Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm system Service Required - message?

Views : 31208

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 15:43   #1
jimbg
Master Member

Default Alarm system Service Required - message?

I decided to load some destinations into the Sat Nav and turned it on by inserting the key and pressing Start without touching the brake pedal

This worked fine, but a message appeared that I had not seen before and does not appear during the normal start procedure.

It was cleared by the Volvo dealer but has come straight back!

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Jimbg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (105.5 KB, 56 views)
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 16:05   #2
mfresh
Nice person

You are describing the exact symptoms that both I and several other forum members have experienced.

It is usually caused by a faulty mass movement sensor in the alarm system, and it will need replacing. Volvo have had a lot of problems with faulty ones I gather from my dealer, and mine was replaced by one which also failed within a very short period of time. My third one seems OK touch wood.

I suggest you get your dealer to replace it and that will almost certainly fix the problem - unless it is some strange and unusual different fault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
I decided to load some destinations into the Sat Nav and turned it on by inserting the key and pressing Start without touching the brake pedal

This worked fine, but a message appeared that I had not seen before and does not appear during the normal start procedure.

It was cleared by the Volvo dealer but has come straight back!

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Jimbg
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfresh For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 16:28   #3
jimbg
Master Member

mfresh,

Can I ask did you have any other symptoms and did it cause any problems until it was fixed?

Not sure if I need to get it fixed before I go off in the car to France for a few weeks.

I should have used the search function before posting, now see what this problem is all about!

Last edited by jimbg; Mar 15th, 2012 at 18:17. Reason: Used the search option
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 19:18   #4
mfresh
Nice person

Funnily enough mine failed when I was on holiday in France. I didn't get it fixed until I got back to England about a week later and I didn't notice any side effect or other problems at all - although I assume the alarm wasn't working properly during that time.

Still, I'm no expert on these matters: if you need advice ask someone who knows what they are talking about. That's my advice!
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 20:27   #5
XC60MY12
Country Member

I had this recurring message about a month after buying the car new last September. In all other respects the alarm seemed to be working correctly so, at the dealer's suggestion, I left it until the 3 month PSI. They replaced the mass sensor but the message came back after a few days. They then replaced the movement sensor and I have not seen the problem since.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 21:59   #6
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
I had this recurring message about a month after buying the car new last September. In all other respects the alarm seemed to be working correctly so, at the dealer's suggestion, I left it until the 3 month PSI. They replaced the mass sensor but the message came back after a few days. They then replaced the movement sensor and I have not seen the problem since.
Interesting, my car was new in September.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 22:55   #7
DEFRO

Same problem here but mine is a June car so it is not a september build issue.
DEFRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:37   #8
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFRO View Post
Same problem here but mine is a June car so it is not a september build issue.
Indeed, I am sure that it was over a period of time. The Volvo dealer certainly seemed to be aware of the problem.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 18:06   #9
jimbg
Master Member

Well I had the sensors replaced today...........and the message is still there!!

The dealer has been told by Volvo that there is a new modified sensor that will be available in Q2.
There was some thought that because I have a panoramic roof this was linked to the problem as the movement sensor is located in different place?

Anyway I have to wait now until it is a available.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 19:22   #10
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
Well I had the sensors replaced today...........and the message is still there!!

The dealer has been told by Volvo that there is a new modified sensor that will be available in Q2.
There was some thought that because I have a panoramic roof this was linked to the problem as the movement sensor is located in different place?

Anyway I have to wait now until it is a available.
I have the sun roof too. The sensor is located immediately below the cup-holders in the storage compartment between the front seats. For this reason nothing metal should be put there, including coins.