Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 "Dump Valve Sound" / Slow Turbo Response Cure

Views : 12781

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 11:25   #1
RAN60
Master Member

Default D5 "Dump Valve Sound" / Slow Turbo Response Cure

As discussed in my previous posts On the S60 00-07 Forum and after lengthy investigations into why my car was producing this overboost and Dump valve "PSSSSSSST" sound everytime i revved or changed gear, the problem has turned out to be so simple yet so very easy to cure.

I cannot take full credit for this thought as i had alot of help fault finding, result comparisons and advice from Outnumbered, Hobbyhorse and Bernard 333. So big, big thanks to you guys!

Right here is a quick how to: (I cant take credit for the photos as they are the work of the very helpful Outnumbered, Thanks again)

Tools Needed: 1 Big flat head screwdriver, 1 Torx 30 Screwdriver, 1 Can of Brake/clutch cleaner (or similar), 1 Small screwdriver & 1 cup of tea to admire your handy work on completion

1) Remove the Inlet pipe by unscrewing the jubilee clips pointed out in the picture below

2) Once this pipe has been removed you will not have much better access to the Boost control valve or turbo governor (many different names) shown just behind the pipe below.

3) Unbolt the 2 screws shown in the image which hold the Control valve to the engine block (Torx 30 screws).

*IMPORTANT* As shown below, make sure you put a rag or cloth down onto the starter motor terminals because when you are unbolting the bottom screw your screwdriver can quite easily short out on the positive terminal.

4) Pull out the controll valve so that you can get easy access to pipes and connector attached to the unit. Remove the pipes and connector shown below making sure you note which pipe went on which input (they are labeled "VAC" and "OUT"

5) This bit is the only fiddly bit. *CAREFULLY* remove the small black square cover on top of the boost control valve (shown below) with a small screwdriver or knife (there are 4 small lugs holding it on) *be careful also not to snap the supporting legs, although they are quite tough*

6) Once the cap has been removed you will see a small, very fine plastic mesh. This is where the vacuum is diverted to release the boost pressure on the turbo. As you can see even the slightest bit of muck can reduce airflow out from this. Using the Brake Cleaner (or carb clearner) Give the mesh a good long blast from the top and quite close to make sure all the little bits of crap are removed. The mesh, when clean should become a white color.

7) On the "Out" Leg give a gentle blow until air is felt from through the "Out" leg, just to dry it out and make sure there's no crap in there.

Fitting is the same but in reverse

I hope this helps people that were in my boat, as we have discussed in previous threads, i wouldnt like to think how many peple have replaced this valve for the same reasons i would have, only to find they could have cleaned this mesh and problem solved!

I cant gaurantee this will work for everyone as there maybe other vacuum related issues going on such as leaky engine pads.

But i would recommend this to anyone doing routine maintenance on thier car as my turbo response was DRAMATICALLY increased and the "dump valve" sound is GONE!!!

Once again i cant thank Mike (outnumbered) enough for his sound advice, willingness to go out and help (leaving his breakfast go cold) and for the pictures! Also to all the other guys for thier help and advice!

If this saves one more person from a trip to the garage with countless diagnostics being performed and parts changed being changed at rediculous costs then it goes to show just how useful and helpful this forum and alls its members are!
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RAN60 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 19:16   #2
geordieboy

Hi I think I might have the same problem with my S60 as I get the engine service required message when I accelerate up to about 60 in 4th. I`m going to get my mechanic son to try the method you mentioned. I have printed off the piece. I will keep you posted. Many thanks. P.s I only joined the forum a few days ago.
geordieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 17:42   #3
kenny37

Hadtime spare so thought i`d look at mine and took off large pipe first(full of oily gunk!!) to find nothing there but checking above photos i see that this is not the the newer d5(185)and is different in the fact the bit i was looking for is further right and higher up and has a lot easier access but is attached by a lock washer not bolts so left in situe as all working fine at the moment.
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny37 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2012, 23:34   #4
hayney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny37 View Post
Hadtime spare so thought i`d look at mine and took off large pipe first(full of oily gunk!!) to find nothing there but checking above photos i see that this is not the the newer d5(185)and is different in the fact the bit i was looking for is further right and higher up and has a lot easier access but is attached by a lock washer not bolts so left in situe as all working fine at the moment.
correct. this is 120kw. I plan to do this operation too
hayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 23:38   #5
Tonic92

Default Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny37 View Post
Hey, do you have maybe a picture where is it located? I am strugling to find it
Tonic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 20:06   #6
seanc

Wish I found this before I ordered a new TCV - that is assuming the TCV fixes the problem. I'll have to look in my old one.
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 20:30   #7
staffy460

why cant i see any pics
staffy460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 07:33   #8
staffy460

Default pics

anyone help me out
staffy460 is offline   Reply With Quote