy who adores old cars, who employs a genius Euro immigrant mechanic who is a master welder and problem solver. Must be good karma.

The day the Mog arrived and I parked it in the driveway, I had approximately 40 sets of visitors drop by for a chat, a reminisce, stickybeak, advice provision, or general gasbag. We live in a very small village, but in summer have quite a few tourists wandering through "town" after visiting the local Eilean Donan Castle. I had gaggles of giggling Chinese taking selfies and long shots, Frenchies looking quietly admiringly (down their noses) at it, Yanks asking what kind of car it is (and whether it's a V6 or V8!), local tradies dropping by to comment that they used to have one (and one still does - rotting in his garage), local residents we'd never met in the previous 2 years coming up for a chat, and two local vintage wedding car hirers stopping to offer advice.

Everybody loves old cars, and reminiscing about them. Only very few actually own them up here, though.

This sudden burst of fame took weeks to fade away, and I still get stopped by passers-by every time I take it for a drive anywhere, or spend a rare fine-ish day under the bonnet.

So.... I will persevere, and if necessary be prepared to drop everything and fly or drive down over the border to that country down south of here if something really good looks worth a trip.

Mainly looking at a 164 now. Pity that Europeans drive on the wrong side of the road, as apparently nice ones seem common on the other side of the channel. I know of a couple of good ones back in Oz (where they still drive on the correct side), but that's being a tad extreme.

Leroy
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 16:24   #15
Nextmove

Missed your comments Triple S, until after I'd posted that last chapter of War and Pieces.

I've been watching that blue one on C&C for months, but baulked at the apparently lurid colour in the few shots C&C shows. Finally took a closer look on the dealer's site a few nights back, and it looks rather nice. The price is a bit jaw dropping, though. And I saw no mention of power steering either, but will ask. There's also a gold one, but the BH hates the colour.

I won't go LHD as it's years since I had to drive on the continent on the wrong side, and I have no intention of trying to re-learn how to do that again. Took me weeks in a small Citroen to get the non-mirror imaged gearstick action to work with the wrong hand. Too old for new tricks then, and even more so now. European/American driving? Will take a bus/train/taxi.

Can you steer me towards the ones you mention south of the Thames? Flights from Inverness to Gatwick or wherever are easy enough to organise, as I don't have a day job any more, thank goodness. Retiring is the best career move I ever made.

Leroy

Last edited by Nextmove; Feb 16th, 2020 at 16:29. Reason: typos
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 19:29   #16
Triple-S
How Old?

Nextmove - I don't think its politically correct on here for me to steer you to any particular sales, but as you are a new member and might have restrictions, if you mail me on paultill38@gmail.com I'll tell you all I know in my reply.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 14:36   #17
amazondean
amazondean

That car has been advertised for what feels like years. It looks near perfect, so I am not sure why it hasn't sold. I believe it has to be worth £7000, which isn't a million miles off the asking price. Unless it's not the same in the flesh, which is almost always the case!!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 15:09   #18
JetBlastDeflector
XC40 P8 FIRST EDITION

Have you bought it yet?

The advert on eBay says that it has Power Steering.

Item specifics
Condition:Used: An item that has been previously used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of ... Read more
about the condition
Year: 1973
Model: 145 DL
Independent Vehicle Inspection: Yes
Colour: Green
Manufacturer: Volvo
Country/Region of Manufacture: Sweden
Engine Size: 1986
Drive Side: Right-hand drive
Transmission: Manual
Interior/Comfort Options: Power-assisted Steering (PAS)[/COLOR]
Doors: 5
Fuel: Petrol
Seats: 5
Previous owners (excl. current): 3
Exterior: Tow Bar
Body Type: Estate
V5 Registration Document: Present

Last edited by JetBlastDeflector; Feb 17th, 2020 at 15:16. Reason: More info.
JetBlastDeflector is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JetBlastDeflector For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 23:30   #19
Nextmove

Whoopsie JBD and thanks for the heads-up. I most certainly didn't see the PAS mentioned in the ad, despite reading it a dozen times.

Creeping Alzheimers again.

I wonder if it's electronic or a 164 system transplant. Presumably electronic.

I'll certainly keep it on my radar, but ironically after all this excitement I'm now leaning towards a 164 instead. The BH likes them more and who am I to argue?
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 18:18   #20
Nextmove

I chased up that green 145 on ebay, and confirmed that, yes, it does have PAS. Electronic, apparently Mitsubishi, I think I heard him say.

But since then I've been steered towards 164s, and have just signed up for a maroon 1971 auto, one owner, 77,000 miles very nice maroon interior, rust spots in both wings at the top (common apparently) and in a sill, but hopefully otherwise in very good nick. Fortunately I have a good contact for welding and spraying.

Now I just have to get from western Scotland down to near Heathrow and drive it gently back. Have to bide my time for a week or two to get away for the trip.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nextmove For This Useful Post: