Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tow bar options pls

Views : 5150

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2019, 08:30   #31
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
On the Swedish car accessories website, which I believe is a website run by a dealer (don't know which one) there are two tow bar options available. Firstly the neatest solution the foldable which I'm sure is a superb unit. Although I've seen it deployed on YouTube and it's not as impressive as I thought it sort of drops down then man handled into position. I'd assumed it did the lot itself for the price.
https://www.swedishcaraccessories.co...bar-3667-p.asp
The electric towbar is great. Push a button, the towhook drops down, one sharp lift into place and its locked. To put away, push the button, towhook drops, push up into place. So easy, and there is nothing to show it is fitted unless it has been deployed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 08:37   #32
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
The electric towbar is great. Push a button, the towhook drops down, one sharp lift into place and its locked. To put away, push the button, towhook drops, push up into place. So easy, and there is nothing to show it is fitted unless it has been deployed.
I'm sure it it great. I had just assumed for the price all you'd need to to deploy/retract is press the button and watch it do it's thing.

Just saw the fixed bar so putting it out there as a cheaper option.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 10:38   #33
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I'm sure it it great. I had just assumed for the price all you'd need to to deploy/retract is press the button and watch it do it's thing.

Just saw the fixed bar so putting it out there as a cheaper option.
I see what you are saying, but agree with others, its really very good and the process of pushing it into position is ultra simple and takes less than a second, it literally requires no force at all. In contrast, my brother has an X5 with a tow bar which deploys completely electronically, but it is so tediously slow I actually prefer the Volvo unit (have seen this same unit on a Touareg too).

Also on price, 1k might be pricey, but my father bought a brand new X5 back in December, literally the first one of the new generation out of the showroom (it was actually used at the launch event). He was promised that a retrofit would come available for the tow bar within a few months. It has now, and the price.... 3.5k!!!!

:wq
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 17:16   #34
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
In contrast, my brother has an X5 with a tow bar which deploys completely electronically, but it is so tediously slow I actually prefer the Volvo unit
Totally agree with this.
My last car was a 5-series with the fully electric towbar - same principal as the Volvo unit in that you press a button in the boot for it to be extended or retracted, however, it would take about 30secs to run through the cycle as opposed to a couple for the Volvo unit. If you get impatient and try to move the car whilst the unit is deploying it will stop and log an error code, meaning that you have to press the button again when you've moved the car to finish it off. After a number of error codes being logged (think it's 5 but I could be wrong), it will disable the towbar and you have to take the car to the dealer for the codes to be cleared before it will work again.

When you then add in the fact that BMW UK only support trailer electrics from factory, meaning a further £450 bill to upgrade the factory 13-pin electrics to that they support a caravan (ATC, fridge & battery charging), suddenly the BMW offering becomes much less attractive.

Ultimately, the fully electric BMW solution is fancy, but the Volvo semi-electric is sooo much more practical and, as a result, a much finer offering in my view.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 20:47   #35
warwick

Default Atc

I have a Volvo fitted towbar/electrics on plugging in the ATC does not self test until a door is opened and the car "wakes up" that I find a unusual compared to previous cars, the main problem is the ATC goes through the self test on starting the engine and every subsequent restart at say a petrol station or following a driving break. The permanent supply is not permanent and I suspect fed from the ignition rather than the battery. Can anyone confirm how their car operates before I take the car back to Volvo again.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 21:42   #36
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
I have a Volvo fitted towbar/electrics on plugging in the ATC does not self test until a door is opened and the car "wakes up" that I find a unusual compared to previous cars, the main problem is the ATC goes through the self test on starting the engine and every subsequent restart at say a petrol station or following a driving break. The permanent supply is not permanent and I suspect fed from the ignition rather than the battery. Can anyone confirm how their car operates before I take the car back to Volvo again.
Mine is the same, unlike on my previous Volvo cars which self tested on connection. The spa car needs waking up. And go back to sleep after so many minutes after ignition turned off.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 5th, 2019 at 21:56.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 22:17   #37
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
My experience is exactly the same, unlike on my previous Volvo cars which self tested on connection. The spa car needs waking up. And go back to sleep after so many minutes after ignition turned off.
Exactly the same in my experience - S80 & Gen 1 XC60 both permanent, SPA V90 goes to sleep. Not a particular concern from my perspective - I can just open or close the boot to reactivate it if required.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 19:25   #38
warwick

Thanks for replies but can you confirm if the car is awake i.e. ATC is green following its initial self test, then engine is started does your ATC self test again i.e. is your permanent feed interrupted by starting the engine each and every time?
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 20:21   #39
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
Thanks for replies but can you confirm if the car is awake i.e. ATC is green following its initial self test, then engine is started does your ATC self test again i.e. is your permanent feed interrupted by starting the engine each and every time?
Do you mean a momentary blip in the power supply as engine starts, similar to the USB power supply when charging phone and you hear the phone chime as power goes off then back on. I have never checked the ATC if that does it. It may do.
My ATC self tests after stopping and parking up for some time and restarting engine, I always check the green light is on before setting off but I can't check it at the moment as caravan is not at my house.
A few times when removing van from the storage compound I have noticed it stays flashing after connecting up but after driving a few yards and stopping to open the gate it has changed to steady green. This could be because starting the engine causes the power blip and it re-tests.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 6th, 2019 at 20:32.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 10:18   #40
Beavis
Premier Member

i just got my V90 T4 in August. was put off with £1100 Volvo folding costs. i wanted a fixed towbar as my last brand new car was hit in the rear whilst parked at 2 weeks old requiring a complete back end - my towbar at that time was removed. As a result after that accident i always keep it fitted.

i managed to track down a new V90 fixed towbar from a dealer which had it in stock. Volvo stopped selling in the UK in 2017/18 due to lack of demand so now do not acknowledge their existence. it is EU approved with all stickers/certificates etc. https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...20(17-)%202020

its easy to fit - c.2 hours - remove bumper with c.4 screws/bolts either side; remove crash bar; fit towbar; cut underside of bumper; feed electrics through. remove rear offside boot lining. connect up - fit fuses. all back together. job done.
i also bought the Trailer/Towbar module - but volvo said it wasn't possible to download the software as my car is MY20 and the fixed towbar software is only available to MY18... so it wouldn't activate it so the supplied electrics wouldn't work.

i originally tried the Volvo electrics as i didn't want to be cutting any wires.
interestingly though, i tracked this down - https://www.towbarandtrailercentre.c...l-048-13u.html
just plug and plays into existing volvo module for everything exluding the fog light. the fog light would require a splice into fog light wire, but i've not yet got around to doing that. rest of lights work okay and no error codes.

fitted this and connected up to Volvo towbar - works perfectly. it doesn't require a software download. but it doesn't change ABS/Stability settings when towing - i wasn't bothered about this as i only tow a small trailer to the allotment or a towbar bike carrier.

end result - £50 for genuine towbar; £50 courier for towbar; £110 for electrics.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote