Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

03 V40 1.9D 115bhp power loss

Views : 4449

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2013, 21:48   #1
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Default 03 V40 1.9D 115bhp power loss

Hi, I have the 115bhp version of 03 - V40D. I had a problem a few months back of power loss below 2500rpm, I changed the EGR valve and cleaned the MAF sensor, this seemed to do the trick. Not perfect but loads better.
It's started acting up again past few days, but now there's no power through the whole rev range. I can hear the turbo whistling when coming off accelerator, and engines sounds lumpy and as though it wants to continue running when turning ignition off.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 22:21   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
I can hear the turbo whistling when coming off accelerator, and engines sounds lumpy and as though it wants to continue running when turning ignition off.
Are you getting boost? If not, check all the large rubber hoses leading to and from the turbo and the intercooler for damage/splits or loose clamps.

If the engine wants to run-on then your shut off valve (located adjacent to the EGR) may not be functioning correctly or can be affiliated with the above.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 18:23   #3
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Hi Baffler, thanks for the reply.
I've had a bit of a look/feel round the hoses which appear fine. A bit of oil towards the turbo.
I've started the car and it will rev to 2500rpm whilst stationary but struggles over this, it will eventually red line if theres enough time in the day to wait for it.
Old May 7th, 2013, 22:49   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Try disconnect the MAF sensor and take it for a drive to see if it revs freely above 2500rpm.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old May 8th, 2013, 18:50   #5
V40DSchariot
Master Member

I've checked all hoses large and small to and from turbo and no problem there. I took MAF sensor off and cleaned, went for a run, was the same, disconnected MAF sensor on way back and would'nt rev over 2500rpm, actually struggled to get up a little incline (not justifiable to call a hill). It has most power between 2500 - 3250rpm which is vertually non existance.
Old May 8th, 2013, 20:39   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Before you go replacing anything check the fuel pick-up in the tank - see here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2013, 23:57   #7
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Thanks Baffler, looks like that will be a weekend job.
I shall give that a good looking at and report back
Old May 14th, 2013, 21:05   #8
V40DSchariot
Master Member

I had a young lad run into the back of me a couple of weeks back, so car's in for repair. From what I was told at the garage there's a vent towards the back of the tank, which if that's been blocked/broke by being rammed could be a possible cause. Does anyone out there know of this type of thing?
Old May 17th, 2013, 20:34   #9
V40DSchariot
Master Member

Unhappy Still the same

I got car back this afternoon which was driving the same. I stripped out the fuel pick up which did indeed have the gunk within the filter housing so a big thanks for that heads up Baffler. I gave it a clean through, put back together and went for a test drive, but it still drives the same! It feels as though she wants to go but is being held back. 1st and 2nd she'll rev all the way round eventually (still pretty gutless though) but she'll only rev to 3500rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Any more ideas anyone?? I'm starting to pull my hair out!
The Following User Says Thank You to V40DSchariot For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2013, 14:00   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

Have you changed the fuel filter?

If you have the radio code you could reset the ECU values by disconnecting the battery negative lead for an hour or more, preferably overnight, and then see if your power is restored. If it is restored it would then be a good idea to have a diagnostics carried out to see what trouble codes are stored on the ECU.