Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Serious rookie mistake, GB fluid

Views : 3681

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 03:05   #51
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Maybe it's going to take a few more shifts to unstick the reverse cloggy bits?
So that will be about another £100 if by shifts you mean another 2x 20L?

I think i now remember why i went back to Lagunas.......

The double engagement is certainly new since the last flush through, although its not a bangy jolt like it was before.
Its like a gentle engagement, bit liek where the selector has made its choice, then a rough jolt engaging a few seconds later
Its the wait thats a bit annoying lol

Last edited by Bashy; Feb 18th, 2020 at 03:45.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 10:25   #52
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
So that will be about another £100 if by shifts you mean another 2x 20L?
I would hope that repeated shifting would free off any sludge and varnish. Reverse doesn't get used so often and may take a bit more time?
The fact that it has gone from hard to double soft I would take as a good sign.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 12:21   #53
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
I would hope that repeated shifting would free off any sludge and varnish. Reverse doesn't get used so often and may take a bit more time?
The fact that it has gone from hard to double soft I would take as a good sign.
Sounds more hope than i thought then, thank you, i will endeavour to use reverse a fair bit when i go out tomorrow, i have a 17 mile journey, i will have a play then, cheers again
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 17:53   #54
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi folks, put about 18L through it, taken it for a good run and given it the same amount of stick as i would to get it to show its true colours, it didnt happen, no lumps or jolts, so i tried harder, taking it through the gears many times and stil as smooth as a baby's butt, BUT, when i got home and used reverse, theres still a wee jolt but its a double jolt now, it seems worse from drive to reverse, Park to reverse is better, not as jolty. Thing is, there wasnt a double jolt before. I did the level on the level, about 2L flowed out. Im not sure if it was up to temp though but the engine certainly was. I wasnt sure how to do it with Vida to be honest and as i was already on th job and needed to wrap it up i just take a guess, if anything it was prob only about 30-40ºC cause it didnt feel too hot on my fingers, thoughts please, but i do like the way it was driving
My experience suggests that if you drive for about 15min, 1/2 of this at highway speeds, you will get to right temp range for verification. When you did the level adjustment you left the engine running right?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 18:09   #55
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
My experience suggests that if you drive for about 15min, 1/2 of this at highway speeds, you will get to right temp range for verification. When you did the level adjustment you left the engine running right?
No, the engine was off, is that bad :/
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 08:47   #56
Dippydog
Premier Member

Don't know if it's "bad" as such-although you may have emptied more fluid out than necessary.Level should always be checked/topped up with 'box in "P" or "N" [fluid warm] and engine ticking over.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 08:51   #57
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Don't know if it's "bad" as such-although you may have emptied more fluid out than necessary.Level should always be checked/topped up with 'box in "P" or "N" [fluid warm] and engine ticking over.
Thanks will do that next

Just done the 17 mile journey and the box is bad in reverse, a little jolt at lower speed in to 3rd up or down and same with 5th,but forward is deffo better, reverse is far worse

Gonna order low profile ramps so I can ramp the back and front at the same time and level check again....
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 15:43   #58
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
No, the engine was off, is that bad :/
As dippydog suggested. You would have emptied significantly more fluid than spec. Re-do when you can. You may find that your reverse issues go away.
I seem to remember doing the level-check thing with my 2010 (which also has same box) by just reaching in from the side without car up on ramps while car was running in street. worked just fine. Not sure if that helps you..

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:04   #59
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
As dippydog suggested. You would have emptied significantly more fluid than spec. Re-do when you can. You may find that your reverse issues go away.
I seem to remember doing the level-check thing with my 2010 (which also has same box) by just reaching in from the side without car up on ramps while car was running in street. worked just fine. Not sure if that helps you..
Damn, just ordered another 20L and low profile ramps for another go lol didn't realise you can reach under from the side, but then I can't get the drip pan underneath when it's on the ground, I was going do on the ground originally
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 18:09   #60
Brendan W
Premier Member

I've seen bigger letterboxes than the gap under a V70
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote