Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 not running right, advice/help needed

Views : 1974

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 15:30   #1
Cushionmonkey

Default D5 not running right, advice/help needed

Sorry to everyone if this has been covered before and for the long post but my poor car isn't well it seems. I have a 2002 S60 D5 163 on 160,000 miles, most of which are long motorway journeys. I've owned the car 10 years and it has a FSH with all filters replaced yearly. She did have No.4 injector replaced 2 years ago but it was of the same type also a new clutch and DMF. When accelerating the engine feels rough and lacking in power. The turbo kicks in fine with no noise but the engine just feels rough, almost struggling and with some cavitation/vibration, especially when accelerating say from 50 to 70, hubs seem to be fine though and no distinct engine noises. I just can't seem put my finger on the problem. Is there anything I could be missing that I need to maybe look at or check? I've cleaned the plenum chamber part way, I can't do the rest till I find a torque wrench however. Also since the injector replacement it's had injector knock on accelerating under load, but on speaking to volvo service they advised this can't be removed, which is a shame as it's very annoying. The air box housing the filter also has also suffered from the heat distortion issue it seems. I know this isn't much to go on but I just wondered if there is anything I've missed or I can try, clean etc before paying to check for any error codes or faults.
Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.
Cushionmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 19:55   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Try cleaning the MAF sensor, there's a decent aerosol cleaner on e-bay for less than £10.

Perhaps try a diesel purge, some people think it's "snake oil" but I have used Liqui Moly (search the 'net for results/information) and I would not agree, it should help with the "knock".
I currently have a 163 (an 02 on 166k and it runs really well) and a later 185 D5 V70, and both have benefitted from the above.
Again, Liqui Moly diesel purge available on e-bay around £14.50 for a litre.
Do make up the plastic pipe and filter "device" and purge directly into the pump and injectors for the best cleaning (search the 'net on how to do this).

There you go, two relatively cheap options which could help/solve your issues.

Where did you get your replacement injector ? I gather reconditioned ones are not always that great.

Probably also worth doing an injector leak off test, again, a cheap and cheerful exercise, explained on the internet and in this Forum.

The best way to get the air box lid and air filter to fit properly is to lift up (unclip) or even remove the air box. the rear edge is a bu**er to seat properly.

Last edited by Lancee; Jun 22nd, 2014 at 20:14.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 20:53   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Ihave a similar age D5 with a touch more mileage and I echo what Lancee says.
The MAF cleaner is CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and is worth waiting a couple of days for from eBay.
If you can't hang on, you can get Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner off the shelf for £4, although I found it's spray wasn't powerful enough to really blast around the MAF chamber.
When cleaning the MAF, you really need to remove it from the housing using a security torx bit, so you can get good access for the spray.
What's the reason the injector can't be removed?
The knock can be caused by it being incorrectly seated, which is simple to resolve by removing it, scrupulously cleaning the the port and injector body and tip and remounting using a new mounting kit from Volvo for £18.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 21:03   #4
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Fuel filter?

When was the fuel filter last changed? - well worth doing even if you 'think' a garage 'should' have replaced, diesels are more critical on fuel filters than petrol cars, some fuel cleaner also very easy to give a go (ive used JML Diesel Injector Cleaner with good results, you just add to the fuel)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 01:48   #5
Cushionmonkey

Thanks Lancee I shall give all the above a try, especially the air box as that's been a right pain getting it to fit properly. The injector was done at a family friends garage, my own fault as I was taken in by his spiel, and he did more damage than good. The injectors had been replaced by volvo during the recall back in 2005 or so but No.4 had developed a leak. He said they'd fix it and replace the seals. In fact they destroyed the injector and never replaced the seal or clamp so it leaked again. The replacement was alleged new bosch but I think it was a recon. They even put the wrong type in first time round. The leak is now fixed, I just want the knock gone and the growl back ha. Hopefully with the help and advice you've given that will be possible, thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 02:03   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushionmonkey View Post
Thanks Lancee I shall give all the above a try, especially the air box as that's been a right pain getting it to fit properly. The injector was done at a family friends garage, my own fault as I was taken in by his spiel, and he did more damage than good. The injectors had been replaced by volvo during the recall back in 2005 or so but No.4 had developed a leak. He said they'd fix it and replace the seals. In fact they destroyed the injector and never replaced the seal or clamp so it leaked again. The replacement was alleged new bosch but I think it was a recon. They even put the wrong type in first time round. The leak is now fixed, I just want the knock gone and the growl back ha. Hopefully with the help and advice you've given that will be possible, thanks.
With family friends like that, who needs enemies?
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 02:05   #7
Cushionmonkey

I have to agree with you cheshired5 that the advice given by Lancee is the way to go. I want to clean the rest of the plenum pipe this week, torque wrench pending, so will clean the MAF then and get everything else done and fingers crossed problem resolved. In regards as to why the injector can't be removed that's my error, I meant volvo service advised the injector knock couldn't be removed, unless I replaced all 5 injectors ha. In regards to the mounting kit where did you get them for £18? My local volvo dealer charged me £60ish for mine. The fuel filter was changed in August last year Thasso during its service, I even supplied the filters for them, it may need some water draining off though so will check that too. Will double check the intercooler aswell as it's still on its original one.

Last edited by Cushionmonkey; Jun 23rd, 2014 at 02:10.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 11:25   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

I got the mounting kit from my local Volvo dealership for £18. It's actually a touch more but I asked for discount.
It comprised of a clamp, 2 bolts, copper sealing washer, upper sealing collar and new circlip.
The recommendation is to also fit new high pressure fuel pipes to any injector you remove but I and many haven't bothered and got away with it.
If you want to have a go yourself, it's pretty straightforward with a basic tool kit and my videos are here.

Removal
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMLT6ZBokk
Installation
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bbQhKjj6jis
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 19:18   #9
Cushionmonkey

Thanks, your a star, that's great help and I'll definitely be giving it a go as I think it's needed.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 02:10   #10
Torsen

So, any solution here? I got same problem.
Torsen is offline   Reply With Quote