Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 815277

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2013, 08:31   #521
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post
So looking for on all round tyre. Neve been a fn of having £500 sat in the garage for 7 months of the year having winter tyres...

So suggestions for an all season anyone?
Hi Rich,

I appreciate there are a lot of posts to go through, but if you have a read back through this thread you'll find a lot of reviews.

A lot of people use their 'Winters' all year around too.

I use Nokian WR G2 all year, the Goodyear HP All Weather and General Grabber UHP are popular choices too.

Jim.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 19:10   #522
Funky Diver
FD

True enough Jim, although I've been through most of the posts and I think I was getting over bombarded, lol.

We're going for the Goodyears though, my local indie has matched most places online and i trust his judgement.... Got another 3 or 4 months wear left in it yet though.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funky Diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 18:46   #523
WoodyXC90

Hi all,
Looking to change all four corners on my my2008 XC90 D5 SE. Looked through this thread, all very confusing don't know which way to go. General Grabber seems the way to go, or Pirelli zeros which I have had a price for at £139.20 each fitted, which seems a pretty good price. They also quoted me for General Grabber AT's at £144.00 each fitted. Looking at the Grabber grip on the net and it looks a bit harsh and ugly for the XC90. Would love to see a XC90 with Grabber At's on. Correct me if I am wrong but have stopped making the Grabber uhp, and replaced it with Grabber At, apologies if this has already been covered in this thread... I tow a fairly large Caravan so the need to be able to pull it off a wet field is crucial...
Dave......

Last edited by WoodyXC90; Jul 8th, 2013 at 18:49.
WoodyXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 16:33   #524
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyXC90 View Post
Hi all,
Looking to change all four corners on my my2008 XC90 D5 SE. Looked through this thread, all very confusing don't know which way to go. General Grabber seems the way to go, or Pirelli zeros which I have had a price for at £139.20 each fitted, which seems a pretty good price. They also quoted me for General Grabber AT's at £144.00 each fitted. Looking at the Grabber grip on the net and it looks a bit harsh and ugly for the XC90. Would love to see a XC90 with Grabber At's on. Correct me if I am wrong but have stopped making the Grabber uhp, and replaced it with Grabber At, apologies if this has already been covered in this thread... I tow a fairly large Caravan so the need to be able to pull it off a wet field is crucial...
Dave......
I just tried to take a look a look at the official test results for the AT and the XC90 18" size doesn't have the info on them but the next aspect ratio up does and it's awful. Poor on fuel, grip and noise. I'd try and find out the official results for the size you want if I were you. http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...,108,H,XL.html
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 17:34   #525
WoodyXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I just tried to take a look a look at the official test results for the AT and the XC90 18" size doesn't have the info on them but the next aspect ratio up does and it's awful. Poor on fuel, grip and noise. I'd try and find out the official results for the size you want if I were you. http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...,108,H,XL.html
Done a little more research, the General Grabber UHP has been discontinued and replaced by The General Grabber GT, anyone got these fitted would love to hear your thoughts. The GG AT's would look to harsh on the XC90 plus road noise and poor fuel economy really puts me off.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 14:57   #526
phaedrus

Correct about the grabber i found this out a couple of months ago and had the GT fitted to the front wheels. They seem to perform well, comfortable, quiet and having just driven in the alps for two weeks into and out of campsites i can say they grip well too, they come recommended from me.
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phaedrus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 21:53   #527
jvdm

Default Grabber GT

Getting two Grabber GT's fitted on Thursday. Going to Scotland for 10 days on Friday and will post any updates when I return
jvdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 12:14   #528
Uselesshippy

Default Northwest prices

Hi anyone got any prices and dealers for general gt or nokians in the northwest
Uselesshippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 17:53   #529
Uselesshippy

Default General gt,s

Hi, well bit the bullet and got the General grabber GT's all round, checked all the online sites and they were generally coming back around 140 per rim plus fitting. Thought I try some local indies and found one who do them for 132 per rim all in, and they could get them in a couple of hours.
Tyres are funny things to price while I was pricing the GT's thought I,d ask for Maxxis MASAS as some of the online sites has good deals on them. But the Indys were all dearer for them than the GT,s and in some cases the Pirelli.
Weird. Well off to France now so these will be well broken in.
Uselesshippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 19:50   #530
Just Drive

I'm going to go for a set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

I'll update as time goes on with my experiences, hopefully good ones!!
Just Drive is offline   Reply With Quote