Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BBC Watchdog and Volvo ETM failures.

Views : 15333

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 16:37   #1
volvo2
Master Member

Default BBC Watchdog and Volvo ETM failures.

BBC Watchdog is presently looking into Volvo ETM failures.

Can I suggest that those of us who are concerned immediately write to Watchdog by going on-line to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/transport.shtml; or write to: BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS; or telephone: 020 8535 1000

In a recent communication with the program they told me that they need more individuals to make contact with them before they can follow up the issue (e.g. apparently they had 50 contacts regarding the Audi problem).

From what I have seen, if the BBC gets involved then we just might get a result.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:51   #2
brens-s80
VOC Member

Unhappy broken link

Hi Melvyn,

thanks for the heads up but the link to the BBC web site appears to be broken. I have a 1999 S80 which has had its ETM replaced so I'd be interested in adding my tuppence worth !.

regards

Brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:03   #3
adieu
Master Member

Default Try this

Here ya go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/transport.shtml
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 12:17   #4
jtaw45

i haven't had a problem yet but would still like to abck this campaign as it's only a matter of time before we're all effected,any suggestions?i can't really complain about something that hasn't happened.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 23:05   #5
volvo2
Master Member

Do you have any of the early symptoms, like erratic idle?

Melvyn
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 23:47   #6
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I had this on my 99 2.9, and it was easily cured by cleaning the throttle bore around the flap.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:51   #7
volvo2
Master Member

That is incorrect. See http://vexedvolvo.org/
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:27   #8
jtaw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith
I had this on my 99 2.9, and it was easily cured by cleaning the throttle bore around the flap.
After the well documented problems in USA i think it would be wise of us to use this opportunity to protect our wallets now and in the future,if watchdog are willing to take this on and pursue it then i feel we'd be foolish to let the chance slip away.If in 1 years time one of us has to fork out the £600 to get this part replaced imagine how pi$$ed off we'd be,it'll be too late to wish we'd done something then.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 00:48   #9
After_Shock

My efforts to defend Volvo and prove an insight into whats happening have obviously been taken far too seriously so I will just be quiet on the matter.

Last edited by After_Shock; Feb 16th, 2006 at 18:15.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:09   #10
PunkDebutante

Quote:
Originally Posted by After_Shock
Funny problem this, I work in a dealer and have been their 8 months now and have only seen one car with a failed/faulty ETM, hardly a common fault and appears to be getting blown out of proportion by watchdog.

Ive asked the question in the past at work as obviously this gets mentioned alot on the american boards and the techies at work say the faulty ETM's in the states were used on nearly all the cars, however the ETM's on european cars which cause problems are much rarer.

Considering the ETM is a part sourced by Volvo and not made by them, and its also a part that is causing problems after many thousands of miles in nearly all cases people are surprisngly quick to have a go at Volvo and blame them for it! As they have said they will fix problems without charging people personally I think they are being more than generous as im fairly sure they will be getting sod all back from the parts manufacturers.
Volvo has NOT said it will fix the problem without charging. I have paid out over £800 to have mine fixed. Volvo UK has actually said it is going to do nothing about it except now have a software upgrade in April for those with ETM's that have already PAID to have it replaced.

And so you know, the ETM part is EXACTLY the same on the US and UK cars. My father owns 28 Volvo dealerships and has this in writing so guess what... it is going to fail. Your local Volvo dealership may be lucky as far as ATM failures go but mine has numerous ones in this last 6 months.

And lastly, Volvo is one the sourced the part and knew of the problem. This faulty part has almost killed numerous people, including me. So quit spouting off about stuff you honestly don't know about.